PDA

View Full Version : R4 question, please read and assist.

Budokiba11
May 15th, 2007, 03:21
ok i want to buy one right, well im torn because i dont know, for one on sky2k.com there is an R4 here it just says R4 microsd english, and basicly it seems to come with the basic things, no one vulcanzone.com they have a few but my biggest question is there is what is called "R4RDS + MicroSD 1GB Kingston" and there is the "R4RDS + MicroSD 1GB Kingston. + Installation" when i look at the details on thhe installation one it says "Includes R4 software installation, ready to use out of the box." as one of the details, this one is also $10 more if anyone knows what it means does it seem worth it for $10 or could i do this on my own in a few min for free?

DanTheManMS
May 15th, 2007, 03:45
That doesn't sound right. Aside from the microSD card and card reader, the only thing you should have to do to set it up is download the latest firmware from the website and copy it over to your card. Charging $10 for someone to do a copy and paste function is ridiculous.

You should be fine with the version that's $10 cheaper.

bandit
May 15th, 2007, 04:09
ok i want to buy one right, well im torn because i dont know, for one on sky2k.com there is an R4 here it just says R4 microsd english, and basicly it seems to come with the basic things, no one vulcanzone.com they have a few but my biggest question is there is what is called "R4RDS + MicroSD 1GB Kingston" and there is the "R4RDS + MicroSD 1GB Kingston. + Installation" when i look at the details on thhe installation one it says "Includes R4 software installation, ready to use out of the box." as one of the details, this one is also $10 more if anyone knows what it means does it seem worth it for $10 or could i do this on my own in a few min for free?

the R4 + microsd is just what you get. R4 and the microsd.

The R4 + microsd + installation is the same above, but you're paying an extra $10 for them to load all the necessary files for you onto the microsd. Definitely NOT worth it. It takes you less than a min to do all this. Download the R4 files ahead of time, once you get the R4 and microsd, extract the R4 file to the microsd and you're done.

Might as well give me the $10 since I just told you want to do.

Xerion12
May 16th, 2007, 01:29
To the original poster, definitely get the "R4DS English" I ordered mine from sky2k and it just arrived now, took 6 days(standard shipping)

Now, I have a question that hopefully the previous poster may be able to answer, I am unsure which files to copy over to my microSD in order for the R4 to fully work properly. I have copied over the files that were said in the manual(i found these files on the disk mine came with) and it loads up, plays music/games/ etc. but I have noticed when I start moonshell there is a quick error screen(it disappears too quickly to read) but it does not alter the experience in any way. When I hold start during moonshell(not sure what this button is supposed to do) it goes to a black screen with white text.

DanTheManMS
May 16th, 2007, 03:18
Don't worry about that error message. It appears on many devices and like you said, it doesn't hurt anything. It appears on my Supercard miniSD each time I boot it up, and I can still use all of Moonshell's features fine.

Holding Start in Moonshell usually gives you debug info if there is any. For instance, if you try to open an image and it simply refuses to open, you can press Start and find out why, and for this example, the solution in most cases is that Moonshell doesn't support progressive JPEGs.

Xerion12
May 16th, 2007, 05:18
Thanks for the info! Glad it's not just me, and that this is a common, harmless error.