PDA

View Full Version : Sony doomed? Hardly. . . .

YourStillWithMe
May 1st, 2007, 20:35
Alright everyone, I am seriously sick of people saying "Sony sucks" "There doomed" etc etc.

The ps3's launch was not 100% perfect but lets go back in time just a little bit here.

Ps1-I'm sure a good 90% of you loved the ps1, bought it and it did a lot better than the N64.

First system war involing sony=Sony wins!

Next came the war between the Gamecube (Nintendo) Xbox, and the PS2. Seeing as ps2 is still strong with games being made and they dont make gamecubes anymore and the xbox games are basically extinct, id say sony is kicking ace with the sony playstation 2. You all love the playstation 2 games (God of war, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Tekken, NBA Lives, etc.) PS2 was/is a great system

Handhelds? Alright, so Sony's psp was not AWESOME but its demand has increased with the new price drop. Dont forget that Nintendo ONLY makes video games! That is THEIR job. Sony makes Vaio computers, T.Vs, computer monitors, cameras, Stereos, walkmans, and tons of other things. Sony is not stupid, they are not in trouble.

Sony is still making money off of there previous console the ps2, while the other competitors are out of the running. In some areas, the ps2 actually sells better than the ps3, sony is not done.

PLZKLLME0080
May 1st, 2007, 20:38
ya, any1 sayint that sony is doomed is RETARDED!

lmtlmt
June 26th, 2007, 04:17
yer, i know what ya mean

yaustar
June 26th, 2007, 18:14
They are not doomed but they need to do something soon to stay top in general.

IE: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/stock-war/nintendo-briefly-nudges-sony-out-of-japans-top-10-companies-271863.php

When a 'Games only' company nudges a general consumer electronic giant off a spot like that, then alarm bell rings.

bah
June 26th, 2007, 18:28
The Sony brand name hasn't meant much to me in consumer electronics outside games since they stopped having 'Made in Japan' written on them.

They are far from doomed but hardly reaching the potential that the consumer recognition of their brand name affords due to bad management decisions.

-Xandu-
June 26th, 2007, 18:56
Sony failed in the next gen wars due to the PS3's high price.
http://nexgenwars.com/images/all_forum2.jpg (http://nexgenwars.com/)

VampDude
June 27th, 2007, 23:23
I've never seen or heard anyone saying that SONY is doomed? They've just failed with the PS3, but that will all be sorted by this time next year!

Cap'n 1time
June 28th, 2007, 05:05
I wouldnt say they are doomed... They just arnt doing as well as they SHOULD be.

Sony produced the best selling console for the past two generations of game machines, so it shouldnt be that surprising that people have high expectations. For now, the stats suggest that sony is not doing well at all. It is possible that Sony still could come out on top within the next 4+ years and probable that they will improve their current status. People that say it is a doomed machine dont like sony and never will. I myself havnt cared for the playstation since the original but I'm not dumb enough to call it a doomed console.

Balthasar00
June 28th, 2007, 06:19
Sony failed in the next gen wars due to the PS3's high price.

''the next gen war'' is still in the embryon stade. Not even a years have passed since the Wii and Ps3 release.
It is possible that Sony still could come out on top within the next 4+ years and probable that they will improve their current status I think that way. They are repeating the ps2 story. Wich is not a bad thing. Blu-ray technology costs, Wii success and lack of third party games sure affected them but Sony SCE is far from buried. PS3 is the overall best system for long term. They didn't release yet their Halo/Zelda hot stuff.. I won't complain until that time. The cure will come soon. :D

-Xandu-
June 28th, 2007, 09:28
''the next gen war'' is still in the embryon stade. Not even a years have passed since the Wii and Ps3 release.
Okay.. Sony WILL fail, look at the Nintendo DS and the PSP, the Nintendo DS sold 40.29 million units (including 21.85 million DS Lite sales) as of the first quarter of 2007, the Sony PSP sold only 11.21 million in United States and Japan. Which is most likely to happen between the PS3 and the Wii due to overprice.

bah
June 28th, 2007, 11:41
The PS3 is an expensive game console but a cheap blue ray player.

I surely wont be buying one till it has a few price reductions, but for people wanting to watch HD movies then its really not a bad choice.

It certainly isn't going to be as clear cut as the last gen with the PS2 far ahead and xbox/cube a fairly distant second. The 360 has sold quite well and has had a reasonable head start.

Sony held the exclusivity card to a lot of good games with GTA etc in the last gen just as Nintendo did in the NES/SNES era against sega. Nintendo's control of exclusives seemed to diminish to just first party games with the 64/cube as sony took their dominant place which they held going onto the ps2.

This time around publishers seem more determined to release their games on both thankfully.

Balthasar00
June 28th, 2007, 19:05
Okay.. Sony WILL fail, look at the Nintendo DS and the PSP, the Nintendo DS sold 40.29 million units (including 21.85 million DS Lite sales) as of the first quarter of 2007, the Sony PSP sold only 11.21 million in United States and Japan. Which is most likely to happen between the PS3 and the Wii due to overprice.

You can't compare bananas with apples.

Nin and handleds are melted together since the old Game Boy era. Handled systems don't need amazing graphics and suround audio. Not costly, fun and innovative. That's the DS and that the deffinition of success in handled departement. PSP clairly showed it. The consoles world however, have differents rules. Sales domination is an important factor.. and in that way, the xbox 360 is more dangerous for the PS3 than the Wii since they fight on the same level. The Wii market is different. The wii will be more and more isolated from ''next gen'' releases and PS3 price will certainly drop in the next quarter.

Look at the up comings Soul calibure, GTA IV, Assassin's Creed, Oblivion..

http://curmudgeongamer.com/imgdisplay.php3?shotfile=console-prices-relative.png

Here's an interesting graph showing that the PS3 is cheaper than the Saturn was at launch. according to inflation.

At least, this time, the expense is well worth! :P

Shadowblind
June 28th, 2007, 19:08
Oh no, Sony's not doomed. I hope high as heck they can regain themselves, but they dont learn. Ever, apparently. Sony Pictures and Sony Electronics will carry on the company. The PS3 may have -1 good game for it and have caused Sony to go partially bankrupt, but you know...

The expense? Why would I pay $600 for something with 360 graphics, no acheivments and with no good games?

-Xandu-
June 28th, 2007, 19:12
You can't compare bananas with apples.

Nin and handleds are melted together since the old Game Boy era. Handled systems don't need amazing graphics and suround audio. Not costly, fun and innovative. That's the DS and that the deffinition of success in handled departement. PSP clairly showed it. The consoles world however, have differents rules. Sales domination is an important factor.. and in that way, the xbox 360 is more dangerous for the PS3 than the Wii since they fight on the same level. The Wii market is different. The wii will be more and more isolated from ''next gen'' releases and PS3 price will certainly drop in the next quarter.

Look at the up coming Soul calibure, GTA IV..

http://curmudgeongamer.com/imgdisplay.php3?shotfile=console-prices-relative.png

Here's an interesting graph showing that the PS3 is cheaper than the Saturn was at launch. according to inflation.

At least, this time, the expense is well worth! :P

It's not all about graphics in my opinion. I've played both, PS3 and the Wii. And the Wii seems to be more fun than the PS3..

Ken Kutaragi himself retired when he saw the PS3's failure.

Look at the up coming Soul calibure, GTA IV..
Look at the upcoming: Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid : Corruption, Red Steel 2, H.A.M.M.E.R, Wii Ware and more..

I agree with ShadowBlind, PS3 has about, 2 or 3 good games I'm looking forward to playing.

Classic80s
June 29th, 2007, 09:45
"If you can find a PS3 anywhere in North America that's been on shelves for more than five minutes, I'll give you 1200 bucks for it."

I don't know what but I still find that funny after 6 months! More on in the link below.
http://next-generationsystems.blogspot.com/2007/06/sonys-greatest-quotes.html

VampDude
July 1st, 2007, 23:01
The PS3 is an expensive game console but a cheap blue ray player.

The BluRay player probably isn't as good as a full priced stand alone BluRay player, the DVD player on the PS2's DVD compatability wasn't that good for the PS2 to be considered a cheap DVD player...

...In a year or so the BluRay feature on release date PS3's won't work as well as they should (cheaply made), I found that out with the PS2 back in 2001 when I had my PS2 a whole year. A £299.99 (Nov2000 launch price) games console with DVD capability, whereas the PS3 is a £399.99 games console with BluRay compatibility - I wouldn't class it as a player based on compatibility, people made that mistake of saying the same with the PS2