PDA

View Full Version : NeoGeo Emu and Quake Coming Soon

wraggster
May 22nd, 2005, 12:15
3 new photos were posted on PSP wiki and we arent sure if they are fake or not without a release but they seem to be of a NeoGeo emulator for PSP and Quake, heres the pics:

Thanks to PSP Wiki for the photos

Lets hope they are indeed real:

aseddon130
May 22nd, 2005, 14:03
i hope to god these are real, imagine ... wireless multiplayer on Quake ... even better, wireless 2player on NeoGeo ... the possibilities

i hope they do a mega drive emulator, that would be the shiznit!

SmashinGit
May 22nd, 2005, 14:09
OMG! Metal Slug on psp, that would be so good!!

nexis2600
May 22nd, 2005, 14:47
Sweeet,

I was tempted to do one of the two. I hope quake turns out great and then someone ports quake 2.

Cap'n 1time
May 22nd, 2005, 15:05
the first thing I saw when i looked at the first image of the neogeo emulator was the text "Detecting CD-ROM drives... *blah blah blah*" could this mean that this is a Neogeo CD emulator?

Cap'n 1time
May 22nd, 2005, 18:05
Quake is fake. No 3d for psp dev yet.

Drift
May 22nd, 2005, 18:23
Surely 3D coding's no different to any other kind though, seeing as it's all just C code. That's why we've ended up with so many emu ports already.

Cap'n 1time
May 22nd, 2005, 18:40
Surely 3D coding's no different to any other kind though, seeing as it's all just C code. That's why we've ended up with so many emu ports already.

yes, but none of them take advantage of the 3d hardware because no one knows how yet.

nexis2600
May 22nd, 2005, 19:02
Quake is fake. No 3d for psp dev yet.

*insert evil grin*
Quake 1 came out when? ah yes before everybody had 3d accellerated gfx cards. Quake 1 was software rendered. I mean hell the game is on Pocket PC wich still have no form of 3d hardware rendering.

Cap'n 1time
May 22nd, 2005, 19:07
*insert evil grin*
Quake 1 came out when? ah yes before everybody had 3d accellerated gfx cards. Quake 1 was software rendered. I mean hell the game is on Pocket PC wich still have no form of 3d hardware rendering.

.... DAMN. I hate it when im wrong.

quzar
May 22nd, 2005, 20:06
the first thing I saw when i looked at the first image of the neogeo emulator was the text "Detecting CD-ROM drives... *blah blah blah*" could this mean that this is a Neogeo CD emulator?

it would be illegal for it to run on a psp.

Cap'n 1time
May 22nd, 2005, 20:19
it would be illegal for it to run on a psp.

thats true. I decided that if this is real it couldnt be anyway though. It would rely on some sort of cdrom mounting program, and that would take alot of juice. Even if someone made that their would not nearly be enough cpu power left to emulate it.

nexis2600
May 22nd, 2005, 21:43
man I hope the Quake port comes out soon. I actualy badly want to play quake again. :D

lantus
May 23rd, 2005, 01:21
i doubt quake is fake..it looks legit to me..that source is very portable

quzar
May 23rd, 2005, 01:40
thats true. I decided that if this is real it couldnt be anyway though. It would rely on some sort of cdrom mounting program, and that would take alot of juice. Even if someone made that their would not nearly be enough cpu power left to emulate it.

actually it wouldnt take a cdrom mounting program, because NGCDs just have plainfiles on them. Thats how those early MS1 and 2 hacks of NeoCD work.

Clare
May 23rd, 2005, 08:04
Are we to assume that anything that gets developed will fail to work when we upgrade our firmware?

quzar
May 23rd, 2005, 09:11
if you have read ANYTHING that has happened since the release of 1.5, you would know that so far only the 1.0 version firmware has been cracked, 1.5 and 1.51 have not been. Anything that has currently been made does not work on anything but 1.0. It is most likely though that 1.5 and 1.51 (or any future versions) will also be cracked, and support for them will be added to homebrew.

Cap'n 1time
May 23rd, 2005, 14:35
actually it wouldnt take a cdrom mounting program, because NGCDs just have plainfiles on them. Thats how those early MS1 and 2 hacks of NeoCD work.

my word is infallible... or however you spell that.

so im wrong again. great, now im 2 times as dumb as i was before i started posting in this thread!

monkeys
May 24th, 2005, 03:31
zoom10X photoshop
it's fake

Cap'n 1time
May 24th, 2005, 03:41
zoom10X photoshop
it's fake

care to explain, what the hell you mean?!

monkeys
May 24th, 2005, 03:50
my English is poor.
sorry!!

Cap'n 1time
May 24th, 2005, 14:57
my English is poor.
sorry!!

no, you said it correctly, I fail to see why 10x zoom in photoshop will prove its a fake or not.

shizzle
May 25th, 2005, 17:47
If you look over at psp hacker there are several pictures of a neogeo running on the pspe. They could be fake but there are lots of the one game and are only on the pspe. I think theyre real...

nexis2600
May 25th, 2005, 22:56
Hehehe, I think I understand what the Neo Geo Emulator is.

I think it's an atempt to port a version of "NeoCD/SDL". Thus why the option menus (hehe something neo cd & AES versions had) and why the info about a CD drive.

Truthfuly thinking about it. I think porting should be do able. The original emulator (if im looking at one of the ports correctly) required someone to have a cd with the game in the drive. if so its easy to just have it read the files off the memory stick. Hell it actualy makes neo geo emulation more posible since insted of storing the rom files in memory (which are huge), you can load up the data files off the memory stick when needed. Thus you really only need space for all the ram emulation which is well with in the psp limits.

So, If this is a fake, Ba humbug. If it's real. It's a port of a neogeo cd emulator.

Something extra to note. Anybody know CVS? If so anybody mind helping me download the src to the ps2 port? I am currious to try tampering with it now and see if i can't do a quick dirty port!! :D http://neocd.ps2-scene.org/

Small note. HEY!!! Finaly something I have becomes useful. I accidently purchased the neo geo cd version of Samurai spirits long ago. Now I actualy have a use for it. :D

quzar
May 25th, 2005, 23:07
Hehehe, I think I understand what the Neo Geo Emulator is.

I think it's an atempt to port a version of "NeoCD/SDL". Thus why the option menus (hehe something neo cd & AES versions had) and why the info about a CD drive.

Truthfuly thinking about it. I think porting should be do able. The original emulator (if im looking at one of the ports correctly) required someone to have a cd with the game in the drive. if so its easy to just have it read the files off the memory stick. Hell it actualy makes neo geo emulation more posible since insted of storing the rom files in memory (which are huge), you can load up the data files off the memory stick when needed. Thus you really only need space for all the ram emulation which is well with in the psp limits.

So, If this is a fake, Ba humbug. If it's real. It's a port of a neogeo cd emulator.

Something extra to note. Anybody know CVS? If so anybody mind helping me download the src to the ps2 port? I am currious to try tampering with it now and see if i can't do a quick dirty port!! :D http://neocd.ps2-scene.org/

Small note. HEY!!! Finaly something I have becomes useful. I accidently purchased the neo geo cd version of Samurai spirits long ago. Now I actualy have a use for it. :D

like i said before, it would be illegal to release a port of it to the PSP because the original license says you cant have it run from the same media (which is why the PC version, and every other version, do not have iso/ mp3/wav reading ability or plainfiles reading ability from anything other than a CD).

if you were to port it, you would be in violation of the emulator's license.

nexis2600
May 25th, 2005, 23:14
like i said before, it would be illegal to release a port of it to the PSP because the original license says you cant have it run from the same media (which is why the PC version, and every other version, do not have iso/ mp3/wav reading ability or plainfiles reading ability from anything other than a CD).

if you were to port it, you would be in violation of the emulator's license.

Damn, You just had to destroy my day. I finaly figure out whats up and you break it. Might be why the emu is not released. :(

nexis2600
May 25th, 2005, 23:48
Actualy I am checking the readme. I am very unsure about your idea.

"NEOCD IS FREE, SOURCE CODE IS FREE. SELLING IS NOT ALLOWED.
YOU CANNOT PROVIDE NEOCD AND NEOGEO GAME SOFTWARE ON THE SAME PHYSICAL MEDIUM."

That to me feels like he means you can't give someone neoCD emu and neo cd games on the same medium (like CD, DVDs). In other words saying you cant distribute with roms. Like all emulator authors note.

quzar
May 26th, 2005, 00:06
No, we went over the same discussion when the original DC version was ported. Provide can be taken in that sense, but it was at some point determined that it was meant to also exclude providing for something to happen. Basically the idea is the same: it doesnt have ISO reading because that would mean it would not be able to play real games. Same for psp, where it could almost only be used for illegal purposes (as opposed to people using their original NeoCD games on it).

Even though the occasional person may have a real CD and rip it, then play the files on his PSP, it probably wont ever happen.

ALSO: the way you read it makes no sense. Think about it, why would an emulator author say that his license excludes warez, when that is illegal anyways? It's like a gun manufacturer saying specifically, do not shoot people with our gun, when murder is already illegal. (bad analogy maybe, but I think you understand)

nexis2600
May 26th, 2005, 01:06
No, we went over the same discussion when the original DC version was ported. Provide can be taken in that sense, but it was at some point determined that it was meant to also exclude providing for something to happen. Basically the idea is the same: it doesnt have ISO reading because that would mean it would not be able to play real games. Same for psp, where it could almost only be used for illegal purposes (as opposed to people using their original NeoCD games on it).

Even though the occasional person may have a real CD and rip it, then play the files on his PSP, it probably wont ever happen.

ALSO: the way you read it makes no sense. Think about it, why would an emulator author say that his license excludes warez, when that is illegal anyways? It's like a gun manufacturer saying specifically, do not shoot people with our gun, when murder is already illegal. (bad analogy maybe, but I think you understand)

Yet the emulator requires a bios file insted of him emulating the bios and also on top of it tells you which versions are valid or not.

So all of it over all makes little sense. To me, it just feels he does not want someone giving out a cd burn of a ng cd & also including the emulator on the cd. If he clearly only wanted the emulator to suport original CDS he would make a much more clearer note on it.

To me the lack of an iso mode does not prove too much. This emulator does not look to be a complete work and just something he did for himself only (something mention in the readme).

On top of that, the emulator borows a lot of code (mostly the cpu cores) from other emulators.

The reason I am going over this a lot is because after realising it today. The only true way a good neo geo emulator is going to be posible on the psp is using a neo geo CD emulator.

quzar
May 26th, 2005, 01:21
Yet the emulator requires a bios file insted of him emulating the bios and also on top of it tells you which versions are valid or not.

So all of it over all makes little sense. To me, it just feels he does not want someone giving out a cd burn of a ng cd & also including the emulator on the cd. If he clearly only wanted the emulator to suport original CDS he would make a much more clearer note on it.

To me the lack of an iso mode does not prove too much. This emulator does not look to be a complete work and just something he did for himself only (something mention in the readme).

On top of that, the emulator borows a lot of code (mostly the cpu cores) from other emulators.

The reason I am going over this a lot is because after realising it today. The only true way a good neo geo emulator is going to be posible on the psp is using a neo geo CD emulator.

1) that is just becasue with wrong bios you could potentially crash your computer. the only check it performs is looking for a single byte and seeing if it is what it should be (or a double word or something)

2) No point in saying so, since backups and real CDs are no different (there is some sort of specialness to the real CDs, but it is not known), so its kind of pointless to say 'it doesnt work with backups' when it clearly does. Why would he have to re-iterate the fact to not use illegal material with it?

3)Unlike some other systems, the neogeo cd simply reads files off the disc in iso9660 (or whatnot) mode, so iso support would be simple as hell, especially for an accomplished programmer (if you look at the ORIGINAL version, a good deal is written in assembly).

4) Well, that is just common sense. If there is already a time tested, bug free cpu emulator for a chip, why write a new one? Nearly Every emulator out there running m68000 chips in them use musashi.

5)Little punk, whining about having 32mb of ram? =P lol that will get you over 100 MVS games! It will pretty much let you play almost every game that is already on the NeoCD then more. The NeoCD and MVS are identical in processing power and such, so if that is not an issue, then you should be fine with ram.

WHurricane16
May 26th, 2005, 01:34

It makes perfect sense, and authors say this all the time to cover their ass. It reads to me that you can't distribute roms with the emu (or in this case, the bios file too).

I really don't give a flip about this emu anyway, and discussion of the morality of it makes me laugh. No one seemingly owned a Neo Geo CD system before but everyone seemingly wants it and have CD games for it now. I laugh everytime I read these threads, actually.

monkeys
May 26th, 2005, 01:43
http://www.psphacker.com/00005.png http://www.psphacker.com/00004.png http://www.psphacker.com/00006.png http://www.psphacker.com/00007.png http://www.psphacker.com/00008.png

u look this photos,I think is fake!

nexis2600
May 26th, 2005, 02:03
1) that is just becasue with wrong bios you could potentially crash your computer. the only check it performs is looking for a single byte and seeing if it is what it should be (or a double word or something)

not anything to comment about

2) No point in saying so, since backups and real CDs are no different (there is some sort of specialness to the real CDs, but it is not known), so its kind of pointless to say 'it doesnt work with backups' when it clearly does. Why would he have to re-iterate the fact to not use illegal material with it?

If the emulator can fully play a burn of a neo geo CD game. Why does it matter then? If someone wants to be illegal about it, he still very well has means to do so.

3)Unlike some other systems, the neogeo cd simply reads files off the disc in iso9660 (or whatnot) mode, so iso support would be simple as hell, especially for an accomplished programmer (if you look at the ORIGINAL version, a good deal is written in assembly).

Yeah but the emulator also doesn't have many things most other emulators do (no gui, very few options, custom key mapping). Things most coders can add. It to me feels like a very personal for him self project. In witch something like lack of using an iso off the hd would not matter to him.

4) Well, that is just common sense. If there is already a time tested, bug free cpu emulator for a chip, why write a new one? Nearly Every emulator out there running m68000 chips in them use musashi.

Yeah, I just more ment to point it out that it seems odd that someone who releases the source code & barrows from many other things out there would be so picky as to state rules over porting his code.

5)Little punk, whining about having 32mb of ram? =P lol that will get you over 100 MVS games! It will pretty much let you play almost every game that is already on the NeoCD then more. The NeoCD and MVS are identical in processing power and such, so if that is not an issue, then you should be fine with ram.

I'm not being a little punk. I personaly would prefer Neo CD Emulation over Neo Geo because the software would be limited to old classic neo geo games.

PSP hobyist development does not have a memory allocation system yet. So most emulators have tons of static memory blocks all though out the code for needed buffer. So that 32MB gets cut back (not to mention it is unknown how much is used up by the OS, Executable & other stuff). On top of that I don't know of many emulators that dont allocate a buffer for the rom and store it in it. On top of things, if the rom are zipped, that makes for a huge mess over zlib buffers for decompression before use (and like i mention with out memory allocation management it hurts).

MVS, AES & Neo CD are almost 100% identical. Yes this I do fully know (hell most AES & MVS games are the exact same since the bios just states if its in the MVS or AES and the game acts apropretly).

I do thank you for going back and forth over this with me. I want to see what options are there. I'm not trying to be a lame rom kiddie. :)

quzar
May 26th, 2005, 02:52
I was just kidding with the little punk thing, mostly because at the moment I am working on MVS emulation on the dreamcast which only has 16mb of ram, and know what a bitch it can be to make sure to only use exactly what you need at each point (especially since I am trying to make it both CD and MVS =P).

about the 'if they want to be illegal, they can anyways argument', well one thing, is having it play backups because there is no way to prevent it, and another thing is having it play backups, yet you have to go out of your way to play legit games.

also, as for gui etc, the emulator was written for DOS, which doesnt mean it cant have a gui or mapped keys etc, but somewhat explains to a point why it doesnt. If you didnt know, NeoCD/SDL is a port of NeoCD for dos, but with all the video display, audio output and controller code re-written. It even had assembly left in it till a bunch of the coders in the DC scene helped to re-write those parts in C. Those changes got re-integrated into the PC version and blah blah blah.

anyways, the only way to know in the end is to ask the author. If not then its really a coin flip, but the fact that you CANT just play your real games (even though you CAN rip your games and play them, its very different from popping in a real CD). Anyways. i dunno. i'm out of stuff to say without more stuff to say it about and couldnt think of a good ending to what i wrote so this will have to do.

Cap'n 1time
May 26th, 2005, 03:22
I was just kidding with the little punk thing, mostly because at the moment I am working on MVS emulation on the dreamcast which only has 16mb of ram, and know what a bitch it can be to make sure to only use exactly what you need at each point (especially since I am trying to make it both CD and MVS =P).

i thought at one time you decided it was impossible and gave up- which really depressed me. guess il have to dust off my DC again after.... 4 weeks XD.

note the dude that said no one had a neogeoCD... your right, but i would kill for one to this day. I did indeed buy Samuri Showdown and a few KOF games on ebay so i could play them with quzar's emulator.

note to nexus. quzar (as you can tell) is very much against illegal distribution of software or "warez" (damn that 'z' to hell), so if he seems harsh, well he is, but he isnt a jerk. I just dont want to see some kind of fight build up between two people I really respect - that being you nexis and quzar. I sence a bit of hostility between you, or perhapes it was the dinner I ate. Anyways keep it clean and educational, thanks.

nexis2600
May 26th, 2005, 05:02

Killer, let me know if it works out well. Maybe we can work together to get it over to the psp. :D unless its in asm. :(

about the 'if they want to be illegal, they can anyways argument', well one thing, is having it play backups because there is no way to prevent it, and another thing is having it play backups, yet you have to go out of your way to play legit games.

thinking about it. If I were to port, I would not suport iso. I would have them copy the files all to a folder (or compress into 1 zip) and convert all the CDA to MP3. So either person is going to have a tough time converting all their files over. That or even make a simple tool that installs some form of encryption key and converts everything over to a custom pak archiver so you have to make it from cds and not just iso (but thanks to the wonders of iso tools, it wont stop anything). It would be great if there was a way to verify if a cd is original or not. :(

also, as for gui etc, the emulator was written for DOS, which doesnt mean it cant have a gui or mapped keys etc, but somewhat explains to a point why it doesnt. If you didnt know, NeoCD/SDL is a port of NeoCD for dos, but with all the video display, audio output and controller code re-written. It even had assembly left in it till a bunch of the coders in the DC scene helped to re-write those parts in C. Those changes got re-integrated into the PC version and blah blah blah.

K, useful info to know.

anyways, the only way to know in the end is to ask the author. If not then its really a coin flip, but the fact that you CANT just play your real games (even though you CAN rip your games and play them, its very different from popping in a real CD). Anyways. i dunno. i'm out of stuff to say without more stuff to say it about and couldnt think of a good ending to what i wrote so this will have to do.

Yep and I was thinking of doing just that. Port things first and after I have something ask if he is ok with me releasing it. If not then hey I got a ng cd emu all to my self. If he agrees then i can share with others.

nexis2600
May 26th, 2005, 05:08
note the dude that said no one had a neogeoCD... your right, but i would kill for one to this day. I did indeed buy Samuri Showdown and a few KOF games on ebay so i could play them with quzar's emulator.

Suprising enough. I actualy own a legal copy of Samurai Spirits for Neo Geo. I can't remember if I bought it on accident meaning for a saturn version or if I bought it wanting to buy into a neo geo CD system but never got the system. So the disc sits in my desk at work. I did test it out today on neo CD and still works like a charm but the computer kicked my ass on the first battle. :(

note to nexus. quzar (as you can tell) is very much against illegal distribution of software or "warez" (damn that 'z' to hell), so if he seems harsh, well he is, but he isnt a jerk. I just dont want to see some kind of fight build up between two people I really respect - that being you nexis and quzar. I sence a bit of hostility between you, or perhapes it was the dinner I ate. Anyways keep it clean and educational, thanks.

I am all for being against warez as well. I work full time as a software developer to a 3rd party video game development studio. I've done 1 DS game and about a handful of GBA titles. So i have experienced the joy of seeing my work up on newsgroups a week after it shipped. :(

I understand how you might see hostility in my posting. Sometimes my typing comes off that way. I can assure you there is no hostility in me though. I am glad quzar is taking the time out to discuss things with me in this topic. Hell I wish forum was filled with people like him insted of loosers getting pist off they cant play the snes emu on their USA PSP.

This topic has become extreamly educational over the last 12 hours. :D :cool:

WHurricane16
May 26th, 2005, 05:16
note to nexus. quzar (as you can tell) is very much against illegal distribution of software or "warez" (damn that 'z' to hell), so if he seems harsh, well he is, but he isnt a jerk.

I have a bone to pick about that part. He is a jerk. Emulator authors (and porters) are contributing to warez just by providing people with the outlet to do it. Like I mentioned earlier, no one gave a damn nor had the money when the Neo Geo CD was around back in the 90s but all of a suddenly everyone and their mother have Neo Geo CDs to play for an emulator. Sure, SNK sure did press alot of CDs. Uh, no.

To consider it any other way is one big joke. Ever since the entire Icarus fiasco (lamers wanting, and wanting, and wanting, and wanting) I've noticed there is a level hipocrisy I just won't go back to anymore. The whole "holier than thou, I'm so against warez" routine is simply old. Am I saying I condone warez? Nope, but I laguh when I read all the hipocrisy on these emulation message boards.

Just my 2 cents off a tangent that came out of left field. For the one or two of you who actually own a Neo Geo CD (I'm sure you are out there) don't take offense.

quzar
May 26th, 2005, 05:28
I have a bone to pick about that part. He is a jerk. Emulator authors (and porters) are contributing to warez just by providing people with the outlet to do it. Like I mentioned earlier, no one gave a damn nor had the money when the Neo Geo CD was around back in the 90s but all of a suddenly everyone and their mother have Neo Geo CDs to play for an emulator. Sure, SNK sure did press alot of CDs. Uh, no.

To consider it any other way is one big joke. Ever since the entire Icarus fiasco (lamers wanting, and wanting, and wanting, and wanting) I've noticed there is a level hipocrisy I just won't go back to anymore. The whole "holier than thou, I'm so against warez" routine is simply old. Am I saying I condone warez? Nope, but I laguh when I read all the hipocrisy on these emulation message boards.

Just my 2 cents off a tangent that came out of left field. For the one or two of you who actually own a Neo Geo CD (I'm sure you are out there) don't take offense.

The only thing I am specifically against is for illegal discussion or illegal distribution being tied to me. When I work at coding stuff, I hope to one day be able to show whatever it is as examples of my abilities, and having it legal keeps it that way. I am completely against damaging warez, but my personal views are not up for discussion here. I don't see it as hipocritical when I simply don't want warez to be discussed and/or distributed here. Also, this entire discussion was pertaining to how he should not violate the author's user license.

I agree with what you say will, but its a necessary annoyance that has to be put up with in order to keep blatant illegal discussion and file swapping to permeate what IS in essence a legal endevor. I work on emulators for the programming experience and to learn about them, not so that the warez kiddies can come out and steal from companies that are trying to pay their employees for their hard work.

WHurricane16
May 26th, 2005, 07:19
Trust me, I understand what you are saying and whole heartedly trust your intentions because many hobbyist programmers trying to get a foot in the real world feel the same way but I don't trust the intentions of Joe Blow when he downloads your "intentions". I should have said it better, shouldn't really called emu authors hypocrites but I trust Joe Blow no more when it comes to emulators.

To get back on topic, most of the PSP emulators you will see soon will be very, very fake. Ever notice how noone faces NES, commodore, or Spectrum emulators? Wow, a nice running Neo Geo CD or PSX emu when their is only a hendered SMS emulator out there? These fakers are lame.

Cap'n 1time
May 26th, 2005, 15:11
Trust me, I understand what you are saying and whole heartedly trust your intentions because many hobbyist programmers trying to get a foot in the real world feel the same way but I don't trust the intentions of Joe Blow when he downloads your "intentions". I should have said it better, shouldn't really called emu authors hypocrites but I trust Joe Blow no more when it comes to emulators.

To get back on topic, most of the PSP emulators you will see soon will be very, very fake. Ever notice how noone faces NES, commodore, or Spectrum emulators? Wow, a nice running Neo Geo CD or PSX emu when their is only a hendered SMS emulator out there? These fakers are lame.

I agree with that completely. Why anyone would spend so much time making fake pictures and movies is beyond me.

This, however, is believed by many coders to be plausable. But i think right now its best just not to get your hopes up till you see a real release and not some lame ass movie or pics that could be made in photoshop.

nexis2600
May 31st, 2005, 16:11
Wow I was right. It is a Neo Geo CD emulator. Looks like he ported a pc version because he notes it works on the emulator but not on the psp (more then likly unaligned memory addresses).

http://psp-dev.org/pukiwiki/index.php?NEOGEO%20CD

Cap'n 1time
May 31st, 2005, 16:36
interesting, but about this unaligned memory addressing... does that mean that the PSPE allows for more juice then the real hardware has to offer, thus making the PSP not powerfull enough to work with either of the aps in their current form?

or does it just mean that he based all his work on an emulator that wasnt totally accurate?

Spark
May 31st, 2005, 17:10
Quake's not allowed to come out before I am blessed with the ability to run it. ;)

quzar
May 31st, 2005, 21:29
interesting, but about this unaligned memory addressing... does that mean that the PSPE allows for more juice then the real hardware has to offer, thus making the PSP not powerfull enough to work with either of the aps in their current form?

or does it just mean that he based all his work on an emulator that wasnt totally accurate?

the second thing. modern PCs align memory automatically. If you remember the first shots of GPF's neopop port to the DC running on chankast, but not on real hardware it was because of unaligned memory access. It just isnt worth it to emulate because it would take extra time to do so.

nexis2600
May 31st, 2005, 21:59
the second thing. modern PCs align memory automatically. If you remember the first shots of GPF's neopop port to the DC running on chankast, but not on real hardware it was because of unaligned memory access. It just isnt worth it to emulate because it would take extra time to do so.

Hehe neopop's memory allignment was easy. Just had to modify the read16/32 & write16/32 to multiple bytes. :D I will admit it did confuse me the first time i tried porting neopop because i did not know RISC did not handle unalligned memory.

quzar
May 31st, 2005, 22:35
Hehe neopop's memory allignment was easy. Just had to modify the read16/32 & write16/32 to multiple bytes. :D I will admit it did confuse me the first time i tried porting neopop because i did not know RISC did not handle unalligned memory.

yea, i failed at porting it to the DC because memory alignment was something that was fixed in their newest release (.72? or something like that?) prior to that it was even worse.

Cap'n 1time
June 1st, 2005, 01:35
well anyways, apparently it was fixed because the neogeo cd emulator for psp was released.

off topic: other than RIN, do any emulators created or ported by Japanese Developers to the psp ever give their projects a name?