PDA

View Full Version : ds slot only homebrew

gamerremag
May 2nd, 2007, 22:39
yea, i went out and bought a ds, and what are my options for ds slot only homebrew. i dont want to bother with the gba and ds slot because i dont want to do any of that flash me, wifi flash or whatever. so what are some goo ds slot only options i have (or if there is gba only that you can play ds backups on)

i dont mind buying memory cards, but if its cheaper, ill get them.:thumbup:

*sigh* lunch money can only go so far......

V3N0M
May 2nd, 2007, 23:09
Well I decided to go into the DS Homebrew Scene as well. So after a ton of researching I found that the M3 Simply & M3 Lite Perfect are the best solution. These two devices combined get just about 100% compatibility with ( DS&GBA ) back-ups as well with most Homebrew content. The M3 Simply is a Slot 1 device while M3 Lite Perfect is a Slot 2 device. So they can work in unison, The M3 Simply and M3 Lite Perfect both use Micro SD cards for memory. In my opinion these work best together and are the best options. Not to mention a hell of a lot less complicated than other solutions. ;)

DanTheManMS
May 2nd, 2007, 23:13
Your main options are:
1. R4 or M3 Simply - both are basically the same thing - fairly cheap, easy to use, stores programs on removable microSD cards
2. Supercard DS - you have to manually set the save size for each game, but the new firmware update gives several options other carts don't have, like the ability to add and modify cheats while the game is actually running. Uses microSD cards as well.
3. DS-Xtreme - built-in 512 MB or 1 GB of space, but very expensive and slightly lower homebrew compatibility. Not really recommended anymore
4. Datel Games N Music - doesn't work with most homebrew at all due to the lack of a DLDI file, and boots only homebrew and media files
5. The N-card clones, which include the MagicKey 5, DS-linker, Express Card, and more. These have built-in flash memory as well, and I've heard that they're actually pretty good. However, their DLDI file is read-only, so you can't write to the card from within DS homebrew.
6. The EZ-Flash V. Much like the first two, uses microSD cards and is fairly well supported.

Of these, I'd recommend, either the R4/M3 Simply, Supercard DS, or EZ-V. MicroSD cards allow you to cheaply expand your storage capacity rather than buying a whole new unit.

I know DealExtreme has a good deal where you get an R4 and a 1 GB microSD card for around $40, but I've also heard that their shipping is rather slow. RealHotStuff is more expensive but ships within days (I got my product 3 days after ordering).

gamerremag
May 5th, 2007, 15:44
thanks guys, sorry couldnt write back earlier. i decided to go along with the r4 :)