PDA

View Full Version : Sound enhancing

Ebb
May 16th, 2007, 06:59
Ok currently I have an issue with moonshell, when im trying to watch a movie on say the bus, I cant hear over all the loud people. I can easily go over to my ipod peice of my DS and turn up the volume even more so I can hear, but I was wondering if there were any apps that enhance volume or things a long that line?

Thanks

Ebbs

eomund
May 16th, 2007, 20:02
Head Phones are the best I can offer, I use them when I need to pay more attention. They also (if you have good ones) usually sound better than the stock speakers.

Ebb
May 16th, 2007, 22:14
Yeah I have about 5 pairs, and I use those while watching movies, but I still cant hear. x_x

DanTheManMS
May 17th, 2007, 00:52
Well, you can use Moonshell's built-in software amplification using the X and Y buttons, but it's going to sound fuzzy and distorted the higher you go. My solution would be to get a hardware amplifier instead. You can get portable headphone amplifiers/splitter for about $20 at places like Radio Shack. The one I have amplifies it by 100% and also splits it three ways, useful for sharing videos with friends.

Ebb
May 17th, 2007, 01:13
Well, you can use Moonshell's built-in software amplification using the X and Y buttons, but it's going to sound fuzzy and distorted the higher you go. My solution would be to get a hardware amplifier instead. You can get portable headphone amplifiers/splitter for about $20 at places like Radio Shack. The one I have amplifies it by 100% and also splits it three ways, useful for sharing videos with friends.

Ah, completely forgot about the amplifier on moonshell xD

and what brand would you recomend on headphones cus I would like a splitter than enhances volume as well. It's hard to share 1 set of ear phones.

DanTheManMS
May 17th, 2007, 02:44
I don't think the headphones make too much of a difference, but if it matters, I use "Phillips SBC H5430" headphones and am satisfied with them.

Or did you mean to ask what type of splitter? Basically, what I was looking into was this device called the Boostaroo, but it turns out Radio Shack has their own generic version that does the exact same thing but with their brand name on it. It both splits and amplifies, so all three users can listen to the amplified sound. Here's an image (click for larger view):
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/2470/ampzm0.th.png (http://img412.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ampzm0.png)

Ebb
May 17th, 2007, 04:24
Yeah the splitter w/ Aimplifier
And how much do those usually run for?

DanTheManMS
May 17th, 2007, 05:09
I mentioned I bought it for $20 in my other post. You can also look up "boostaroo" on Google to see some price lists.

eomund
May 17th, 2007, 21:25
One of these days I'm gonna hook up my DS to my big amp. DS in surround sound would rock :p .

DanTheManMS
May 18th, 2007, 00:03
Sometimes I'll use a simple audio cable to run from my DS's headphone port to my computer's "audio in" port, which actually sounds pretty good. I'm surprised about how much bass the DS can actually output.