PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question: How do you play UMDS without updating your system? 1.50 user.

danondorf
May 2nd, 2007, 09:08
I am fairly new to the PSP homebrew scene and I sucessfully installed emulators for NES, SNES, Genesis and GBA. I am a 1.50 user; how does one go about playing UMDS without updating their system?

I want to buy Metal Gear Portable Ops and Tekken DR but I am afraid I may accidently update my system without meaning to.

Any suggestions? Sorry for the lame question, as I said I am still completely new to this (2 days now and loving this system).

Thanks in advance ;)

-Xandu-
May 2nd, 2007, 09:13
You could update to the latest Open Edition firmware 3.40 OE. It has homebrew and firmware functions in one ;).

danondorf
May 2nd, 2007, 09:15
Is that necessarily safe? Any risk involved? Could you please tell me how or where I get this or info on it?

Thanks

-Xandu-
May 2nd, 2007, 09:21
Here is a step by step guide for installing 3.40 OE-A. Please note that you must be running 1.50, or any of the OE series firmware to begin this installation.

First grab the 3.40 OE-A files. (http://exophase.com/files/psp/340_oea.rar)

1. Copy oeupdmaker and oeupdmaker% to X:/PSP/GAME if you are in 1.50, or to X:/PSP/GAME150 if you are running OE.

2. Now download the 1.50 and 3.40 updates which you can grab below:
1.50 Update (http://72.29.74.204/~exophase/external/150.PBP)
3.40 Update (http://du01.psp.update.playstation.org/update/psp/image/us/2007_0419_58101e3f6e897725ac55ec1ae3dc07a0/EBOOT.PBP)

3. Place these 2 updates in the oeupdmaker folder and ensure they are named exactly like this 150.PBP and 340.PBP. Now navigate to the game menu on your PSP and execute the update maker. It will take a few minutes to create the file, once finished a DATA.DXAR will be found in the oeupdmaker folder.

Please note: If you get an error message that says "Invalid SHA-1" when creating the DXAR do not proceed further. This means you have a faulty memory stick and a corrupt DATA.DXAR was created. Start over using a different memory stick.

4. Copy 340oeflasher and 340oeflasher% to X:/PSP/GAME if you are in 1.50, or to X:/PSP/GAME150 if you are running OE.

5. Copy the DATA.DXAR created in step 3 to the 340oeflasher folder.

6. Navigate to the game menu on your PSP, run the 3.40 OE-A flasher and follow the on screen instructions. Once done your PSP will now be running 3.40 OE-A

It's not too risky unless you pull the plug while it's updating ;), just follow the steps and you'll be fine :).

danondorf
May 2nd, 2007, 09:53
Thanks so much. Just installed it 100% successfully.

So, browsing the net is now available and I can play all UMDS?

Axelius
May 2nd, 2007, 16:13
Just one word: Yes.

Gene
May 5th, 2007, 20:32
Just one word: Yes.

Actually a few have some minor glitches.

for example, my favorite game, Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters, has infrastructure mode, but for some reason on OE firmwares it doesn't work. So I just use Devhook whenever I want to play online. and that works for me.

xg917
May 5th, 2007, 21:08
i wonder if u can swap umds. like.. start up a game that works with 1.50 then imediately switch umds and it would load up the game that is inside the psp.
i just did it but..
1) im on OE FW
2) i tried it with 2 GTA LCS umds..

Gene
May 5th, 2007, 23:50
i wonder if u can swap umds. like.. start up a game that works with 1.50 then imediately switch umds and it would load up the game that is inside the psp.
i just did it but..
1) im on OE FW
2) i tried it with 2 GTA LCS umds..

For firmware 1.50, it worked for some very early games but it never worked for games that required 2.0 or higher. And it worked because you are running a firmware that already supports both games.