PDA

View Full Version : LCD screens on portable devices become darker?

sonikku88
May 31st, 2007, 16:53
Have the LCD screens on portable games consoles become darker since backlights have become manditory?

I remember having to play my old Gameboys (Classic, Color and Advance) under a lamp or outside in the sun in order to see the screen because there was no backlight, and the view was fine. But now since handhelds have had backlights installed, it seems any strong external light causes really bad glare on the screen.
The PSP is the worst culprut. It's damn near impossible to see the screen in the sunlight, especially if you have dust under the faceplate, like mine has on a regular basis. I suppose the PSP constantly relies on it's backlight as it has no option for it to be turned off.
The DS (the old silver one) however did have an option for the backlight to be turned off, but I don't have one anymore so I can't test whether there is any glare or not.
The DS Lite doesn't get as bad a glare as the PSP but the backlight still has to be on quite bright in order to be played in areas with strong external lighting.

But anyway, I was wondering if anybody else noticed this or am I just fussy? =P

DanTheManMS
May 31st, 2007, 20:45
My DS Phat is nearly impossible to see in direct sunlight with the backlight on or off, but I imagine this is because they had to switch to a different type of LCD in order to get the backlight capability.

Vampbri-n
June 9th, 2007, 17:52
i agree with all of you, i think its stupid how this thing is portable but you can't be outside unless its dark.