PDA

View Full Version : SLOT-1 or SLOT-2

XioN980
May 3rd, 2007, 14:31
I've got an M3 DS-Simply but it sucks that pretty much everything that doesn't support dldi doesn't work and that a lot of dldi stuff is limited in what it can do
I also wanna run my gba backups....

In a nutshell:

Do SLOT-2 sets support .nds file homebrew as well as .ds.gba stuff?

Which one is reccommended (I must admit the MK5 setup looks good)

gimme some ideas :D :D :D

DanTheManMS
May 3rd, 2007, 14:48
slot-2 devices support DS binaries and GBA binaries. A .ds.gba file is actually a DS binary that's made to run off a GBA flash cart. A regular .gba file is a GBA binary, and only slot-2 cards will run them.

The MK5 is a slot-1 device and as such it won't run any GBA binaries. That slot-2 part is only used for flashing the memory within the slot-1 card.

If you want a true slot-2 device, the Supercard (not Rumble) or M3 (not Pro) is recommended. If you want a combo deal (sort of like what you thought the MK5 was) you can get a slot-1 device like the M3 Simply combined with the slot-2 EZ-V "3 in 1" expansion pack, which will give you GBA playback and extra RAM for use with homebrew that uses it.

XioN980
May 4th, 2007, 12:03
1) what do you use?
2) Can slot-2 devices run flat .nds binaries?
3) does the EZ-flash 3 in 1 run gba binaries of itself or off your slot-1 cart?

Cheers

tim (Xion)

DanTheManMS
May 4th, 2007, 23:52
1. I personally use a Supercard miniSD and a Superkey (though I flashed my firmware to remove the need for the Superkey)
2. What do you mean by "flat"? You'll need to patch many homebrew games with DLDI before they will recognize the filesystem. This is true of any homebrew device.
3. You use the EZ-V patcher program on the computer to patch the GBA binaries and then store them on your slot-1 microSD card. You then write the files to the expansion pack using a program on the DS itself. It only holds one GBA file at a time though, but you can have as many GBA files on your microSD card as you want.

XioN980
May 5th, 2007, 02:05
cheers