PDA

View Full Version : Firmware?

RedKing14CA
May 6th, 2007, 06:56
I still have 1.5 and i have a 3.01 emulator...

what is this new 3.4 custom firmware?

what is the latest firmware?

I'm just wondering i jsut bought the Metal Slug anthology and it runs slow on the menu's because of the firmware emulation...

if i upgrade to the custom 3.4 would i be able to downgrade back to 1.5 if i wanted?

thx, much love :thumbup:

eatnooM
May 6th, 2007, 12:06
If you choose to update to a custom firmware, you're free to go back to 1.5 via the recovery menu. :)

Oh, 3.40 OE-A and 3.30 OE-A' are the newest firmwares (3.30 uses an older version of POPS (PSX emu) which uses the same save format as all prior CFW) and, well, with custom firmware, you have the features Sony added in the official firmware, the homebrew they blocked and the ability to run backups. *cough*

Triv1um
May 6th, 2007, 12:09
Yes, using this recovery pack http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49967

Also, eatnooM, that sig is awesome.. lmao!

parkermauney
May 6th, 2007, 15:14
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60514

There we are.

RedKing14CA
May 6th, 2007, 18:06
So... i update to 3.3 OE and then 3.4 OE???

So i update from 1.5 to 3.33 and then to 3.4?

Or can i go straight from 1.5 to 3.4 oe?

THX!!!!!

Triv1um
May 6th, 2007, 18:13
You can update from 3.30OE to 3.40OE

or you can go

3.30OE to 1.50 to 3.40OE

Your choice.

RedKing14CA
May 6th, 2007, 18:24
So.... i can... just go from 1.5 to 3.40 oe?

lol

just don't want to BRICK!!!!

also, how does this PS1 emulation thing work? DO i backup my PS1 game ISO's and then put them on the PSP or what?

Is their an instruction manual!??!?!?

I own Driver, snf Metal Gear Solid and i was thinking of playing Resident Evil and finaly fantasy 7-9

i can borrow them from my friends

any help?

how does it work...? is it ILLEGAL?

Kichigai Mentat
May 6th, 2007, 18:50
So.... i can... just go from 1.5 to 3.40 oe?
Yes.

also, how does this PS1 emulation thing work? DO i backup my PS1 game ISO's and then put them on the PSP or what?
The PSP uses an emulator known as POPS. You'll have to convert your PSX ISOs into a POPS-compatible eBoot. This means you'll have to find POPStation or a clone of it. I hear AutoPOPStation is really good, but seeing as I haven't used Windows in about... six, seven years, I really can't say.

Is their an instruction manual!??!?!?
In a manner of speaking, yes. It's called a README. Most POPStation/clones should include one.

I own Driver, snf Metal Gear Solid and i was thinking of playing Resident Evil and finaly fantasy 7-9
Well, POPS isn't 100% compatible with all games. Final Fantasy VII locks up just before the transition from disc 1 to disc 2, Final Fantasy VIII locks up occasionally when Quistis uses Blue Magic, and Final Fantasy IX (the, technically speaking, oddest of the bunch) runs with absolutely no glitches at all. Same goes for Final Fantasy Tactics, but with Final Fantasy Tactics: Lion War coming out, you might want to wait for that.

i can borrow them from my friends

any help?

how does it work...? is it ILLEGAL?
Technically speaking, using POPS isn't illegal. Borrowing games from your friends for this use is, however most people really don't care. I think that the conversion from PSX disc to ISO to eBoot is legal, under fair use clauses, but illegal under the DMCA. The questionably legal part is using a custom firmware on your PSP. However, there is no recorded case of anyone being sued for this, and no recorded precedent. Also, unless a Sony lawyer walks into your house, and finds you doing mass downgrades and upgrades with custom firmware to hundreds of PSPs, and copying and distributing copies of hundreds of PSX games, it's highly unlikely that they would care much about you.

Viralmind
May 7th, 2007, 03:22
is that regular 1.5 fw to 3.40oe
or
1.5 custom fw to 3.40 oe?

Kichigai Mentat
May 7th, 2007, 05:52
Either. If it's a homebrew-enabled firmware with Kernel-mode access rights (I think all of the major firmware versions have been cracked enough) it'll work.