PDA

View Full Version : Getting started on homebrew, what do you recommend (original style DS)

cha0ticbliss
June 1st, 2007, 04:41
*sigh* I'm new to the DS scene. Bought my DS early on and due to lack of cash and games I stopped playing.

Afterwards I got a psp, got into homebrew with that and such. The audio port broke and now im awaiting a repair part. So, I found out how big the DS homebrew scene is and figured I might as well try it out.

I have a FW 1 DS (original)

I would like 1 GB storage
Good compatability
And well what set-up is considered the "best" (without spending too much) and i dont care if i have to flash or w/e

edit: my one friend who is also starting out it getting this for his DS Lite, however I have an original so I'm not sure if there are any cheaper or better methods out there... http://www.modchipstore.com/M3-DS-Simply-Slot-1-solution-homebrew-backups-microsd-16419.html

sry to ask a noob question but i am pretty lost with all the different methods and such..

DanTheManMS
June 1st, 2007, 04:48
A slot-1 device would probably be the easiest solution for you. For this, the M3 Simply and a microSD could would work. Other popular options are the R4 and Supercard DS, both of which would suit your needs just as well.

ZeakStarwind
June 1st, 2007, 06:39
I know a great place to get you started on the homebrew scene for the NDS as I know a lot for PSP and NDS. I'd suggest getting a Super Card SD as slot 2 since they're actually better in my opinion and cheaper, but if you have enough cash you could get a M3 Adapter CF at Divineo. M3 is expensive and has more compatibility, but Super Card SD is the way to go for cheapness. If you need any other assistance, message me online.

drraagh
June 7th, 2007, 06:31
I have been digging through various sites reading about the differences between Slot 1 and Slot 2 devices and which is best for what I may want to do (since I'm still just getting started in DS homebrew as well).

Given that the DS side has been around for a while now, some of the homebrew stuff for that should be pretty good, but there are still some people who recommend Slot-2 for emulators and even some of the "Better" homebrew (better as in been around longer to have most bugs worked out).

Now, myself, I'm almost considering buying both, since they are fairly cheap now, but wondering if besides GBA only issues, if there's much reason to get Slot-2 tech that slot 1 can't match on?

bobtheninjaoffood
July 4th, 2007, 22:15
*sigh* I'm new to the DS scene. Bought my DS early on and due to lack of cash and games I stopped playing.

Afterwards I got a psp, got into homebrew with that and such. The audio port broke and now im awaiting a repair part. So, I found out how big the DS homebrew scene is and figured I might as well try it out.

I have a FW 1 DS (original)

I would like 1 GB storage
Good compatability
And well what set-up is considered the "best" (without spending too much) and i dont care if i have to flash or w/e

edit: my one friend who is also starting out it getting this for his DS Lite, however I have an original so I'm not sure if there are any cheaper or better methods out there... http://www.modchipstore.com/M3-DS-Simply-Slot-1-solution-homebrew-backups-microsd-16419.html

sry to ask a noob question but i am pretty lost with all the different methods and such..
i would go with the 50 dollar max media player it comes with 1 gig of memory and it works with most .nds files and it supports dldi i use it and like it alot but it doesnt do roms very good so if youre using it for piracy you might want something else thats about all i can offer

DanTheManMS
July 4th, 2007, 23:08
The MMD is not recommended even for homebrew usage, as it does not boot some homebrew files that work fine on every other device.