PDA

View Full Version : NEOGEO CD v0.01 Emu for PSP

wraggster
June 1st, 2005, 01:56
The <a href="http://psp-dev.org/pukiwiki/index.php?plugin=related&page=NEOGEO%20CD" target="_blank" >PSP Wiki</a> people have released the worlds first NeoGeo CD emulator for the PSP, check out the info and much more either above or at our page here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/negeocd.shtml

Thanks to <a href="http://psp-dev.org/pukiwiki/index.php?plugin=related&page=NEOGEO%20CD" target="_blank" >PSP Wiki</a> for the release.

nexis2600
June 1st, 2005, 02:04
*does the happy dance*

I love it when I am right. Now to wait for the psphack to post it so i can cuss out all the loosers. :D

--edit--
OMG. Other then the lack of sound the speed is very good (but i dont think it's perfect). I'm playing Samurai Shodown right now (Note yes I have a legal copy sitting here at my desk, best proof i can give is on the last page the phone number listed is 06(339)0110) and it's great. Man wish I had bought a copy of Samurai Shodown 2. :(

Might have to go hit ebay tonight.

Cap'n 1time
June 1st, 2005, 02:30
Hey! I Was The First To Suggest It Was A Neogeo Cd Emulator!! Give Me Some Credit!

wraggster
June 1st, 2005, 02:33
anyone got any screenshots of this baby in action ;)

nexis2600
June 1st, 2005, 02:34
Hey! I Was The First To Suggest It Was A Neogeo Cd Emulator!! Give Me Some Credit!

*Bows to 1timeuser*
Great minds think a like. :D (Note I felt replies to your post were odd but did not see your post saying it was neo geo cd emu, So i figured it out on my own as well, we rock!! ) :D

--edit--
I'll post a short vid in a sec of it running.

nexis2600
June 1st, 2005, 02:42
Here you go. A short vid and a picture of my copy of Samurai shodown (sorry just felt like it).

--edit--
wraggster, feel free to post the video up on the neo geo cd page.

Cap'n 1time
June 1st, 2005, 02:57
whoa... from your video i see this thing is pretty freaking fast!

nexis2600
June 1st, 2005, 03:03
whoa... from your video i see this thing is pretty freaking fast!

Not perfect but still pretty damn fast. :)

ganon
June 1st, 2005, 03:06
looks definately playable

aseddon130
June 1st, 2005, 04:41
WTF ... A NEOGEO emulator ... yay ... shame i dont have any neogeo CD games tho ... and 1.0 ... damn ... hope they do a normal NeoGeo emu, i got plenty of roms :D

quzar
June 1st, 2005, 10:03
i still think it violates the code's license.

SoQb0nc5r
June 1st, 2005, 14:54
where do i get the bios from? and what is it?

Darksaviour69
June 1st, 2005, 14:59
don't ask for the bios, its against the rules

i still think it violates the code's license.

why?

quzar
June 1st, 2005, 16:10
original authors license says it cannot be distributed on the same media as the games. I take that as meaning you must have it read original discs. It can easily be interpreted as meaning 'dont give this with roms' but to me it seems that would be redundant to say. We already know it is illegal to distrubte it with roms, and anyone doing so would be violating laws above whatever the license says.

I think i may give a better explaination in the quake/neogeo thread.

Darksaviour69
June 1st, 2005, 16:16
mmm, i c. and of course the psp can't read the original cds.... did anyone contact the original authors?

shizzle
June 1st, 2005, 18:32
yes, wink, i think i better go out and by some legal neogeo cds on ebay wink. I am so happy i think i'll wait to by the legal version wink.

Tehehehe

Cap'n 1time
June 1st, 2005, 23:04
original authors license says it cannot be distributed on the same media as the games. I take that as meaning you must have it read original discs. It can easily be interpreted as meaning 'dont give this with roms' but to me it seems that would be redundant to say. We already know it is illegal to distrubte it with roms, and anyone doing so would be violating laws above whatever the license says.

I think i may give a better explaination in the quake/neogeo thread.

While I think quzar is totally correct, I dont think SNK is going to give half a rats ass. It really is the priciple of the thing though but then again, making legal backups would violate this, as its not on the media that it actually came on. Am I not correct?

quzar
June 2nd, 2005, 01:01
While I think quzar is totally correct, I dont think SNK is going to give half a rats ass. It really is the priciple of the thing though but then again, making legal backups would violate this, as its not on the media that it actually came on. Am I not correct?

the idea of 'legal backups' as defined by the DMCA is only archival backups. You can create them on whatever format you want, but they are not to be used unless the original media because unplayable.

the question here isnt the legality (although its iffy) of copying the files off your own CD and using them. Its wether or not the original author was trying to prohibit that.

shizzle
June 2nd, 2005, 15:17
god it's like what the other guy said, this is like a house full of puritains, even though i obtain my games legally Wink.

Anyway can someone tell me how this thing works.

quzar
June 2nd, 2005, 15:30
Thing is I don't care how you get the games or how you use them. I AM NOT talking about warez. I'm talking about respecting the emulator author's wishes. If I were worried about warez then I would sit around yelling at everyone doing cartidge console emulation (including myself?).

Cap'n 1time
June 2nd, 2005, 15:37
Thing is I don't care how you get the games or how you use them. I AM NOT talking about warez. I'm talking about respecting the emulator author's wishes. If I were worried about warez then I would sit around yelling at everyone doing cartidge console emulation (including myself?).

Yah, what about that quzar? your such a warez whore.
kidding.

What do you mean the emulator authors wishes?

Darksaviour69
June 2nd, 2005, 15:50
this emu is a port of another emu, the original author did all the hard work. it his wishes quzar is think about

quzar
June 2nd, 2005, 16:11
Fabrice Martinez wrote the emulator. His license for its use is pretty normal (basically GPL) but it has that one added clause. I firmly belive this is why the original emulator (and the SDL ports) do not allow for either ISO reading, or reading the plainfiles off a hard drive.

nexis2600
June 2nd, 2005, 16:38
anybody have Fabrice Martinez email address to ask? I really just think it's a basic (and badly writen) clause to state that the emulator and an iso should not be put together on a single media and distributed.

I know quzar thinks thats a pretty "DUH" thing to note with emulators and roms but many authors do note in their readme files is they will not allow for the selling of their emulator or for the emulator to be distributed with roms.

shizzle
June 2nd, 2005, 18:45
who really cares, why are you all so worked up, is this an i am more legal than you topic or do you have some real interest in wether he wanted us to only use our legal neocd disks with it.

Cap'n 1time
June 2nd, 2005, 23:06
anybody have Fabrice Martinez email address to ask? I really just think it's a basic (and badly writen) clause to state that the emulator and an iso should not be put together on a single media and distributed.

I know quzar thinks thats a pretty "DUH" thing to note with emulators and roms but many authors do note in their readme files is they will not allow for the selling of their emulator or for the emulator to be distributed with roms.

yes, but how hard would it be to add iso funtionality into his program? I think he would have added that a while ago if that were his wishes. anyways, id rather have a AES emulator or even some kind of Final Burn emu ported to the PSP.

nexis2600
June 3rd, 2005, 02:17
yes, but how hard would it be to add iso funtionality into his program? I think he would have added that a while ago if that were his wishes. anyways, id rather have a AES emulator or even some kind of Final Burn emu ported to the PSP.

Look how easy it would be for me to add in file selection menu yet I still havent.

Just because something is done is not good enough reason. Its said many times in the site & readme he did the emu for himself to play neo cds he had. That could explain alot why there is no iso suport (he had no reason to add it).

It also would not take much to clearly state in the text file "This code is open source and you are free to do what you like with it except for adding iso suport."

Cap'n 1time
June 3rd, 2005, 02:48
Look how easy it would be for me to add in file selection menu yet I still havent.

Just because something is done is not good enough reason. Its said many times in the site & readme he did the emu for himself to play neo cds he had. That could explain alot why there is no iso suport (he had no reason to add it).

It also would not take much to clearly state in the text file "This code is open source and you are free to do what you like with it except for adding iso suport."

point taken.

shizzle
June 3rd, 2005, 10:36
what would happen if you were to add iso support, could/would he or anyone else for that matter care or take legal action. The same with you and your neogeopocket.

Darksaviour69
June 3rd, 2005, 13:12
in theory yes, if you break a GPL licence you are breaking the law, but i don't think it has ever happened or ever will. but its not just a legal issue its a moral one, honor bettween coders. There are coders out there that steal other people work, and take all the credit - = IAN MICHEAL = - i'm sure that Fabrice Martinez, just did not want his emu to be used as only a warez tool but since the psp can't read the original cd i would guess he would not mind, but contacting him would clear it all up

shizzle
June 3rd, 2005, 15:29
{text removed}

galactic
June 19th, 2005, 20:57
hi!

I have the 512k bios and i put all the files on my PSP in "I:\PSP\GAME\NeoCD". I have the EBOOT.PBP, loading, startup, and NeoCD.bin in that folder. When I start it it starts to load and gets to the loading screen but after about 5 secends of staying on the loading screen it quits and goes back to the main PSP menu and doesnt give me any errors. Please help...

Regards!

fantoboy
June 20th, 2005, 01:10
I'm having trouble. I think the problem is with the game zipfile. I am supposed to extract all of the files from the image and insert them into neocd.zip? is that it? Do I need to do anything with the mp3s? The games I have are all isos with mp3s (which arent in the isos).

consoul
June 20th, 2005, 11:13
When I start it it starts to load and gets to the loading screen but after about 5 secends of staying on the loading screen it quits and goes back to the main PSP menu and doesnt give me any errors.

It'll do that if there's no NEOCD.ZIP file. You have the bios and the EBOOT, but do you have a NEOCD.ZIP (ie. game rom) in there as well?

consoul
June 20th, 2005, 11:16
I am supposed to extract all of the files from the image and insert them into neocd.zip? is that it?

Yes, that's it. Extract all the files in the ISO, zip them up as NEOCD.ZIP. Ignore the MP3s. Put the NEOCD.ZIP in the same folder as the EBOOT.

Cell
June 20th, 2005, 11:23
I get to the load screen then back to psp menu also. I have zipped the iso contents and put them in the right folder. Nothing. I have the 512 bios. All like this.

STARTUP.BIN
NEOCD.ZIP
NEOCD.BIN
EBOOT.PBP

consoul
June 20th, 2005, 11:30
Works perfectly for me under v1.00.
In the folder named NEOCD I have these five files:
EBOOT.PBP
STARTUP.BIN
loading.bmp
NEOCD.BIN (512K bios)
NEOCD.ZIP (Zipped ISO content)

Cell
June 20th, 2005, 19:27
Yeah. I have 1.5 so maybe Ive done something wrong on the first mem card. I dont think so. It loads up the starting image of the emu and then trys to access the mem card. Then goes back to the Psp.

layeibrahim
October 8th, 2005, 04:56
Works perfectly for me under v1.00.
In the folder named NEOCD I have these five files:
EBOOT.PBP
STARTUP.BIN
loading.bmp
NEOCD.BIN (512K bios)
NEOCD.ZIP (Zipped ISO content)

hmmm. :confused: does this thing work with any ISO or just psps or ps2? and after i extract an ISO file how do i turn it into a zip file again? and the bios i download isn't named neocd.bin when i download it. is that normal? so if i have more then 1 games in there do i name them all NEOCDPSP.ZIP or add somthing else to it? i have a 1.5 psp. it would be nice for an answer. please im me on msn or yahoo because i dont now how to refind this furoms after leaving them. [email protected], [email protected]. anyone please. and i've tried to run an emulator but it comes up as that the NEOCD.BIN is not present even dul its in there. i dont get it. thank you. and it would really be nice. i'm a quick learner. i wont take much of anyone's time. lol

Untamed
October 9th, 2005, 06:58
hmmm. :confused: does this thing work with any ISO or just psps or ps2? and after i extract an ISO file how do i turn it into a zip file again? and the bios i download isn't named neocd.bin when i download it. is that normal? so if i have more then 1 games in there do i name them all NEOCDPSP.ZIP or add somthing else to it? i have a 1.5 psp. it would be nice for an answer. please im me on msn or yahoo because i dont now how to refind this furoms after leaving them. [email protected], [email protected]. anyone please. and i've tried to run an emulator but it comes up as that the NEOCD.BIN is not present even dul its in there. i dont get it. thank you. and it would really be nice. i'm a quick learner. i wont take much of anyone's time. lol

I am experiencing a similar case out here. I have got the BIOS & it is able to start but it juz hangs at the loading page. However, the directional pad and music is working. I have unzip the game & created a folder for the mp3 files.

K:\PSP\GAME\neocdpsp\Metal Slug
K:\PSP\GAME\neocdpsp\Metal Slug\Neocd.mp3

After "starting" the game after trying the start button, a blank screen is shown but i can hear the game going on and able to play. Pls help. :confused:

Emu : NeoCD Ver. 0.5
Files : EBOOT.PBP
loading.bmp
neocdpsp.ini
startup.bin
NeoCD.bin

Kindly drop me a mail or msg in msn @ [email protected] :D