PDA

View Full Version : How to Guide: Format corrupted Flash1 on your PSP

ZeakStarwind
May 31st, 2007, 21:29
New Guide Added for Flash1 Formatter v2 that is created by Team t0c.

This can be sticky if the guide I'm writing is supportive.

I will give you a tutorial on how to format flash1 using Team t0c's homebrew program.
First download Team t0c's Flash1 Formatter v2 which you can download in this thread LINK (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51002&highlight=flash1+formatter)

Next you will need to extract the program into your GAME folder on your psp through USB MODE on your PSP.
If you don't have something to extract the program then go and download WinRAR on the google search engine.

Once that has been extracted, turn off USB MODE and hold the POWER button untill the PSP Fully shutsdown.

Next after your PSP is turned off, turn it back on again while holding down the R Button. You'll now be in the Recovery Menu.

Scroll down untill you are highlighted on "Run program at /PSP/GAME/RECOVERY/EBOOT.PBP" this will now load up Team t0c's program.

For those who don't read the README Files then I will tell you. Hold down the buttons Triangle + Circle + Cross at the same time to unlock the program.

Now you have a selections in the menu to choose from. If you're flash1 is corrupted then do a complete clean format. Choose the first selection "Press Cross to format Flash1" while holding the L button down so it won't make a dump of your bad format of flash1.

After it's complete you man now press the Cross button and it will restart your PSP back to normal.

There you have it, you're PSP is fully restored normally and you can reset your settings to make new settings.

Old Tutorial - Ingore it as it has some false to it, but only use this if Flash Formatter v2 will freeze when trying to format...
WARNING: I am not held responsible if you try and do this stunt on your Flash0 as you WILL brick it by doing this trick I will teach you!

I know what you're probably saying, you should use Flash1 Formatter V2...well I did and it never worked for my psp as it would freeze since I too had this problem recently. I, for one, found another way around this. Everyone probably knows how to format their hard drive right? Well its about doing the same thing as making your PSP as an HDD USB drive to format the normal way, but requires some computer knowledge.

If you too have the same problem when trying to use Flash1 Formatter V2 and freezes when formating then here's a little trick I found out.

First, you go into Recovery Mode by having your PSP fully turned off and then turn it back on holding down the R button.

Next, go to Advance > Flash1 USB Mode. Make sure your PSP is connected to your computer. (You will need your memory stick still inserted as for some reason doesn't show up without it as it is suppose to trick the computer)

Next you need to go to START > Programs > Accessories > Click "Command Prompt" This will bring up the good old DOS style command GUI.

Ok so now your Command Prompt is opened, but first we need to know your PSP's Drive letter as this is important. You can check it by going to My Computer and it'll show what drive letter your PSP and remember that Letter.

Now lets head on to the Command Prompt. On the program, type this without quotes please... "Format F:" (F: is my drive letter so ignore this as you need your drive letter for this process.)

Now it asks about another process running at the same time and will ask for you to dismount it and say Y/N? Type "Y" as it will dismount the pretend memory stick and will start formatting your Flash1!
NOTE: Depending on the size of your memory stick it will take some time to format as it isn't accessing your memory stick but your PSP's Flash1. Also make sure your PSP is pluged in as you don't want to screw up if your PSP is on low battery power and any of the sort.

Once the format is complete, disable your psp's Flash1 USB mode and now exit your psp to boot to your normal PSP mode.

You're probably going to get the BSOD *Blue Screen of Death* as this is normal. As always keep your PSP plugged in the power and now press O for it to...thats right...reformat the PSP's Flash1 and it will reboot back to normal asking you for your new settings.

And there you have it, no more corrupted Flash1!

EDIT: I've added a tutorial for Flash1 Formatter v2 since I know someone wants a guide for it also...

parkermauney
May 31st, 2007, 22:29
How do you find out if your flash1 is corrupt?

ZeakStarwind
May 31st, 2007, 22:41
How do you find out if your flash1 is corrupt?

Lol guess I should of input that. That's a good question that I'll answer.

You can tell if it's corrupted by going into your Flash1 and trying to open one of the folders like say VSH for example. That was one of my corrupted files and kept making my PSP not working correctly even when you're trying to do Reset to Defaults it would litterally take forever and freeze on you. My VSH folder was giving the error on my computer saying it couldn't be opened and was corrupted. That's how you can tell if it's corrupted because Flash1 is mainly the settings saved from what your PSP is using.

For Example: Using the Webrowser is used to access Flash1 where all of that web browsing data which is History for example is bieing saved at. Remember the settings in Cache that only goes up to like 2MB? well that's because it's using the limits of Flash1 which has about 3MB of space. This is how I can tell what Flash1 was really made for and sometimes can be corrupted if you're flashing the Flash1 too much.

Cloudhunter
June 1st, 2007, 00:55
Holy... at first I thought you were being clever and was giving instructions to use team t0c's flash1 formatter, but formatting in windows? That's just plain retarded.

Plus, all your theories are wrong. Internet files aren't saved in flash1... The cache is in memory.

Research team t0c's flash 1 formatter. It is ALOT safer.

Cloudy

ZeakStarwind
June 1st, 2007, 02:19
Holy... at first I thought you were being clever and was giving instructions to use team t0c's flash1 formatter, but formatting in windows? That's just plain retarded.

Plus, all your theories are wrong. Internet files aren't saved in flash1... The cache is in memory.

Research team t0c's flash 1 formatter. It is ALOT safer.

Cloudy

Well frankly his homebrew didn't work at all. it would always freeze when formating. And even if it was retarded...it worked for me and My psp has worked again ever since I did so... Anyways thanks for the compliment.

EDIT: Since you put it that way I have givin everyone a new guide added for everyone who uses Flash1 Formatter v2 to those that still works for them.

MonthOLDpickle
June 27th, 2008, 17:54
Nothing is working. I push TOC everywhere. I did manage to get the flash1 thigny to pop up in XMB though. But the screen either tells me game can't start or it goes black and turns off by itself....

Saracchini
June 27th, 2008, 18:04
Nothing is working. I push TOC everywhere. I did manage to get the flash1 thigny to pop up in XMB though. But the screen either tells me game can't start or it goes black and turns off by itself....

You should start it within the Recovery Menu. ANd it works only with Phat PSP, since it requires kernel 1.50.
The latest firmwares from DAX have an format flash 1 function included.

MonthOLDpickle
June 27th, 2008, 18:07
You should start it within the Recovery Menu. ANd it works only with Phat PSP, since it requires kernel 1.50.
The latest firmwares from DAX have an format flash 1 function included.

Yea I have a phat with 3.71 M33-4 (Or something) w/ the 1.50 kernal addon.

I even changed to 1.50 in the recovery mode.

Can you provide a link to this DAX?

psparehappiness
September 15th, 2010, 05:23
i need help i think i did it wrong i tried the first one and it said game does not start
i did the second one but instead of dismount it said enter new disk i hit enter and it formatted
something about 4 gigs of space is available but i have a 8 gig
i exited and reboot
the BSOD showed up and i pushed o it went to settings and when i got to Nickname the BOSD reappeared i pushed o and got me out of it and back to the XMB
Everything looked fine but i cant play the games anymore it says game cannot be started

psparehappiness
September 15th, 2010, 05:28
srry my dumba$$ didnt change the settings in recovery in to no umd required
but if you can look over my post and see if i did it right or wrond plz tell me Thx