PDA

View Full Version : M3 / supercard /or.....

void4ever
May 8th, 2007, 18:35
I'm sorry i know this has probably been asked over and over again. I've been reading over the last few pages of each of the DS forums but i just want to be sure.

I'm looking for a solution that will run DS/GBA/NES/SNES backups (with no slowdowns!!!!!) as well as the occasional homebrew app.

The thing i'm most worried about is slowdown and save game compatibility.

It seems to me after reading through the forums the M3 perfect maybe the best solution for my needs. Would you all agree or should i look at another solution?

Void4ever

ACID
May 8th, 2007, 19:00
If you want all the best homebrew capability the SC and M3 are the best over all one has what others dont for example SC includeds the emulators from the getgo will M3 you can use your MP3 , MP4 right of the bat. if your looking for a slot one that has the best compatibility for your games and no slow downs and an awsome OS then its the R4DS

void4ever
May 8th, 2007, 19:31
Unfortunately the R4 won't do GBA/NES/SNES but it does look great for NDS only.

Does the M3 do NES/SNES emu or do you need a homebrew to get that from it?

Void4ever

Tikker
May 8th, 2007, 19:52
you need to download the emulators but once you have them, they run very well

I've got an R4 and a M3 lite (perfect) both are fantastic, and are a spectacular combo

void4ever
May 8th, 2007, 20:10
you need to download the emulators but once you have them, they run very well

I've got an R4 and a M3 lite (perfect) both are fantastic, and are a spectacular combo

Is the NDS support on the M3's not good enough alone? Would u recommend getting both or would the M3 handle everything well enough?

Void4ever

bandit
May 8th, 2007, 23:18
M3 Simply and R4DS is the same product just different name, sticker and packaging. Both are SLOT-1 (DS)

M3 Lite is a SLOT-2 and will handle all your GBA and emulators.

For what you're asking for (DS, GBA, NES, SNES, etc.) you'll have to purchase two cards. One that is SLOT-1 that can handle DS games and one that is SLOT-2 that can handle emulators and GBA games.

DanTheManMS
May 8th, 2007, 23:44
Alternatively, if you have a DS Lite, you could get a slot-1 device like the M3 Simply or R4 and the EZ-V expansion pack that sits in slot-2 and gives you GBA support, rumble support, and Opera RAM. You can use NES DS and SNEmulDS and all that from the slot-1 card, using the expansion pack for GBA files.

void4ever
May 8th, 2007, 23:55
I'm just a little confused because according to M3's website they say there flashcards can do both NDS and GBA (plus apps which i assume would mean homebrew emus and what not).

So aside from a passcard to boot the flashcard, i don't need a slot one card like the simply/r4 to play NDS games right? Unless what your trying to say is i'm going to run into slowdown using a flashcard solution for NDS backups.

Or am i reading there website completely wrong and there flashcards (slot 2) do not support plating NDS backups?

http://www.m3adapter.com/products_2.htm
http://www.m3adapter.com/products.htm

Void4ever

DanTheManMS
May 9th, 2007, 03:18
Slot-2 M3 Perfects will run GBA binaries out of the box. If you include a NoPass device, you will be able to boot DS binaries as well. You don't need a full-fledged slot-1 card for DS binaries no, just a slot-1 passthrough device.

void4ever
May 9th, 2007, 04:19
Ok thats what i figured, which also makes for a cheaper solution. :) So my original question still stands for anyone thats used any of the M3 products however. How are the NDS speeds? Has anyone noticed any slowdown or is it pretty smooth? I know the website says it's near perfect but they are out to sell a product after all. :P

bandit
May 9th, 2007, 06:00
NDS games play perfectly. Some people have had some problems with Castlevania: PoR but it was due to the microSD cards. I havent experienced any problems and I have used 3 different microSDs.

podunk320x
May 13th, 2007, 16:51
thanks void4ever for asking questions about M3 SIMPLY, i was looking through the forum for something like this, but im still a little confused??

I want to be able to play NDS games as well as GB(original gameboy black and white games) + GBC, NES,SNES, etc.... via emulators or whatnot.

My question is, will the M3 SIMPLY allow me to do this? or do I need another card to do this?

Im getting confused because one of the poster said you need a slot2 card to do this but I thought the M3 SIMPLY allows to run NDS games AND also emulators?

am i missing something here?

DanTheManMS
May 13th, 2007, 20:12
You can run emulators, yes, but some emulators run only from a slot-2 device. For instance, with the GBC, the best emulator out there is Goomba Color for the GBA, which you won't be able to boot on a slot-1 device. However, the recently released Lameboy runs on slot-1 devices and runs many games at full speed (though without sound), so hopefully further updates of that will make GBC gaming more enjoyable.

With SNES, it used to be that SnezziDS was the best one, which only runs from slot-2 devices, but SNEmulDS has progressed to the point that it surpasses SnezziDS, and SNEmulDS runs on both slot-1 and slot-2 devices.

With NES, both of them will run NES DS fine, though with slot-1 cards you must package the NES games into the .nds file, and I don't think saving works. On supported slot-2 devices, you can load the .nes files directly off your card, and you can use saving and savestates. NES DS is supposedly currently getting DLDI support, so hopefully this will change soon.

From what I've heard, the best SMS emulators are for the GBA as well, so you wouldn't be able to use them on a slot-1 device.

void4ever
May 14th, 2007, 17:49
Alright so i think all my questions were answered. From what i get here the M3 perfect will run everything i throw at it. (or at least what i wanted to throw at it)

However i have one last question. I was poking around on M3's website and i see there "M3 Lite Perfect". According to there website it supports everything that the "M3 Perfect" does, just that it's flush with the DS gba slot.

Am i right in assuming that the "M3 Lite Perfect" is the same as the "M3 Perfect". (aside from the use of a Micro SD card).

Void4ever

DanTheManMS
May 14th, 2007, 22:57
They are basically the same product, yes. The M3 Lite Perfect will sit flush within a DS Lite, and I think they do sell adapters to make them fit in a DS Phat, but if you have a Phat to begin with, a miniSD solution that sits flush within a Phat would probably be more convenient.

enderandrew
May 21st, 2007, 01:48
Color me stupid, but I'm looking at the products page, and most of them say they support both DS and GBA. However, they don't specify which are Slot 2 and Slot 1. I only have a GBA SP right now, and while I'm planning to get a DS, my interest is getting a Slot 2 device I can use in my GBA right now, and in the DS eventually.

I don't need massive storage since right now my primary concern is GBA binaries, which aren't huge.

Are the carts are SD versions better at a low-to-moderate price range?

DanTheManMS
May 21st, 2007, 01:57
For slot-2 usage, you would want either a Supercard or M3, probably in miniSD format so that it sits flush within the slot. Note that the Supercard is much cheaper but has slower RAM, so some GBA games will slow down or simply crash when data is not supplied fast enough. The M3 is much more expensive but has faster RAM that does not have this issue.

Just make sure you don't get a Supercard Rumble or an M3 Pro, both of which are useless or nearly useless for GBA gaming.

enderandrew
May 21st, 2007, 02:05
Thanks.

http://www.gameyeeeah.com Has the M3 Lite Perfect + Passkey 3 Card together for $80. That appears to be the best deal I can find right now.