PDA

View Full Version : Can you make a new LCD/Plasma Gun Controller Dreamcast friendly?

jwilds73
January 29th, 2007, 06:24
Ok I already know that old gun controllers and new LCD and Plasma TV's aren't compatible. However I wonder how hard it would be to modify a new gun controller? I don't believe it to be a simple rewiring of the gun controller to a dreamcast plug. However I wonder how much would be involved. I was hoping that you could simply use a PS2 to DC controller adapter and plug a LCD/Plasma gun controller into it but I don't believe it would be that simple. Anyway's can anyone give me some insight and thought on this.

I seen this gun here and wondered how hard it might be to adapt

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-4m-49-en-70-16s7.html

Baboon
January 29th, 2007, 08:25
This would be fantastic if it were possible.

Such a shame they dont make it compatible already with the DC as I would have snapped it up. I really hope this will work cause I'm desperate to get the light guns working on my new tv!

jwilds73
January 29th, 2007, 14:06
I believe there is a market for a light gun that would be compatible with older systems. It would be nice to see one made that worked with many older systems and simple used a plug adapter for each system. Basically a usb end gun then a usb to system adapter. Then it could be sold as a PC and System Gun. Now to just hound a manufacturer to make one.

Elven6
January 29th, 2007, 20:13
Why not go to play Asia or where ever and buy a converter? Or do those not work?

curt_grymala
January 31st, 2007, 01:21
Does the Playstation have any LCD/Plasma-friendly light-guns? If so, has anyone tried any of those with the Total Control adaptor (the adaptor that allows you to use PS controllers on the DC).

jwilds73
January 31st, 2007, 13:51
No only the PS2/PS3 and Xbox/Xbox 360 seem to have a LCD/Plasma friendly gun. Right now I think there is nothing for the PSX.

Namco had changed from the Guncon's to the Guncon 2's and the older Guncon's aren't compatible with the new Guncon 2 games and Guncon 2's don't work with older Guncon games.

It would be really nice to see a usb end gun with simple adapters for the older systems. I don't know what systems all used Light Gun's but such a gun could cover quite a few systems. There must be a USB PC Light Gun that is LCD/Plasma compatible that someone makes or is atleast working on now? We just need someone to make the adapters if that is the case.

kohan69
February 11th, 2007, 08:34
Does the Playstation have any LCD/Plasma-friendly light-guns? If so, has anyone tried any of those with the Total Control adaptor (the adaptor that allows you to use PS controllers on the DC).

I believe there is ONE ir-lightgun that works on ps2 and ps1, but does the ps1-to-dc converter make it work? i dont know

ill update post if i find that gun model #

diceone
March 11th, 2007, 01:06
I'm all about this.
Recommend me what to buy.
I'll be a guinea pig.
I want to play House of the Dead And confidential mission with my girlfriend again.

She was really bummed when we dusted off our light guns and did not get any hot zombie killing videogame gun date action.

Khorney
April 14th, 2007, 22:21
this 1 is PS1 compatable:
http://www.consoleplus.co.uk/product_info.php?pName=sharp-shooter-2-arcade-light-gun-for-psps2&osCsid=3443be0a4258b1da2e968d4bc7934dc2
if somebody gets a PS1>DC controller converter could they try it?

NeoScriptor
May 6th, 2007, 18:23
If I'm not mistaken, Total Control Plus & 2 supports PS2 controllers, correct?

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-h5-49-en-70-en.html
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-h5-49-en-70-45.html

Regardless, I think I'm going to try this with this gun:

http://www.consoleplus.co.uk/product_info.php?pName=sharp-shooter-2-arcade-light-gun-for-psps2&osCsid=3443be0a4258b1da2e968d4bc7934dc2

It's cheaper than the alternatives, so I wont lose too much

I'll give you updates, shipping, trial and error, etc.

EDIT: After looking at my budget, I can't fit this in right now. Maybe later, mid June. If anyone is adamant about it, remind me.

GaryManchester
May 10th, 2007, 11:01
After having most of my gaming gear in storage, i finally got arround to rigging it all up to my new shiny Hd tv.

After about 3 hours of working my way though about 5 games i thought id have a go at some shooters and with no ammount of fiddling with settings i cant get the lightgun to work.

Im assuming it has somthing to do with the refesh rate etc.

Is there anyway of making it work?

Thanks
Gary

White_Hawk_UK
May 10th, 2007, 15:00
Unfortunately not, as far as I know. Lightguns made for CRT screens are not compatible with LCD or Plasma screens.

There are now some emerging lightguns (world firsts, apparently) that are universally compatible with any screen, using sensor 'rails' fitted either side of the screen or a sensor 'camera' that sits on top of it.

While these are an exciting development for fans of lightgun games, I don't know how much luck you'll have finding one that is Dreamcast-ready. The only ones I could find mentioned XBox and Playstation.

It is probably of little consolation that you are not alone; there are in fact many forum-goers out there bemoaning the lack of a flat-screen capable lightgun for the Dreamcast. Perhaps some enterprising chap (or chappette) will get around to adapting a solution for you all. Time will tell.

As it happens, you'll find there are also problems with lightguns on CRTs at high refresh rates - PC monitors or TVs running at 100MHz(+) for instance, are no better than flat screens when it comes to lightguns.

Sorry about that.

Christuserloeser
May 10th, 2007, 15:38
Merged both threads ;)

GaryManchester
May 10th, 2007, 17:18
Thanks for the info i had a google and couldnt find anything really conclusive, my own faut for upgrading my tv i supose why didnt i keep the 28" crt lol

Now ive gotta get myself back upto speed on the dreamcast scene, thats gonna take some time

Thanks all.

White_Hawk_UK
May 11th, 2007, 11:59
I have found a PS2-to-Dreamcast controller adapter (no information specifically regarding lightguns), and PS2-compatible 'universal' lightgun (DLP, LCD, Plasma, CRT, etc). Possibilities only, but there may be hope - I'm awaiting a couple of responses to queries.

Unfortunately, there may be some confusion over compatibility of products; for instance, that a lightgun compatible with HDTVs and 100MHz screens will be suitable for LCDs. This is most likely not the case unless stated specifically in the product specifications, as the LCD-incompatibility is nothing to do with scan/refresh rates or resolutions.

Two lightguns which are definitely suited to LCD use, and are compatible with PS2 (for those who feel like testing a controller adapter) are:

RGT LCD Lightgun (http://www.erealgames.com/) - uses 'RGT Cam' sensor.
TopGun (http://hardware.teamxbox.com/xbox/49/LCD-TopGun-Light-Gun/) - uses sensor 'rails' fitted either side of the screen/projection-area.

BlueCrab
May 11th, 2007, 16:54
I somewhat doubt that most of the PS->DC converter boxes are going to work, if any of them do, for light guns.

If I recall correctly, Light guns on the DC used a different way of handling the maple bus, so the box would have to not only know that it has a light gun attached to it; it would have to know how to use that special maple bus mode.

PSP05
March 8th, 2009, 20:22
Are all CRT TVs compatible? I don't know if it's the gun or my TV, but the aim is very off. Even after I calibrate it.