PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Needs $200 Price Cut To Recover

Triv1um
May 25th, 2007, 18:57
Via GWN (GameWorld Network) (http://www.gwn.com/news/story.php/id/12801/Analyst_PS3_Needs_200_Price_Cut_To_Recover.html)

An analyst from the Bank of America has been speaking with Gamedaily, and says that he believes Sony must cut the price of the PS3 by $200 in order for it to maybe recover next year.

The analyst, Michael Savner, says:

"While Sony could cut the price by $150 - $200, we view that as less likely given that it is already losing approximately $200 per console at $599, based on our estimates ... Offsetting a potential price cut are decreasing production costs, which should improve significantly this year. We estimate that the loss per console could decline to about $50, assuming Sony does not cut its wholesale prices. Bottom line, we don't expect Sony to make up meaningful ground against the Wii this year."

Savner goes on to talk about how the Wii is hurting the industry, because publishers invested in next-gen graphics and tech, and if the Wii continues to dominate then that money will be wasted somewhat. He also comments that Nintendo doesn't play well with third party publishers.

Savner's entire interview seems to lead us to one conclusion - that it's in the best interest of the industry for the PS3 to do well.

dejkirkby
May 25th, 2007, 18:59
I seriously think a massive price cut won't save the PS3.

Buddy4point0
May 25th, 2007, 19:14
yea me too, ps3 is too far down, mabey in a few years it will have broke even

ICE
May 25th, 2007, 19:16
they cant cut the price. they're already selling at a $200 loss per system..

wraggster
May 25th, 2007, 20:09
if some killer games come out for it it will succeed.

Sony got a little bigheaded with regards to the console industry.

kaffie
May 25th, 2007, 20:21
Its far too expensive for an idle purchase and has no "must have" titles yet.

Cap'n 1time
May 25th, 2007, 20:23
A price cut will only make things harder on them. There is no way Sony can fix their problem immediately or even in a year. Progress will have to be slow... but Sony should be ashamed of themselves for getting into this situation in the first place. As wraggster said, "Sony got a little bigheaded".

Accordion
May 25th, 2007, 20:24
if some killer games come out for it it will succeed.

Sony got a little bigheaded with regards to the console industry.

thankfully the games are coming. though i dont think sony were trying to be big headed. i believe they tried aiming too high, and the realisation that they couldnt make the console they wanted too panic set in and all the [huge] barriers came up.

im happy with the purchase though, and for me £425 spent on a console i use every week is better than spending £180 on a console which is currently in its box.

JKKDARK
May 25th, 2007, 20:27
the only big title will be Metal Gear Solid 4

F9zDark
May 25th, 2007, 22:23
The thing of it is, either way its a lose-lose for Sony, they are losing money now, because everyone is buy a Wii rather than a PS3, less consoles equals less money selling games.

If they cut the price, they lose money immediately, but the more people with PS3s the more games sold, more money in Sony's pockets later.

Sony NEEDS to cut the price and SOON. They cannot afford to have people waiting 3 years to buy a PS3 because the price is astronomical...

alienanthropologist
May 25th, 2007, 22:28
thankfully the games are coming. though i dont think sony were trying to be big headed. i believe they tried aiming too high, and the realisation that they couldnt make the console they wanted too panic set in and all the [huge] barriers came up.

im happy with the purchase though, and for me £425 spent on a console i use every week is better than spending £180 on a console which is currently in its box.

A console it's never going to be good value for money if you don't get it out of the box! Get it out the the box! You'll realise why it's so much more fun and actually worth the money! :thumbup:

F9zDark
May 25th, 2007, 22:40
Maybe for you, I know of only one person out of three who owns a Wii and plays it every day. The Wii was a good business idea on Nintendo's part:

-Create a cheap console that costs almost nothing to produce (so they can earn profit on its sales)

-Create a console that uses gimmicks (as is common knowledge, people usually fall for gimmicks...)

There is nothing really solid about the Wii, except the fact that its really, a terrible console for any game that isn't made for a five year old.

Shadowblind
May 25th, 2007, 22:42
Maybe for you, I know of only one person out of three who owns a Wii and plays it every day. The Wii was a good business idea on Nintendo's part:

-Create a cheap console that costs almost nothing to produce (so they can earn profit on its sales)

-Create a console that uses gimmicks (as is common knowledge, people usually fall for gimmicks...)

There is nothing really solid about the Wii, except the fact that its really, a terrible console for any game that isn't made for a five year old.

SSBB is gonna be rated T like the first 2 ;)
Zelda TP was too. :D

Your right though, SIXAXIS is quite a gimmick...I don't know, some people fell for it I guess.

potatoman
May 25th, 2007, 22:43
i remember the same things being said about ps2, look what happened there lol.

F9zDark
May 25th, 2007, 22:51
SSBB is gonna be rated T like the first 2 ;)
Zelda TP was too. :D

Your right though, SIXAXIS is quite a gimmick...I don't know, some people fell for it I guess.

Who buys a PS3 for the SIXAXIS? Yes the option of motion control is available to PS3 users, but its that, AN OPTION.

Sorry, that doesn't qualify as a gimmick. And my post about games being made for five year olds wasn't about the ratings, rather the appeal and capability of playing said game for a long period of time. Have you played COD3 or Red Steel? Yeah, terrible games on the Wii, that do nothing but frustrate serious players.

On the bright side, a five year old might have fun, since winning or losing isn't all that important at that stage in life.

Triv1um
May 25th, 2007, 22:54
SIXAXIS is a gimmic?

Its a regular pad with something else in it.

The wiimote is a vibrating dildo shaped stick which MAKES you use motion.

Your telling me if they made a ps3 with a xbox360 inside you would say thats a gimmic (stupid exaple i know :) )

Shadowblind
May 25th, 2007, 22:54
Lol, are you kidding? When I was 5 I put cheats in Doom just so i could win! :rofl: But like I said, I played Doom when I was 5, whats keeping a five-year old from playing resistance? Doom is still rated M :)

If SIXAXIS isn't a gimmick, then what makes you think the WiiMote is?

Accordion
May 25th, 2007, 22:56
my wii is in the box because i got bored, and i would like to keep my pride and not accept i made a big mistake in buying it.

and the sixaxis is a gimmick, but i the sixaxis isnt a console

ICE
May 25th, 2007, 22:56
stop kidding yourself. wii is murdering ps3 in every way.

ps3 has NOTHING. literally ZERO good games you cant get elsewhere. they screwed up just admit it.

its obvious what happening. i mean if i payed $600 for something id lie through my teeth about how great it is too ;)

i dont care if you say that you dont like the wii but saying its only good for 5 year olds and that it has nothing solid about it is just simple minded opinion.

EDIT: if you wanna play the same old games on a new overpriced console go ahead but dont insult the alternative because you dont like it.

DPyro
May 25th, 2007, 22:59
I only have a Wii right now, but I have to agree. It appeals to non-gamers more because the controls are so simplistic a two year old could play it. Next week I'm getting a PS3 though :D

ICE
May 25th, 2007, 23:01
i dont get how becuase its easy to control its for kids. do you guys prefer things that are hard to control?

Shadowblind
May 25th, 2007, 23:01
Controls are so simplistic? You ever try playing DBZ BT2? :D For Zelda, I rather like the new idea of swinging the controller. (granted, not in someones face ;) )

Truely, whats keeping the PS3 controls so difficult to use?

ICE
May 25th, 2007, 23:04
any gamer who plays the wii (zelda, spm, the godfather) and says they hate it is just too stuck up to see that ITS FUN.

DPyro
May 25th, 2007, 23:04
Controls are so simplistic? You ever try playing DBZ BT2? :D For Zelda, I rather like the new idea of swinging the controller. (granted, not in someones face ;) )

Truely, whats keeping the PS3 controls so difficult to use?

Take a game like Gran Turismo. On the PS3, a non gamer would have a hard time getting use to the controls. Whereas the Wii, you could hold the controller like a steering wheel to move the vehicle.

Triv1um
May 25th, 2007, 23:07
Yeah olny a kid would find that fun.

i would rather lye down on my bed, hold a pad and play a game.

Not having to be standing up swinging my arms about (zelda is one of the few games you dont have to do that, zelda is a very layed back game)

ICE
May 25th, 2007, 23:07
Take a game like Gran Turismo. On the PS3, a non gamer would have a hard time getting use to the controls. Whereas the Wii, you could hold the controller like a steering wheel to move the vehicle.

thats bad?

i, for one, prefer controls that mimic the real thing. call me weird...

Shadowblind
May 25th, 2007, 23:08
Really?...Most of my more [boring] friends like racing games because of the lack of aiming and how easy it is to 'go'. They dont like FPS because they, well frankly, can't AIM! :D

They just aren't very good with controls. They play a video game say oh once every few days.

I find the Wii fun. Pretty sure Im not a kid. Or was that a FANBOY opinion, as I shall call them from now on?

Really, Im not too lazy as to stand up. However, sadly sometimes I act too lazy :D Even when I'm sitting, I dont even notice it yet Im still playing the Wii game as though Im standing.

DPyro
May 25th, 2007, 23:10
It's not very challenging = not very fun.

Shadowblind
May 25th, 2007, 23:13
Thats not a fanboy opinion, however that IS an opinion.

ICE
May 25th, 2007, 23:13
the wii controls (when implemented properly) make the games more accessible WITHOUT taking away from the gameplay.

i handed my dad a wii-mote and we started playing red steel and guess what? he wasnt that bad! it was his FIRST FPS as well! i consider that a good thing.

It's not very challenging = not very fun.

true but i dont think that simple means easy. just because theres no learning curve doesnt mean its hard.

F9zDark
May 25th, 2007, 23:26

Its only winning because its so cheap everyone can afford one. I am willing to bet half the Wii owners out there own a PS3 or Xbox360...

ps3 has NOTHING. literally ZERO good games you cant get elsewhere. they screwed up just admit it.

It has plenty of great games out. Resistance, COD3 is good on the PS3, Blazing Angels, Ninja Gaiden. Hell even Super Rub-a-Dub is a great game.

its obvious what happening. i mean if i payed $600 for something id lie through my teeth about how great it is too ;)

The price tag has nothing to do with how I talk about the console. But then again, maybe it does. Just ask the two other people I know who bought Wiis and wish they bought PS3s instead.

i dont care if you say that you dont like the wii but saying its only good for 5 year olds and that it has nothing solid about it is just simple minded opinion.

EDIT: if you wanna play the same old games on a new overpriced console go ahead but dont insult the alternative because you dont like it.

You're right, I don't like the Wii. I have stated why I don't like it numerous times, but I suppose I will do so again:

-Wii's CPU is only 1.5 times faster than the Gamecube... Way to go Nintendo, make people buy the Gamecube, yet again.

-Wii-mote uses Infrared to paint its location in 3d space. While a good idea on paper, Nintendo implemented it stupidly. One sensor bar? How can you triangulate (which is necessary for discerning how something occupies 3d space) with one sensor bar? You can't. And its evident with misreads and the like.

-Wii bowling and golf, while fun as hell, is also stupidly implemented. Rather than using physics to determine how the ball should strike the pins, it uses a database of measured throws and determines how your throw matches. And the closest match is the outcome... Don't believe me? Read this from here: http://www.time4.com/time4/microsites/popsci/howitworks/nintendo_wii.html

4. The Ace
The controller wirelessly sends data about your movement to the main console, which compares your actions with a database of possible swings. If you swing smoothly with a straight follow-through, it corresponds to a perfect shot, and you’re headed for a hole-in-one.

-Making people pay for games they might already own, yet having the ability to play it on the Wii. I still own Super Mario, Legend of Zelda, etc. Yet to play those on the Wii, I'd have to pay for them again... Great. Thanks Nintendo.

-No media playback. Why should anyone let a console that has no ability to play movies (at the least!) take up their valuable TV and shelf space?

Shadowblind
May 25th, 2007, 23:30
Im sorry, but--I can't bear to read all that. Please for goodness sake make your posts shorter! :)

Half the Wii owners? I suppose its possible, but I don't really see what difference that makes.

As for me, I don't care just how stupid it is--I bought the Wii to have fun, not to stare at its technical wonder.

ICE
May 25th, 2007, 23:37
resistance looks like a ps2 game, cod3, blazing angles and ninja gaieden are available elsewhere. wtf is a super rub a dub?

1.5x a gamecube? great RE4 looked awesome on GC ;)

one sesnor bar? im sorry i thought it had to points on the bar ;)

your right, wii bowling and golf are fun

non of my cartridges work anymore so i love VC

i already have a dvd player thanks

IF YOU WANT THE BEST GRAPHICS BUY A PC!!!!

Triv1um
May 25th, 2007, 23:41
Haha, super rub a dub is a game dowloadable off the PSN shop.

IT is awesome, you have to guide little duckies through mazes and stuff using the sixaxis pad and you have to get the duckies into a plughole.

pwnage

F9zDark
May 25th, 2007, 23:43
resistance looks like a ps2 game, cod3, blazing angles and ninja gaieden are available elsewhere.

wtf is a super rub a dub?

and the rest of the post is a non-point.

IF YOU WANT THE BEST GRAPHICS BUY A PC!!!!

Resistance does NOT look like a PS2 game...

Super Rub a Dub is a game where you control the 'mother rubber duck' and you have to get the rubber ducklings to the exit without falling out of the tub or being eaten by toy sharks.

Non-point? Right, thats just a Wii-owners way of saying "I have nothing to say about those points because they are true."

I already own a PC, in fact 3 of them and 2 laptops. But consoles have traditionally, been better gaming setups for more than 1 person at a time. Can't get split screen gaming on my PC, even though I can get lan gaming, but there is a certain fun factor involved in playing a game split screen that the PC just cannot match.

ICE
May 25th, 2007, 23:45
Resistance does NOT look like a PS2 game...

Super Rub a Dub is a game where you control the 'mother rubber duck' and you have to get the rubber ducklings to the exit without falling out of the tub or being eaten by toy sharks.

Non-point? Right, thats just a Wii-owners way of saying "I have nothing to say about those points because they are true."

I already own a PC, in fact 3 of them and 2 laptops. But consoles have traditionally, been better gaming setups for more than 1 person at a time. Can't get split screen gaming on my PC, even though I can get lan gaming, but there is a certain fun factor involved in playing a game split screen that the PC just cannot match.

ive played resisitance. it looks pretty crappy to me.

and i edited my post to explain the non points ;)

MANCHESTERUNITEDDAN
May 25th, 2007, 23:52
As much as i like the ideas and the wii is a good blast few times a week i think the wii will suffer once people have had enough of the controlling gimmicks then ninty will have to go back to the traditional control methods then Nintendo wii will have a problem keeping up with MS and Sony due to it's superceded hardware(after all the Wii is only marginally better than the original XBOX).

The only way it will suceed is if it stays out the other 2 consoles way problem is kids will become bored of variations of the same games or sequels,once the kids see a PS3/360 game they can tell the superior graphics(even more so with HD) Kids get tempted lot easier

Shadowblind
May 25th, 2007, 23:55
Resistance really does look very PS2-ish(worse then KHII)

I've never heard of Super Rub-a-Dub. Was that a fan game, or something only out for japs?

Iceman said: IF YOU WANT THE BEST GRAPHICS BUY A PC!!!!

No, get a 360 ;) Oddly, DMC4, even though originally a PS3 games, looks much better on the 360 (via screenshots)

Don't ask why, all I know is I compared 360 and PS3 graphics in the PS3 vs. 360 thread, and it got "mysteriously" locked, as though someone didn't want any more discussion.

DPyro
May 25th, 2007, 23:57
Um, your all starting to get way off-topic now. Keep on topic or I start giving out infractions (and no, resistance looks good if you have an HDTV to play it on).

ICE
May 25th, 2007, 23:57
Resistance really does look very PS2-ish(worse then KHII)

I've never heard of Super Rub-a-Dub. Was that a fan game, or something only out for japs?

Iceman said: IF YOU WANT THE BEST GRAPHICS BUY A PC!!!!

No, get a 360 ;)

um no i said if you want the best graphics get a pc ;)

EDIT: uh oh who called the popo?

like i said before the sony cant cut price anymore. they're losing $200 per console already ..

DPyro
May 25th, 2007, 23:59
DMC4 is being made for PS3 and later being ported to X360.

Shadowblind
May 25th, 2007, 23:59
Woah, hes right, sorry about that Sniper, I'll get Back on topic :p

But $200...even then I would only buy it for the possible KH3. I care more about the games then the console. Now if it was $300 less....no, I'd stay with what I said.

EDIT: Then that may be why DMC4 looks better on 360.

F9zDark
May 26th, 2007, 00:06
No, get a 360 ;) Oddly, DMC4, even though originally a PS3 games, looks much better on the 360 (via screenshots)

Don't ask why, all I know is I compared 360 and PS3 graphics in the PS3 vs. 360 thread, and it got "mysteriously" locked, as though someone didn't want any more discussion.

The only screenshots of DMC4 that are out are for the PS3 version...

Shadowblind
May 26th, 2007, 00:15
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/894/894664/imgs_1.html
Zat so?

DPyro
May 26th, 2007, 00:20
Zat so?

Their the same image on the PS3 section, which are pulled off the official site.

F9zDark
May 26th, 2007, 00:21
Zat so?

HAHA.... http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748464/imgs_1.html

Look familiar? They were all added the same day, for both 'versions'...

ICE
May 26th, 2007, 00:23
Their the same image on the PS3 section, which are pulled off the official site.

so those threats earlier??? um... getting the thread on topic?..?..

DPyro
May 26th, 2007, 00:24
Ok fine, get on topic starting NOW

F9zDark
May 26th, 2007, 01:08
I firmly believe Sony really needs to get the cost down. 200 bucks down would be great, as it would be an extremely competitive price point for both the Xbox360 and Wii.

Some say that Sony will lose more money, and that is an accurate assumption, however its a well known fact that more consoles sold = more money from games.

If Sony were to introduce a 200 dollar price cut by the end of this year, when production costs have reduced considerably, it is possible for them to get enough PS3s in homes now, so that by the end of 2008 they are earning some serious profit.

However, if the PS3 maintains its course, it will be lucky to see 10 million sales by the end of 2008...

ICE
May 26th, 2007, 01:10
basically will a $200 drop cause a surge in software sales large enough to make up for the price drop. thats the question. i say..
no.

at least not now. maybe when manufacturing costs drop off some...

Accordion
May 26th, 2007, 17:38

firstly, your quite violent for a religious man..

second: if you wanna play the same old games on a new overpriced console go ahead but dont insult the alternative because you dont like it.
please tell me some of the new games coming out for the Wii... new IP only please

third: you get what you pay for, my ps3 with inbuilt last gen emulation is more cost effective than a last gen console with a basic control method which cannot ever compare to abstract control schemes.
motion control will not ever replace abstract control ever, so why pour yourself aimllessly into it

acn010
May 26th, 2007, 17:40
i dont care, i have my ps3 collecting dust