PDA

View Full Version : Are European PS3 owners getting Ripped off?

PSPages
May 25th, 2007, 20:44
Apart from the obvious facts like a delayed launch, the removal of the PS2's Emotion Engine chip (to reduce production costs) and a higher price tag, it seems the short fall for PS3 owners in Europe continues.

While the US and Japanese Playstation Store's are bursting at the seams with goodies, gamers in the EU are starting to feel rather left out. Being a Friday the store was due it's weekly update and there was a certain sense of excitement about what we could be getting.

Well the store has now been updated and what do we get?

Calling all Cars - Trailer! (not the game like the Jap and US stores have, a TRAILER!)
flOw - Trailer! (I see a pattern here)
Spiderman 3 - Trailer!

End of update! So we get an update consisting of 3 Trailers! Pretty crap considering the amount of content the other stores are continualy getting. It's like openning your christmas presents to find nothing but socks, a scarf and a hat (actually that would be more exciting)

There's no reason why they can't release the same content on all stores. There are great demo's of games like Ninja Gaiden Sigma on the other 2 stores as well as a host of Playstation games too.

It seems like Sony really could'nt care about those of us in the UK and Europe which is infact quite a sad story. :(

DiGG THIS (http://digg.com/playstation_3/Are_European_PS3_owners_getting_Ripped_off)

http://digg.com/playstation_3/Are_European_PS3_owners_getting_Ripped_off

Please share your opinions on this matter. Are we too moany or are we being given reasons to moan?

Buddy4point0
May 25th, 2007, 22:19
they ost deffinantly are, good thing i live in the us.
although i dont have a ps3 anyway

conkeroo
May 25th, 2007, 22:58
Call me a noob but this is the first ive heard about the lack of the ps2 emotion engine chip being omitted from the european version of the ps3. Does this mean that to play ps2 games, its on an emulation software basis only and that they wont play as well as the us and asia versions of the ps3? I was considering buying a ps3 at some point but im not going to be jipped if i want to play my old ps2 games. What gives?

blackrave
May 26th, 2007, 00:02
Yeah, you're pretty much right, conkeroo. But firmware updates increase compatibility for PSX/PS2 games all the time, so it shouldn't really be a big problem.

I agree with the article. We are so getting ripped off with that price tag! :@
But I'm sure the PS3 will be well worth it in the future, with more updates and better, exclusive games.

Buddy4point0
May 26th, 2007, 00:04
cn i ask, why is this in the psp section?

Solidsnake3000
May 26th, 2007, 02:01
damn thats messed up

Anger
May 26th, 2007, 02:47
we have every reason to be angry at them and guess what - we are!!! sony just thinks it can screw us all over and still make piles of money. there only just starting to get a glimpse of this from the horrendous sales of there ps3. and it can only get worse. its sad knowing that if they actually gave a shit about there customers they wouldnt have had to put the price so sky high, and would therefore have sold a shit load more than they have till now. i for one wont feel sorry for them when they leave the games industry because of the way they think they can continue to shit on us from a great height. hopefully most of us voted with our wallets. that is the only way sony may actually realise they have ****ed up big time. pardon my french.

@ conkeroo - yes it will be totally software driven meaning yes we are getting screwed over yet again. and of course it means for the more intense games it will not perform as well as on those machines with the emotion engine. our only saving grace is there planning to remove it from all future ps3's so there basically saying to hell with backwards compatability. i say to hell with sony.

hd_
May 26th, 2007, 07:17
It is more like getting a picture of socks, a scarf and a hat.

mnky
May 26th, 2007, 10:25
its not just the ps3, everything gamewise is screwed up here. Prices are nearly twice as high, ps3 games here cost around the equivalent of $120, wii games $80. Its annoying.

Triv1um
May 26th, 2007, 11:30
cn i ask, why is this in the psp section?

Im guessing a mod slipped up, because it is in the PS3 news too.

ryan2006
May 26th, 2007, 13:16
thats the reason i havent bought one because amrica and japan get it soo much cheaper but europe is soo expensive and now sony take the piss not wanting you to import and pay an extra £100 on their emotionless ps2 ps3.

bpatel4069
May 26th, 2007, 15:44
YES, WE ARE GETTING RIPPED OFF, im from uk, and i think by now ive got used to the fact that we get treated like a bunch of pillacs! i had to import my psp aswel, and im glad for that, i thank krishna for ebay!! YES!!!

xg917
May 26th, 2007, 18:20
um, dont they need to make PAL version demos in order for them to play on European PS3s...? cuz jap and US ps3s play NTSC..?

Basil Zero
May 26th, 2007, 20:17
Ughh, messed up, sony's reputation lowers once again!

Cenn
May 26th, 2007, 20:46
1. 90% of the replies in this thread have nothing to do with the first post.

2. the first post was written by someone who has no idea what he is talking about. did you know that europe got the Super-Rub-a-Dub game first, before
any other area? does he know that the japanese only got Flow a week ago?
this has nothing to do with europe. sometimes europe gets the good stuff first.

darknight88
May 26th, 2007, 22:22
Cant PAL ps3 owners just make an account with US info to access crap from the USA store? USA gamers make JAP accounts to DL stuff from stuff exclusive to japanese shop. Just my 2 cents...

ab88
May 26th, 2007, 22:34
1. 90% of the replies in this thread have nothing to do with the first post.

2. the first post was written by someone who has no idea what he is talking about. did you know that europe got the Super-Rub-a-Dub game first, before
any other area? does he know that the japanese only got Flow a week ago?
this has nothing to do with europe. sometimes europe gets the good stuff first.

k :confused:
You are right Sony is just releasing all the stuff equally everywhere, no one should be offended or angry.

On a serious note I would feel ripped off for getting like 95% of the stuff late and in crappier packages in most cases.

mikebeaver
May 27th, 2007, 02:47
Basically I can buy a Hong Kong region PS3, it will have the emotion engine in it, will only be 300 pounds and maybe a little more for postage, all the games are universal so that doesnt matter and then i can have all the recentdonloads etc from the asian store.
The UK and european prices are a joke, this is why Nintendo and the Wii are doing so well, the console is cheap, the games are new and inovative and those on the VC (Virtual Console) are usually of high quality and no left out from the NTSC releases, although certain games may only get a foreighn release there are other platforms and wys of playing these on the Wii.Sony need to think of th euro market as a VERY important place, those who disregar it will ultimately fail!

El Stefio
May 27th, 2007, 10:03
Basically I can buy a Hong Kong region PS3, it will have the emotion engine in it, will only be 300 pounds and maybe a little more for postage, all the games are universal so that doesnt matter and then i can have all the recentdonloads etc from the asian store.

That's all well and good, but isn't the PS2 part of the PS3 region locked... making your emotion engine completely useless if you're after playing your old PAL PS2 games....?

Milleniumas
May 27th, 2007, 10:36
first of all Dollar is not = Euro . Hey what a great strategy sony has! They sell cheaper on US and Japan and in return they rip off Europe for price and returns money for selling cheaper PS3 in US and Japan

Cenn
May 27th, 2007, 18:13
k :confused:
You are right Sony is just releasing all the stuff equally everywhere, no one should be offended or angry.

On a serious note I would feel ripped off for getting like 95% of the stuff late and in crappier packages in most cases.

considering the fact that all nintendo Wii games are region locked, and that users are charged simply for using Xbox Live,....well yes, I can live with Sony's free PS3 network, and region-free games.

now that I'm done replying to you, I'll go browse around the US and EU PS3 stores and see what they have to download.
maybe after that I'll play Oblivion on my Japanese machine.

and if you feel ripped off for getting late stuff, tell you what.
learn japanese and then you could un-regionlock yourself.