PDA

View Full Version : Review: Sony PSP-290 GPS Receiver

bandit
May 4th, 2007, 01:41
Sony PSP-290 GPS Receiver
Manufacturer: Sony
Site : Buy from Goldenshop (http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/psp/offgps.htm)
Price: $59.99

Overview : The position measurement system “GPS which utilizes the radio wave from the satellite (Global Positioning System)” in PSP®. PSP® furthermore evolves conveniently by combining PSP® exclusive use “GPS receiver” with the corresponding software. The various software appear, from practical tool such as navigation software and the action game which utilize the function only of GPS to the game.

Specs :

Reception frequency: 1575.42Mhz (L1 band, C/A cord/code)
Reception method: Channel 20
Reception sensitivity: Pursuit: - 153dBm; Supplementation: - 140dBm
Determination renewal time: Approximately 1 second
Determination precision: 5m (2DRMS, - 130dBm)
External size: Approximately 45 × 41 × 17mm (width x height x depth)
Mass: Approximately 16g
Contents ones: GPS receiver ×1; Private case ×1

Software that uses GPS Receiver (Japanese games only) :

Portable Homestar (SEGA)
Metal Gear Solid Portable OPS (Konami)
Hot Shots Golf 2 (aka Minna no Golf Ba - SONY)
MAPLUS: Portable Navi (Edia)
Minna no Map 2 (Zenrin)
MapThis! (http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/) (Homebew app by Deniska)

Quality/Usability : Sony released the PSP-290 GPS Receiver in Japan in March 2006. Since than, no other country has received the GPS device. Software? Japan only. The only map applications released for the PSP-290 was MAPLUS: Portable Navi and Minna no Map 2 which were released only in Japan. A couple of games also use the GPS device, Metal Gear Solid Portable OPS, Hot Shots Golf 2 and Portable Homestar. Games will also work in the US and US games (if available) as well but is aimed more towards Japanese gamers as the PSP-290 is only released in Japan.

North America and Europeans were left out to scratch their heads and wonder to themselves, when are we going to get our own? There is no release date planned. With that said, since Sony has not released this product anywhere other than Japan, this review is only based on the use of MapThis! (http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/) by DCEmu's very own, Deniska. While the application is still being worked on everyday, it is not perfect. Deniska and other contributors are working hard each day trying to improve MapThis! and include features for future versions.

uqzbWHOLLrc (credit: deniska)

You can make your own maps from Google Maps or Microsoft Virtual Earth by using in7ane's Window map download tool here (http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/windows-maps-download-tool-for-mapthis-by-in7ane-33068.html).

The PSP-290 GPS Receiver is fairly small. It attaches to the USB port on top of the PSP and is held in place with two screws. The antenna can be placed in several positions whether it be up or closed. Using Deniska's MapThis! app, it takes about anywhere from 30 seconds to a couple of minutes for the GPS Receiver to lock on to some satellites depending on your location. Also, considering MapThis! is not by Sony, there will be some issues but Deniska is working hard, day and night to resolve issues.

Conclusion : Overall, the Sony PSP-290 GPS Receiver is a nice product but the support is lacking. The GPS Receiver is only available in Japan with no release date for North America or Europe. MapThis! is the only app for non-Japanese users. The reception is not as strong compared to an actual GPS receiver such as Holux. With the PSP-290 attached to the PSP, it would not fit in a PlayGear Pocket or any hardcases. Luckily, Sony included a little plastic case to hold the GPS Receiver.

I would love to see Sony actually release the product in other countries. This will definitely bring more hardware sales for the PSP. But for the time being, we have MapThis! and I can not wait to see what new features Deniska has planned (hint: turn by turn sound)

Images via comments

Psyberjock
May 4th, 2007, 04:24
I have to point out an inaccuracy. Homestar Portable and ESPECIALLY MGS:PO, BOTH work in the US and do so with GPS support. While you would need some understanding of the Japanese language to fully appreciate Homestar, it is easy to operate even for those who cannot and of course MGS:PO is available in the States in English.

bandit
May 4th, 2007, 05:15
I have to point out an inaccuracy. Homestar Portable and ESPECIALLY MGS:PO, BOTH work in the US and do so with GPS support. While you would need some understanding of the Japanese language to fully appreciate Homestar, it is easy to operate even for those who cannot and of course MGS:PO is available in the States in English.
Although true, the PSP-290 was released in Japan so i wasnt really reviewing from the US viewpoint..kinda. But will update review. Thanks for pointing that out.

Basil Zero
May 4th, 2007, 05:52
Interesting piece of equipment.

how reliable is this compared to other GPS devices like Tom Tom?

bandit
May 4th, 2007, 06:00
Interesting piece of equipment.

how reliable is this compared to other GPS devices like Tom Tom?
Considering there is no official software in the US or Europe from Sony, its not reliable. The only application we have to use is the homebrew, MapThis! and the app isnt 100%. If you were to use this in Japan with one of the softwares that Sony offers, then this would be reliable.

Some users in the US have used the PSP-290 and MapThis! and it works but there were instances where they went under an overpass for a couple of seconds and the GPS Receiver lost reception. Others in other countries have no problems using MapThis!

wraggster
May 4th, 2007, 08:37
had to reduce the videos down to 1, for some strange reason they were making the pages take ages to load. everything should be much faster now :)

bandit
May 4th, 2007, 19:45
Thanks wraggy!

gametoptech
June 6th, 2007, 12:11
Tks

www.piv.cn
June 6th, 2007, 12:38
see

VampDude
June 28th, 2007, 02:26
I might get one of these when there is more support and more reliable/accurate! :D

inch
July 7th, 2007, 19:47
hi can any one help me please. Im in the uk and have a psp-290 and can not get it to work have had mapthis working but the psp-290 does not switch on. have been though the cofig file that does nothing lol. have been try to sort it for day its just **** me off now lol.
thanks inch:)

Japairish
February 4th, 2008, 07:55
hello, great review but I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me.

Does the GOS receiver enhance the gameplay of MGS: PO / Homestar / Minna no Golf v2 that is reasonable for the price and shipping cost (in your opinion)

How long does the receiver last in terms of battery life? in other words, how long can I use MapThis! while driving or could I just plug in a car charger?

thank you again for the review and thanks in advance if you respond to my post :D

bandit
February 4th, 2008, 15:10
hello, great review but I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me.

Does the GOS receiver enhance the gameplay of MGS: PO / Homestar / Minna no Golf v2 that is reasonable for the price and shipping cost (in your opinion)

How long does the receiver last in terms of battery life? in other words, how long can I use MapThis! while driving or could I just plug in a car charger?

thank you again for the review and thanks in advance if you respond to my post :D
I dont own those games, so I cant comment on them but the fact that it works great as a GPS, its valid enough for a purchase

The receiver runs on the PSP battery, so its a matter of how long your PSP will last.

aucchen
March 29th, 2008, 02:56
hi can any one help me please. Im in the uk and have a psp-290 and can not get it to work have had mapthis working but the psp-290 does not switch on. have been though the cofig file that does nothing lol. have been try to sort it for day its just **** me off now lol.
thanks inch:)

For those in UK, you may now use Go!Explore software loaded with UK/Ireland maps. Just plug in the PSP-290, and you are ready to navigate on PSP.

qxy63
October 31st, 2008, 13:33
Hi,

I wonder if any one can advise me. I have a PSP, a 290 GPS unit and the Europe maps downloaded from Sony.

Can I get this GPS to work
1. without a UMD and
2. without hacking the PSP?

Many thanks.

bandit
November 3rd, 2008, 18:10
Hi,

I wonder if any one can advise me. I have a PSP, a 290 GPS unit and the Europe maps downloaded from Sony.

Can I get this GPS to work
1. without a UMD and
2. without hacking the PSP?

Many thanks.

1. No.
2. See #1

qxy63
November 5th, 2008, 15:00
1. No.
2. See #1

1. Thanks.
2. See #1.

Kisseefer
November 6th, 2008, 03:41
Hi guys,

just bought the GPS receiver got the PSP slim 2006, 3.71 M33-2. and downloaded the mapthis but not sure what to do the instruction not super clear.
any one can help or know a website that simplify the instruction?

thanks

Riggers
May 21st, 2009, 11:40
Hi there. Ive got the GPS hardware but i dont know where i can get the software? Can anyone help?

nickle
June 29th, 2009, 09:20
took forever to get but finally got my gps reciever from deadextreme. Very satisfied w/ the product. currently using Mapthis by Daniska buy do have the Go! Explore software and looking for a way to get the North American Map Packs. Anyone know or have and willing to share please PM me. I will compensate you fairly well.

nickle
June 29th, 2009, 09:22
Which area or region You in. If Europe you can download the official Go Explore software over at the piratebay. If you need maps for the US of A like I do your best bet is to you mapthis by daniska for now and hope the north america maps will be leaked or available for download from the US PSN.

wolfy4me
July 3rd, 2009, 13:03
I got the GPS kit but I'm rather disappointed...

I'm living in France and there is on patch on PSNstore to get the position of radars .

besides, it seems that there is no update for the maps (I' m not thinking about the patch for POI on PSNstore, I'm thinking about new roads, new highways, etc..)

raydha
December 3rd, 2009, 09:11
Hi,
Im newbie,
i own psp3006 with OFW 6.10..i live in Malaysia...
can i use this GPS receiver & install any gps software that can work with this OFW..

regards,

June 17th, 2010, 11:04
i bought the gps for psp to use with mapthis

shelly42
August 23rd, 2010, 12:26
Homestar Portable and ESPECIALLY MGS:PO, BOTH work in the US and do so with GPS support. While you would need some understanding of the Japanese language to fully appreciate Homestar, it is easy to operate even for those who cannot and of course MGS:PO is available in the States in English.