PDA

View Full Version : Dang! Where can I find a ready-to-boot disc juggler image for DCLinux?

RhapsodyGuru
May 8th, 2007, 01:17
Hi!

Unfortunately, I have looked EVERYWHERE for a ready-to-boot disc juggler or nero image for DCLinux. I tried the boob! website, but the downloads server has been down forever and I really want to get Linux on my dreamcast without going through a lot of fuss with "compiling" my image. Please note that I use MS Windows on the PC that I intend to burn the image on. Unfortunately, the instructions on burning the image are geared towards linux users. WHAT MADNESS! Also, why can't I find the ready-made image anywhere (including the m17n.org website which has shut down recently)? Can somebody upload the cdi to RapidShare or MegaUpload so I can nab it and be in Linux heaven on the Dreamcast? Thank you for your help!

EDIT (05/08/2007): I tried bittorrent too. No dice! I also looked m17n.org up on the Internet Archive and I thought I hit the jackpot... but the download wasn't working.

EDIT 2 (05/08/2007): The file I am looking for is dclinux.cdi and it is roughly 300 MBs or so in size. If anyone has access to the file, please upload it to RapidShare or MegaUpload and post a link to the download!

Guru

Christuserloeser
May 9th, 2007, 23:29
Well, there's a recent ISO of NetBSD:

http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-3.1/dreamcast/installation/cdrom/dreamcastcd-3.1.iso

You could try burning it with the most recent version of BootDreams:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62403

...been checking google and my backups: I have to second your request. Does someone have a Linux distribution we could host here or at DCEvolution.net ?

RhapsodyGuru
May 10th, 2007, 01:39
Wait! How do you use this tool? Is there a HOW-TO on this software?

Guru

Masta-G
May 10th, 2007, 10:20
The old linuxdc cdi image is based on the 2.4 tree which is a set of ugly hacks and really unstable.
I really encourage the developers here to help writing kernel drivers for the current development tree @ kernel.org. They merged the linux_sh add-on tree (used to be on sourceforge) with the offical git a while ago. So far the only dreamcast related code is the powervr framebuffer and the broadband adapter drivers. If you want to see a working stable linux distro for dc, we need a gdrom, maple bus, keyboard/mouse driver. Then we can compile our own distro:)

Christuserloeser
May 10th, 2007, 15:33
Wait! How do you use this tool? Is there a HOW-TO on this software?

Install, load the .iso, burn to CDR. ;)

RhapsodyGuru
May 10th, 2007, 22:26
Ok... that still doesn't answer my question. Do I need an IP.BIN file and a 1ST_READ.BIN file?

Guru

Christuserloeser
May 10th, 2007, 23:38
No, BootDreams 1.0.3 can burn the .iso which already contains the ip.bin (bootsector) and 1st_read.bin (executable).

Btw, MapleBuster (http://dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=959726) came up with this link: http://dcemulation.com/dl/dl.php3?url=files/software/linuxdcdj.zip

It's not what we are looking for, but at least it is something.

RhapsodyGuru
May 11th, 2007, 01:01
So you are saying that the NetBSD iso ALREADY has the IP.BIN and FIRST_READ.BIN files included? In that case, do I click the button on BootDreams that says "Burn CD Images"?

Dull Blade
May 11th, 2007, 06:30
yes. if you downoad a .iso or a .cdi or a .nrg (popular image extensions), all you have to do is load them with you burning program (nero or disk jugglar or boot dreams or powerISO, or Alcohol 120% and etc) and hit burn. but i'm not sure if boot dreams can do Iso s, If you cannot get it to load, download the Alcohol 120% trial (google burning cd images for more help in greater detail)

RhapsodyGuru
May 11th, 2007, 16:10
Hm, that's odd! I tried burning it the way you said and I just created three coasters! All of a sudden, I just realized something. THE ISO DOESN'T HAVE TWO TRACKS! IT ONLY HAS ONE! Well that just does it. How the heck am I supposed to integrate the boot files on the image?!?!? :confused: :confused: :confused:

This is just getting too confusing.

Guru

Christuserloeser
May 11th, 2007, 22:25
Then it's a non-selfbooting image. Copy the files from the CDRs you burned to a folder C:\BootDreams\NetBSD\ and choose the CDRecord GUI in BootDreams.

Dull Blade
May 11th, 2007, 23:24
integrate boot files? to burn an iso, you dont need to do anything, no altering, no selfbooting , no integrating. It has all already been done for you. To burn this, all you have to do is download a cd burning program (see 2 posts above) install it and open the image file.

Elven6
May 12th, 2007, 03:55
The NETBSD thing is not self booting.

RhapsodyGuru
May 12th, 2007, 05:43
Well, should I make a new IP.BIN file or is there an IP.BIN file for NetBSD I can download? I mean how am I supposed to approach this one without making another coaster?

Guru

Christuserloeser
May 12th, 2007, 09:39
If the file is missing, BootDreams will ask you if it should generate an IP.BIN for you. :)

Elven6
May 12th, 2007, 19:34
integrate boot files? to burn an iso, you dont need to do anything, no altering, no selfbooting , no integrating. It has all already been done for you. To burn this, all you have to do is download a cd burning program (see 2 posts above) install it and open the image file.

Their is no way you can get it too boot without modifying it.

RhapsodyGuru
May 14th, 2007, 03:07
Hey, I copied all of the files off the NetBSD CD to a folder and I pointed Bootdreams to the folder and instructed it to create a Disc Juggler image out of it. However, it said "please select the main binary". What is the main binary in the NetBSD 3.1 distro that I copied to my harddrive?

Guru

Christuserloeser
May 20th, 2007, 23:44
Usually it's 1st_read.bin but it could be something else too. What binaries are there ?

Elven6
May 21st, 2007, 04:20
But their is no first read bin in the files, just a folder that says Dreamcast and a bunch of read mes and stuff.

Xiaopang
May 21st, 2007, 10:05
yeah, it doesn't seem to be bootable at all. in some gzips are actually bin files, but i didn't try to boot them. go to megagames. they have a dclinux available for download. it's only 4mb in size

fackue
May 22nd, 2007, 02:41
I took a look at creating a disc of NetBSD/dreamcast before - it was difficult to understand what they were saying I needed so I didn't get very far (I'm not very savy with Linux\BSD).

Here (http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/dreamcast/) is NetBSD/dreamcast's official site - from there you are gonna want to click on the HowTo (http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/dreamcast/howto.html) link. When I find the time I will try to create a .cdi for the people that can't get it working *crosses fingers*.

fackue
May 22nd, 2007, 07:47
I looked into it some and there are a couple dead links on the how-to page so I don't think, unless those files are mirrored somewhere else, I can get a working .cdi.

I'll do some more digging.

I'll try to take a look at DC Linux too. No promises though.

Masta-G
May 31st, 2007, 08:57
There is still major work done on getting the SuperH series to work under linux. 2.6.22-rc3 is being fixed and I believe RC4 will boot on the dreamcast. However we need drivers such as gd-rom, maple bus, kayboard/mouse and vmu. Once people start contributing those, i'm happy enough to compile a whole new distro.

Dull Blade
June 1st, 2007, 22:59
I hope some one will make a .cdi image. If I had the spare time I'd try it. but as of now i've got finals comeing up. so study study study.

Edit: 300th post. one and a helf years in the making.

RhapsodyGuru
June 4th, 2007, 15:20
What a development! Hopefully NetBSD for Dreamcast can see the light of day soon enough.

Guru

RhapsodyGuru
June 11th, 2007, 01:17
YES! The answer to my prayers (I hope)! I'll let you guys know how it works! HURRAH!

UPDATE!: CLICK HERE (http://tinyurl.com/38fd74) to download the DCLinux cdi image off my server. It is much faster and the file is compressed more tightly using the 7zip format. Oh yeah, only one small caveat, you're gonna need 7zip to open the archive. Have a nice day! :thumbup:

Guru

Christuserloeser
June 13th, 2007, 17:44
NICE FIND! I guess we'll mirror the image at DCEvo soon... ;)