PDA

View Full Version : Making Emulators.

shizzle
May 23rd, 2005, 20:07
Just out of interest what do u have to know to make the emus.

What u use to make them, obviously other emus source codes and stuff but do you need to use C or C++ or java to do it or is it fairly straight foward. I suppose if it was everyone would be doing it. How long does it take you a few weeks?

quzar
May 23rd, 2005, 20:51
Porting an emulator usually only takes an hour or so. All you have to do is rewrite the system dependant functions (outputs and inputs) and possibly other stuff that the emulator uses that are not really standard functions. it all depends on the code. also, i think that only C is functional for the psp at the time.

The term for the process is porting.

shizzle
May 23rd, 2005, 21:06
Wow, i did n't know it was that fast. Judging by the speed that things are going i thought it took at least a few days of hard work to produce one. I just hope some one makes and emulator for a system that has some good games on it or a wide choice. I mean come on, Neogeo pocket, no offence nexis im sure it was hard to do and we all appreciate it but say quake as you were thinking of or maybe mame. But then as you say they are unusal , like light gun and wheel for example could take a long time to reprogramm.

Keep up the good work anyway.

quzar
May 23rd, 2005, 21:09
i have ported maybe 10 things to the DC (more if you count ones that barey worked) and it usually takes about an hour or two of working to port something. The hard part is modifying the actual program itself to gain speed or to fix bugs in the program.

shizzle
May 23rd, 2005, 22:16
i would cause i have enough time and acces to tools n stuff. I just don't know C :@ .
anyway im sure ill get by on what others do. I cba do do the noob thing and ask some one to teach me, thats just as bad as continuously nagging for more emulators to be made, yet not quite as anoying as asking if there is 1.5 homebrew ;)