PDA

View Full Version : Simple question...

IndianCheese
April 28th, 2007, 21:57
Could someone give me a technical explanation as to why the PSP can handle supreme 3D graphics and animation in UMD games, but gets laggy with a simple Flash movie playback? Enlighten me to the secrets of this paradox.

jay641
April 29th, 2007, 11:45
Im guessing the flash player software isnt that great yet, maybe it will run better when it gets updated? The browser uses tons of memory by itself anyway so it could be because of that.
Maybe a standalone flash player would run better? I googled it but could only find stuff from before the official player was released

bah
April 29th, 2007, 16:44
The code for a PSP game is compiled well and is optimized for the hardware. The games were developed to take advantage of the hardware's good features and get around the bad ones as best they can with clever programming.

Flash on the other hand is generally quite bloated and its interpreted, and the flash plugin for the PSP is both an old version and just plain terrible like the rest of the browser under which it runs.

Its as if Sony don't want people to play flash games. Surprise surprise.

parkermauney
April 29th, 2007, 17:55
There is in fact a standalone flash player, but it takes VERY long to load, and there is no sound. It's about 20% as effecient as the browser.

http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2006/02/psp_homebrew_flash_player_with.html

Video_freak
April 29th, 2007, 18:03
Well, like bah said, the games are made form the ground up to utilize the best of the PSP. The web browser doesn't seem to use all 32MB of RAM or the 333 mhz CPU. Plus, flash files are made for a PC, which is far more powerful than just a PSP. So I guess flash videos are too much to ask for right now...

UNLESS, Sony wanted to be really nice and made a PSP flash player (not just a port of the comp version). That would be cool because there would probably be more compatibility and speed from the web browser and flash player.