PDA

View Full Version : OE firmware in DevHook?

nakko
May 1st, 2007, 23:45
Is it possible to install a custom OE firmware into Devhook? In other words, I'd like to install an OE firmware, but not actually have it touch my flash0: or flash1:.

My PSP is pristine, original, out of the box 1.5 and I intend to keep it that way for all of eternity, you see...

Any ideas? Thanks!

Cloudhunter
May 2nd, 2007, 01:07
No, I'm afraid you can't.

Get with the times and update ;) You can always go back down if you don't like it.

Cloudy

krazykarl
May 2nd, 2007, 03:15
just install the oe, there is absolutely no reason why 1.5 is better than oe

HAMMIEZ
May 2nd, 2007, 16:08
i felt the same way - i was worried about bricking etc. but i just went for it and upgraded to OE firmware and i will never regret it :thumbup:

nakko
May 2nd, 2007, 16:15
Nah. I'll stick with 1.5.

So, nobody has gotten any OE to work through Devhook?

jak66
May 2nd, 2007, 19:47
its impossible

oe itself is sort of like devhook as it boots 1.50, which in turn boots the 3.XX kernal

just upgrade, or by a second hand psp and upgrade that.
you wont regret it, just like everyone else that abandoned their precious 1.5 for psx capabilities

nakko
May 2nd, 2007, 20:36
I don't really have any PSX games, only thing I really was looking forward to was 480x272 AVC... Even though I used to be a big fan of PMPMOD, it gets tiresome converting the vids to something so non-standard.

So, again, it is really not worth it, for me, to upgrade from 1.5. I am not interested in upgrading. Yes, I know I can upgrade, tyvm, and yes, I know it comes with a revert tool, and yes, I know that there's only a small chance of bricking. Interesting to know that the firmware is booting 1.5 in there anyway, I guess I wasn't aware of that, so good info.

I don't need (more) people telling me to upgrade -- that's pretty much exactly what I did not ask.

Still, you would think that it is theoretically possible, if Devhook can run other firmwares, why wouldn't it be able to run an OE firmware? The only reason right now is just that OE's don't come in EBOOT.PBP format -- in other words, the firmware installers out there at present do not have the ability to install a firmware based on just the DATA.DXAR.

What if I installed 1.50 FW in Devhook? I could then boot that and upgrade that. How might I go about installing a 1.50 FW in Devhook though, is that possible?

pt9087
May 2nd, 2007, 23:38
Good choise... stick with 1.5 because that exactly what i would of done, why would you want 3.xx OE devhook when you wont be able to get to recovery menu (unless eboot) and there aint much difference between devhook firmware and OE firmware!

SSaxdude
May 3rd, 2007, 00:11
Upgrade to 3.40 OE-A, you won't regret it. If you brick on a 1.5, you're screwed. Plus, 3.40 OE-A works better than Dev Hook because nothing is emulated. Sure, having a virgin PSP seems nice, but you'll use your PSP more if you have a custom firmware on it.

nakko
May 3rd, 2007, 17:37
Okay, one more time!

Upgrade to 3.40 OE-A, you won't regret it.

This thread is about how to get OE firmware running in Devhook.
This thread is not about telling me to just upgrade to OE natively. I am not going to. If I wanted to, there are already lots of threads and tutorials and easy-upgraders and tons of info on how to do that. One more post is not going to convince anyone.

Okay, with that out of the way, is there a way to get 1.5 FW running in Devhook? That would mean, at least at first, you would be running 1.5 and Devhooking to 1.5.

Another shot in the dark theory: What if someone extracted all the relevant files from flash0: and flash1: and copied them over into an appropriate Devhook folder on the MS of a 1.5 PSP, and tried to get that to run? Would that just not work? I am not really clear on the specifics of what has to happen to get FW into Devhook.

I think this would be a good way for people to test out other OE firmwares, see what their benefits are, what changed, etc, before going to them natively. No muss, no fuss. Why is there resistance to this idea? If it could be done, why not do it?

Video_freak
May 4th, 2007, 02:12
It should be easy. We just need a flash dumper for OE firmwares. I'd like it too...

nakko
May 5th, 2007, 17:28
Could we maybe just pester some of the folks? Like the guys responsible for the Devhook firmware installer... and the Devhook guys to make sure that whatever number OE FW is supported in its menus...

Wonder what it might take to convince them; I hope it's as easy as just having the raw materials (flash dumper like you're saying, Video_freak) and getting them integrated.

HAMMIEZ
May 5th, 2007, 18:32
I suppose we could get a firmware dump using the usb f0 and f1 in the recovery menu...

jak66
May 5th, 2007, 22:24
Look, if it were possible it would have been done by now. OE (and SE) has been out for ages and has been dumpable since the start.

However problems that arise from that are;
1)The dumps are encripted/sig-checked. Even if you had a dump from a PSP, you wouldn't be able to use it.
2)Sharing firmware dumps is illegal. Sure, it'd be easy enough to find them, but still...

If you really want to pursue this matter, ask at the lan.sh forums, that would be the best place to get a definate answer.

nakko
May 7th, 2007, 16:03
Look, if it were possible it would have been done by now. OE (and SE) has been out for ages and has been dumpable since the start.

Or maybe most people (everyone?) just got the same answer everyone gave me: "just install OE".

However problems that arise from that are;
1)The dumps are encripted/sig-checked. Even if you had a dump from a PSP, you wouldn't be able to use it.

2)Sharing firmware dumps is illegal. Sure, it'd be easy enough to find them, but still...

Greater problems have been overcome when dealing with PSP firmware... I just have a hard time believing that I can install original Sony firmware updates into Devhook, but somehow OE is out of reach. It just needs an installer to Devhook folders rather than flash0 & flash1... right? Is there no way to package OE into an UPDATE.PBP?

If you really want to pursue this matter, ask at the lan.sh forums, that would be the best place to get a definate answer.

Well, ok... I don't want to just give up though!

zoson
May 11th, 2007, 18:56
I believe the issue is that you cannot use decrypted RCO's with devhook.

As long as this issue stands, we will never be able to run an OE firmware out of devhook.

parkermauney
May 12th, 2007, 02:22
No update.pbp, because the file created while installing (data.dxar) is illegal to distribute.

nakko
May 14th, 2007, 21:38
Right, but what about installing 1.50 in Devhook? And then, while running that, run the OE updates?

Could that work?

hartleyshc
May 15th, 2007, 04:40
you cant run OE in devhook. you cant install OE in devhook either.
you will need an update to devhook before you could even think about running OE in devhook.
DA has explained this a few times. devhook in its current state cant handle both kernels being loaded and the switching between the two.

jason215
May 15th, 2007, 08:36
So your Definitif Awnser Is No u cant

if u really want to emulate it why go to that much trouble when u just can upgrade ?

But hey its your call

nakko
May 15th, 2007, 21:06
DA has explained this a few times. devhook in its current state cant handle both kernels being loaded and the switching between the two.

(mild rant, hashin!)
If this is truly the case, if DA has gone on record stating it, it woulda been nice to see that posted somewhere a lot earlier instead of a slew of the "just install OE" type of posts; I think I know I can "just install OE" and if I wanted to do that, I wouldn't start a topic about not installing OE.
(mild rant over)

If it can't be done, it can't be done, so I either won't go to OE, I'll get some other cheap / used PSP to bork around with, etc. I am going to go ahead and leave my 1.5FW virgin and pristine, since I have counted roughly one zillion times in a row how people have done this or that to their PSP's and then said, "oh damn! if only!" when something cooler comes out that works best on 1.5.

I may have started this just in time to be totally moot, however, thanks to this (http://www.psp-devolution.com/). (Although I think many if not most would be just as justifiably squeamish about installing that thing... :eek: )

preetyforu
January 5th, 2008, 13:02
i have been doing that all day and some games work but the game i want to play (metal gear solid portable ops) wont work, and i dont want it to get repaired by sony because my 3.40oe-a firmware will be gone,