PDA

View Full Version : Self Boot burning problems

ilyag55
May 14th, 2007, 00:05
Hi all,

I just picked up my first DC today and have been trying ever since to write a self-boot .cdi file to play on it. Specifically, I'm looking at some homebrew compilations but it seems that the burning process itself isn't working out very well.

Here's my setup and the issues -

- BootDreams v. 1.0.3
- Maxell 700 MB CD-R
- U-1 version DreamCast

I have noticed that all of the files that I've extracted and attempted to burn have only had the .cdi file, no other instructions or a .bin attached.

Generally, BootDreams asks me to create a first bin for the file.

Anyways, I'm burning on 8x speed from the .cdi file which is unzipped in its own directory on my desktop. The CD bay opens about one quarter way into the burning process itself sometimes in order to clear something or other and then closes automatically and eventually finishes burning.

However, when I put the disc into the DreamCast itself, I'm usually just stuck with a frozen SEGA logo screen. Occasionally, it'll restart itself and simply freeze at the same screen again.

I've also tried the Rage of Streets compilation with similar issues. Version 1.0.3.a of BootDreams gives me a windows error during the burning process if that helps any.

... On a side note - the DreamCast is making a very high-pitch sound whenever it runs, regardless of whether it's reading a disc or not. Is this regular? Is this maybe an issue with the console itself?

Thanks in advance!

ilyag55
May 14th, 2007, 00:09
Forgot to add, the CDRecord option is set to Audio/Data, if that matters?