PDA

View Full Version : Flickering screen makes CD-R unplayable

oibara
May 27th, 2005, 21:52
Real tragic problem i'm having here. :(

Basically, whenever i rip something, in this case NesterDC, it WORKS, and boots on the dreamcast, but the screen flickers constantly so that i see everything about 3 times over. It's like it's refreshing in 3 places at once.

I'm not sure if this has happened before, but i've found nothing on it online.

PS -- This is about burning, not NesterDC. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. I've tried burning in Alcohol 120% on RAW DAO and CDJuggler on Standard and Mode1 and got the same problem. :(

Eric
May 27th, 2005, 23:23
Try doing it mode2 it needs audio/data. Burn at 2x,4x, or 8x anything over that you will have problems and this is known so dont try going over. Also stop by a known help site www.Dcevolution.net/dchelp/. There you they will give alot of info on easy to use equipment that will get you using your Dreamcast working with homebrew software.

Eric

oibara
May 28th, 2005, 11:52
A thousand thanks. :)

edit : Still no joy, it seems. This may be better asked at DCEvolution, but do you think the fact that i have a PAL dreamcast changes this?

DCDayDreamer
May 28th, 2005, 12:43
Real tragic problem i'm having here. :(

Basically, whenever i rip something, in this case NesterDC, it WORKS, and boots on the dreamcast, but the screen flickers constantly so that i see everything about 3 times over. It's like it's refreshing in 3 places at once.

I'm not sure if this has happened before, but i've found nothing on it online.

PS -- This is about burning, not NesterDC. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. I've tried burning in Alcohol 120% on RAW DAO and CDJuggler on Standard and Mode1 and got the same problem. :(

Does any homebrew work ok for you (no flickering screen)?

It sounds as if your TV might not be compatible to the output signal, NesterDC is 60Hz, is it a PAL DC you've got?

ptr.exe
May 28th, 2005, 12:58
Yeah sounds more like your TV cant do 60Hz, not the way your burning. There is a version of NesterDC that is 50Hz PAL standard, but SBI menu is always 60Hz.

oibara
May 28th, 2005, 13:21
My TV is 60Hz. :(

Basically, i've had one successful disc with it, and the rest did the flickering screen. I tried burning the successful one again, and it worked as usual. :(

edit : yes, this is a PAL DC.

ptr.exe
May 28th, 2005, 13:35
Okay, so its not the TV... what speed are you burning at? as Eric said it should be no more than 8x.

oibara
May 28th, 2005, 13:47
I keep it limited to 4x.

ptr.exe
May 28th, 2005, 17:42
ummm.... i really dont know. What emu are you burning? what are you using to burn it? What cable do you have connecting your DC to the tv? do commercial games flicker?

oibara
May 29th, 2005, 16:03
commercial games play just fine. the cable is the standard one included in DC package.

I've used both DIscjuggler and Alcohol 120% in various modes.

I was burning NesterDC. Works but flickers.

DCDayDreamer
May 29th, 2005, 19:58
commercial games play just fine. the cable is the standard one included in DC package.

I've used both DIscjuggler and Alcohol 120% in various modes.

I was burning NesterDC. Works but flickers.

Strange!, I've never heard of this problem with NesterDC before, is it the menu that flickers?, or the roms when playing? (both?).

BlackAura
May 30th, 2005, 03:42
Are you totally sure that your TV can do 60Hz? It certainly doesn't sound like it, and there is no way that a messed up burn could possibly cause this kind of problem. Try getting the 50Hz version of NesterDC, and (maybe) try burning DreamSNES too (which runs in 50Hz by default on PAL DCs).

oibara
May 30th, 2005, 11:22
It turns out that everything works on one of the other TVs in my house. This puzzles me as i know full well that my normal TV is 60Hz -- i bought it to play Windwaker, which demanded 60hz!

Either way, thank you very much for your support, guys. :) I'm enlightened!

Darksaviour69
May 30th, 2005, 12:03
does it had a scart connection at the back, if not then its mostly likely (99.9%) 50hz only

ptr.exe
May 30th, 2005, 12:44
Windwaker is a 50Hz only game, the bonus disc that comes with it is 60Hz. Really sounds like your TV is 50Hz only, sometimes getting a RGB Scart cable sorts this type of problem out, but if like DS69 said your TV doesnt have a scart socket then its 50Hz only.