PDA

View Full Version : PSP Update ver 1.51

Jdemon
May 21st, 2005, 02:45
I've just downloaded the update but I won't install it just yet...

I checked around but haven't been able to find any info on it so far... :confused:

Has anyone installed it or know anything about what is on the update? It's about 14 MB so I'm assuming there has got to be something noticeable other than any security patches.

xuphor
May 21st, 2005, 03:20
if no one knows if it can or can't run unsigned programs, try it. it might work, and you might havce found a cure for the 1.5

gtekman
May 21st, 2005, 04:01
if no one knows if it can or can't run unsigned programs, try it. it might work, and you might havce found a cure for the 1.5

Highly doubt Sony will make another mistake like that ;) Don't know though as I have not seen it yet. Guess we will have to wait

BigDAlcala
May 21st, 2005, 04:06
Um, I just installed it, and my PSP is frozen on a black screen and won't turn off. :(

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

xuphor
May 21st, 2005, 04:07
Um, I just installed it, and my PSP is frozen on a black screen and won't turn off. :(

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

i too late, i just read somewhere in the instruction manual not to install updates by yourself, need to call a sony person and ask how to do it :(

Onetonbullet
May 21st, 2005, 09:01
Wow....You have a very expensive paper weight...

Sony has not said anything about how to deal with bad flashes yet.

Good luck :(

BigDAlcala
May 21st, 2005, 09:44
My instruction booklet says nothing about contacting customer support for every update. It walks you through, step by step, and I followed each and every step. I'm calling customer support tomorrow.

dadrester
May 21st, 2005, 11:55
if they give you a reset code, it would be helpful for you to give details of it here. my mate's retail xbox died because of a corrupted save file (or partially installed update) so he gave it to me to have a look at. i ended up phoning MS and all they need is the serial number. depending on the serial number there is a series of button presses that resets the xbox to factory settings.

if this were the case with the psp, and we managed to figure out what code resets what serial numbers, it would most likely revert updated jap psp's to the 1.0 firmware (i assume, correct me if i'm wrong).

Onetonbullet
May 21st, 2005, 16:53
Alot of people have fried thier PSP's with firmware updates....

Where did you download it from?

Odie
May 21st, 2005, 17:05
Alot of people have fried thier PSP's with firmware updates....

Could you please provide some evidence of this? I seriously doubt many people have "fried" their PSPs when applying the official updates. The only time I have read of mass PSP deaths due to a firmware upgrade is when there was that initial leaked one with the placeholders for features such as a web browser and email client.

Onetonbullet
May 21st, 2005, 22:05
Could you please provide some evidence of this? I seriously doubt many people have "fried" their PSPs when applying the official updates. The only time I have read of mass PSP deaths due to a firmware upgrade is when there was that initial leaked one with the placeholders for features such as a web browser and email client.

I never said "official"......Thats why I asked him where he downloaded it from...................... ;)

Drift
May 21st, 2005, 22:45
I had a similar issue after downloading the update for Wipeout via the web site (with USB link), but plugging the PSP into the mains as you would to charge it made it start working again. Give it a try.

BigDAlcala
May 21st, 2005, 22:50
I downloaded the update with the auto-downloader from within my PSP, so it must be the official update. It also doesn't seem very parsimonius that I have an evil, malicious PSP that redirects me to false updates, but hey anything is possible.

I called Sony. They said that I would have to send my PSP in for repairs. The problem is I need another copy of my receipt from eBGames. So they told me to contact eBGames, have them look up my purchase with my serial number, and have them print me out a new receipt that shows proof and date of purchase.

I called an eBGames store in Marina Del Rey (310) 578-1896, and they said that their system is so shoddy that they can't look up past purchases with serial numbers. They said my best bet is to call home office (800) 800-5166, and have them look up my purchase with the serial number.

I called home office, and they said they couldn't help me because THE ONLY SERIAL NUMBERS THEY KEEP ON FILE ARE FOR CUSTOMERS WHO BOUGHT AN EBGAMES WARRANTY! I swear that pissed me off! They make you pay an extra $25 so they can do their job and be efficient! I didn't buy an eBGames warranty because I don't believe they deserve another $25 of my money when I have a Sony warranty that COMES WITH PURCHASE!

I called the Marina Del Rey store again and they again said that they couldn't help me at all. I have a feeling that they're giving me the run-around; sending me on a wild goose chase. But if I don't get this resolved, I will NEVER buy from eBGames again, and believe me, I am a long-standing customer who buys from them all the time.

My last resort was to contact eBGames online. Here is a copy of the e-Mail I sent them (serial numbers omitted for security reasons):

I need another copy of my receipt of payment for a Sony PSP that I had purchased at one of your stores. Here's the problem: I'm not sure which store I purchased it from. There are two possibilities: I could have purchased the PSP from the store in Marina Del Rey, or I could have purchased it from the store at Santa Monica Place in Santa Monica. I never visit the store on Pico and Lincoln so I couldn't have purchased it there.

I called the store in Marina Del Rey and they said they couldn't help me because all of their records are sent to home office, and that they couldn't look up the purchase with the bar code on my PSP. They gave me the following number to home office: (800)800-5166. I called that number, and they said that they couldn't help me, because the only bar codes they keep on file are the ones connected to eBGames warranty purchases (I opted not to purchase an eBGames warranty). I called the store in Marina Del Rey again and they said that I'm pretty much screwed (not in those words, though; they were very courteous).

I need your help. I find it unrealistic that no one from your company can look up a purchase tied to a unique bar code. If you can't, then that must be an amazingly outdated and shoddy system, which I truly hope is not the case. I will give you all of the bar codes that came with my PSP system:

THESE BAR CODES ARE ON THE BOX (* denotes a new bar code):
* POS BAR CODE: *omitted*
* UC2 PSP-1001 K 120V (This one has two bar codes): (First->) *omitted* (Second->) *omitted*
* Serial # for Registration: *omitted*

THIS SERIAL NUMBER IS ON MY PSP SYSTEM:
* *omitted*

THIS SERIAL NUMBER IS IN THE BATTERY PORT, FOUND UNDERNEATH THE BATTERY:
* *omitted*

It is imperative that I receive another printed receipt, showing proof and the date of purchase. I need to send my PSP in to Sony for repairs, and they require that I have a printed receipt. Please help!

I fired that e-Mail off about ten minutes ago. I will keep you all updated.

Jdemon
May 22nd, 2005, 13:40
That really sucks BigDAlcala :( I hope you are able to resolve this..but I'm guessing you aren't the only one who is gonna have this problem. SONY will have do something about it I would think if enough people end up with PSP's that don't do anything. This will be very bad for the PSP if they don't do something to fix it. I'm assuming you've tried everything you can think of to get it up and running. As of now I will boycott EBgames untill they help you and sign any kind of pettition (on/offline) you might want to make against them or Sony. And I think EB are full of crap that they don't have your serial number on file. I think no one wants to do the work involved to find it for you. They have to scan the serial number to keep track of the units they have sold, so they do have an electronic record of it somewhere on their computer system. Without the recipt it will be hard to figure out though...did you pay it with a credit or debit card? That might help to cross reference it.

I'm really lucky that I didn't install the update. Just for the record I also d/l from the PSP itself, and when it asked if I wanted to install or go to the menu I cancelled it and copied the file to my PC from the card. I tried using the PBPExplorer to see if I could find out any more info or extract any files...nothing that means anything to me in there except a png file.

:cool:

leggy
May 22nd, 2005, 18:36
Why on earth do sony need receipts?? No PSP's about today could be older than 12 months so they all are in warrenty!

Spark
May 22nd, 2005, 18:39
Because like every other major corporation on Earth, they're bullshitters who believe that paperwork, red tape, and pointless beauracracy are the way to big cash pay offs.

BigDAlcala
May 22nd, 2005, 21:08
Jdemon - Thank you for your support, but don't boycott EB for me, but rather because you yourself think they're full of it. The thing is I didn't use a credit card or a debit card; I payed with cash.

Here's an update from eBGames via e-Mail:

Hello Dana,

Thank you for contacting EBgames.com. Only the store may give out
proof-of-purchase information. We will not be able to assist you in
this
matter. We recommend you contact the store in which you placed your
purchase for more information.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to respond to this
email. You can also give us a call at 877-432-9675, 7 days a week from
8 am to Midnight Eastern Standard Time.

Best Regards,
Gunnar
EBgames.com

N/A

And here was my heated response to their BS'ing:

This is rediculous! You guys are giving me the run-around! I call the store and they say they can't help me, and to call home office; I call home office and they say they can't help me, and now I E-Mail you guys and you tell me you can't help me and to call the store! What gives? Why is it so hard for someone to give me correct information? Why must I be given the shaft by everyone I contact in your company? This should be easy, not a hassle. Why is it such a hassle?

I contacted you guys because you were my last resort. I need your help. If the store can give me the proper information, could any of you guys call them? They've already sent me on a wild goose chase, and I wouldn't put it past them to try it again. Please help me.

Oh yeah, I think Sony needs a receipt not only for the date of purchase, but also the proof of purchase. I assume it would be a bad idea to work on a stolen unit, which is semi-understandable.

PSPmadness
May 22nd, 2005, 21:49
i have updated my PSP it is for secuity purposes
when it is instaling it say upgrading and says something about
secuity purposes. It didnt mess my PSP it still looks the same
but i didnt try runing any emu yet

Zeno
May 22nd, 2005, 21:51
I'm pretty sure no emus will run on 1.5 or above.

Spark
May 22nd, 2005, 22:25
By security purposes, I'm quite sure that it's referring to Sony's protection against the execution of unsigned code.

It has jackshit to do with any sort of Network Security.

Jdemon
May 23rd, 2005, 20:04
PSPmadness - So you ran the 1.51 install? And there's nothing different as far as you can tell? (visuals/options/ect)
That's an awful lot of data (14mb) for no noticeable difference.

BigDAlcala - I think they are giving you the run-around because to find that information is going to be alot of work. I would assume it's suppose to fall under the store manager. Perhaps you should contact Sony again and explain your situation and try to find someone sympathetic to your problem. We all know EBgames couldn't give a crap, but Sony should. Perhaps they can send you some kind of "official request order" or something...in any case it's gonna take you alot of phone time to get any answers I think.

BigDAlcala
May 23rd, 2005, 21:11
Jdemon - I agree. If I don't get another e-Mail response from EBgames by tomorrow morning, I'm going back on the phone with Sony.

Zeno
May 23rd, 2005, 22:18
I think I'm going to attempt to upgrade. I have a replacement plan on it for 2 years, so even if it does break, I get a new one for free.

[EDIT] Would anyone "want" me to upgrade? I won't upgrade anytime soon unless someone would like me to as a test.

I've been looking over the offical forums. No one really had any problems. Here's the update screen:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/mattwitter86/Photo1.jpg

That's all it is for the update, it seems.

BigDAlcala
May 24th, 2005, 04:10
Zeno - Yeah that's the same screen I had before I installed it and it killed my PSP.

This is hopefully some good news from EBGames end:

Hello Dana,

Thank you for contacting EBgames.com.

We apologize for the inconvenience and the confusion. Since the system
was purchased within the last three months, we will need some
additional
information in order to try and pull up the transaction information.
If
you could provide any or some of the following details relating to the
transaction, it would assist us:

Relative date of purchase (or around what date),

Form of payment (if it was purchased with a credit card, the last four
digits of the card number will assist us),

Total for the transaction,

Items that were purchased,

Your zip code (so that we can pull up the store information for the
Santa Monica Place store and the Marina Del Rey location).

If you have any other questions, please feel free to respond to this
email. You can also give us a call at 877-432-9675, 7 days a week from
8 am to Midnight Eastern Standard Time.

Best Regards,
Derek
EBgames.com

Here is my reply:

I really appreciate you looking into this matter for me. You don't know how much it means to me. Here is the additional information you requested:

The PSP was purchased about a month and a half ago. I'm sorry but I don't know the exact date as I don't have the receipt.

The form of payment was unfortunately cash. I am very sorry that such is the case, and I understand that it makes your job a lot harder. I apologize for this.

I believe the only item I purchased was the PSP value pack (the one that comes with the headphones, memory stick duo, etc.). This was not bundled with any games or other accessories, so I believe the retail price was either $249.99 or $250.00. Add on 8.25% California sales tax to either price and you get (rounded up) either $270.62 (original price: $249.99) or $270.63 (original price: $250.00) OR (rounded down) $270.61 (original price: $249.99.) $250.00 will always round up to $270.63.

My zip code is *omitted*. I am quite certain that I purchased the unit at the Marina Del Rey store, so you should check that one first.

Thank you! I am sorry for any inconvenience that this brings you. It's just that it's very important that I get another copy of the receipt for this transaction. I really appreciate your help! :)

Odie
May 24th, 2005, 10:31
BigDAlcla: I am sympathetic to your situation, however your purchasing circumstances mean that you are highly unlikely to get your reciept. Just based on:

1. You don't know the exact date of purchase

2. You paid by cash, and not some form of card

3. You bought just the PSP

4. You are not sure which store you purchased from

I would think there could be tens, even hundreds of similar transactions in the date range you gave.

I personally still don't understand why Sony are insisting on a reciept. The "proof of purchase" excuse is flimsy at best.

Good luck though, I hope it works out for you.

- Odie

BigDAlcala
May 24th, 2005, 18:14
Well, I'm keeping all of my e-Mails with EBGames, and if this doesn't work out with them, then I'm going to show them to Sony to show that I at least tried to get a copy of the receipt.

Also, I gave EBGames the serial numbers, so theoretically, they should be able to match up the receipt with the serial numbers.

obelisk
May 24th, 2005, 18:27
yay 4 psp i hope it tkes over every site it can.