PDA

View Full Version : CD-Rs and Dreamcast laser question...

DanielKurland
May 20th, 2007, 07:42
I read the other thread, but it was from a while ago, and it didn't answer all my questions. So, after all this time has passed, what is the definitive answer? Will playing backup games I burned on CD-Rs eventually ruin the Dreamcast laser? I'm fairly certain I didn't burn the games with dummy files, as I'm not even sure what they are. And, if the laser does become compromised, have certain techniques, like turning the Dreamcast on its side, work to make games play, or is opening the Dreamcast absolutely necessary? Basically, I'm eager to play my backups, and have a good time, but I certainly don't want to ruin my Dreamcast. Any help and insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: Just thought I'd mention that all games were burned at either 4X or 8X speed, and I've heard that this, apparently will avoid most laser issues.

Xiaopang
May 20th, 2007, 16:24
i can't even count how often this was answered before...how about using the search function for a change??

SSaxdude
May 20th, 2007, 16:42
I use many backed up games on my DC and it works fine. I've heard that burning it on low speeds is better for the DC.

DanielKurland
May 20th, 2007, 16:56
SSaxDude, did you just burn them at a low speed, or did you also add a dummy file, and when you played your games, did the Dreamcast act any louder than usual? Thanks.

Darksaviour69
May 20th, 2007, 17:09
no warez talk allowed, read rules.