PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions.......if I'm allowed to...

Cybeat
June 1st, 2007, 21:18
1. I have a "Games N' Music" card and I can't find a DLDI patch for it. Will there ever be one? I'd like a SNES emulator on my DS. Is there a SNES emulator that won't need DLDI patch?

2. Have you played a homebrew game called MegaEtk? Whenever I try to save it, it says FAT disabled. What's FAT?

DanTheManMS
June 1st, 2007, 21:53
There is no DLDI file for the GnM card, and there has not been any documentation provided by Datel so that one could be made. Therefore, any homebrew that accesses the filesystem at all will not work on the GnM. This is most likely why MegaEtk freezes. FAT is the type of filesystem, and since it can't access the filesystem, it freezes.

The only SNES emulation you would be able to do would be to use SNES DS with very small games. See the "slot-1 quickstart" instructions at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNES_DS

Cybeat
June 2nd, 2007, 20:02
What games would work using this method? I can't download Super Mario World anywhere.

DanTheManMS
June 2nd, 2007, 23:54
Anything under 2-3 MB or so. Basically, the final filesize of the *.nds file must be below 4 MB, preferably a few hundred kb short just to be safe. This means that Chrono Trigger and the DKC series are too large, but other games work.

Cybeat
June 3rd, 2007, 03:54
Really? I did this for Metal Warriors and it didn't work. It's only 2 MB. I did forget to change bin file like it told me to do. Why change bin file?

DanTheManMS
June 3rd, 2007, 05:12
The 11-27 version is the last to implement the SuperDAT, which supplies fixes and makes many games more playable. Change the bin file and also download the latest SuperDAT file from the PocketHeaven boards.

Keep in mind that SNES DS has many incompatibilities. Metal Warriors may be one of them.

Cybeat
June 3rd, 2007, 06:58
I checked the list. It's compatible. I can't find the
11-27 version anywhere. Same with Super Mario World.

DanTheManMS
June 3rd, 2007, 21:37
I mean the 11-27 version of SNES DS, not the game. Go to the homepage at http://www.cs.utah.edu/~tew/snesDS/ and download the 11-27-05 version. Use the snesDS.bin file in there to replace the one you're currently using. Then try again.

Cybeat
June 5th, 2007, 00:16
I mean the 11-27 version of SNES DS, not the game. Go to the homepage at http://www.cs.utah.edu/~tew/snesDS/ and download the 11-27-05 version. Use the snesDS.bin file in there to replace the one you're currently using. Then try again.
I know you meant SNES DS. My game still didn't work. What game did you use? I was gonna try Super Mario World, but it's ESA protected eveywhere.

TeenDev
June 5th, 2007, 00:25
actually if you buy chishm a GnM he will likely eventualy make a DLDI patch...

DanTheManMS
June 5th, 2007, 00:42
There are hundreds of games for the SNES. Many will work on SNES DS. Try Acrobat Mission or Kirby's Dream Course or Aladdin or something.

And yes, if Chishm gets a free GnM he might be able to find time to reverse engineer it, but it's not guaranteed.

Cybeat
June 5th, 2007, 06:36
There are hundreds of games for the SNES. Many will work on SNES DS. Try Acrobat Mission or Kirby's Dream Course or Aladdin or something.

And yes, if Chishm gets a free GnM he might be able to find time to reverse engineer it, but it's not guaranteed.

Still, it's not working. I don't get it. I did everything, but still nothing.

DanTheManMS
June 5th, 2007, 07:13
Well, I haven't entirely confirmed that it will work on the GnM actually. Have you tried opening the *.nds file you produce with the latest no$GBA? If it launches in no$GBA and not on your GnM, then I have no idea why it won't work.

The output file is less than 3-4 MB, right?

Cybeat
June 5th, 2007, 18:53
Well, I haven't entirely confirmed that it will work on the GnM actually. Have you tried opening the *.nds file you produce with the latest no$GBA? If it launches in no$GBA and not on your GnM, then I have no idea why it won't work.

The output file is less than 3-4 MB, right?
Yup. How do you open up an .nds file? Also, the reason me NesDS works is because I put in something called Nesds_MMCFix.nds. Don't exactly know what it is or does, but I was looking for one for Snes_DS. I notice many people with Max Media Dock experience same thing I am.

DanTheManMS
June 5th, 2007, 21:19
I mean just launch no$GBA and choose the .nds file from the File - Open menu.

I'm honestly really surprised that the MMD fix works on the GnM, as the two are completely different devices. However, there is no such thing for SNES DS.

Cybeat
June 6th, 2007, 05:26
I mean just launch no$GBA and choose the .nds file from the File - Open menu.

I'm honestly really surprised that the MMD fix works on the GnM, as the two are completely different devices. However, there is no such thing for SNES DS. What's no$GBA? If this fails too, I won't know what to do.

DanTheManMS
June 6th, 2007, 06:11
http://www.google.com/search?q=no%24gba

It's a GBA and NDS emulator for the PC. I merely wish to see if your compiled snesDS.nds file is supposed to run in the first place. If it runs in no$GBA but not your GnM card, then there's nothing I can do. If it doesn't run in no$GBA, then either you built the file wrong or the game simply isn't compatible.

Cybeat
June 6th, 2007, 07:23
http://www.google.com/search?q=no%24gba

It's a GBA and NDS emulator for the PC. I merely wish to see if your compiled snesDS.nds file is supposed to run in the first place. If it runs in no$GBA but not your GnM card, then there's nothing I can do. If it doesn't run in no$GBA, then either you built the file wrong or the game simply isn't compatible.

It said I need an original copy of GBA Bios and stuff like that.

DanTheManMS
June 6th, 2007, 08:46
Exactly which version are you using? The latest version from the homepage should not need the GBA BIOS at all, especially not if you're running it in DS mode. I just renamed all the BIOS files I had in the folder to double-check, and it still worked. I went and downloaded a fresh copy of the latest no$GBA and did nothing but open it and select my snesDS.nds file, and it worked.

Just download the latest version (v2.4b), double click NO$GBA.exe, and select the snesDS.nds file from the window that pops up.

Again, this is just a test to make sure that your snesDS.nds file is valid.

EDIT: ah, messing with this fresh copy, I see where you got the message. Okay, the only way to get that message is if you run snesDS.exe directly, opening up the snesDS.ds.gba file produced with no$GBA. That is not what you want to do, and that method will not work on your GnM. You need to run make_nds.bat instead, making sure you have ndstool.exe in the same directory. It will open up the snesDS.exe window, yes, but then once you've saved it as "snesDS.ds.gba" the rest of the batch file will run that .ds.gba file through ndstool to automatically create snesDS.nds for you. That is the file you try in no$GBA, and that is the file you try on your GnM.

Cybeat
June 6th, 2007, 20:15
Probably the snesds emulator itself is bad. After I tested out Acrobat Mission and Kirby's Dream Course, using .nds file that came from make_nds and ndstool, all I get is a blank screen with percentage at the top starting over and over. Think it's my emulator?

Cybeat
June 6th, 2007, 20:30
Hey, I did it! I just need the newest version of SNES_DS. Thanks for all your time and help. By the way, does your Kirby's Dream Course say copying game is illegal and the game wouldn't start? Someone told me playing Kirby's Dream Course is not a good idea.

DanTheManMS
June 6th, 2007, 21:03
You'll get that screen if you don't use the SuperDAT settings, I believe. Alternatively, you could run it through uCON64 in order to remove the copyright protection.

And I have just discovered that the latest version can indeed have SuperDAT settings applied. I was always told that the 11-27 version was the best one to use because the ones after that didn't have support for the SuperDAT, but apparently I've been wrong this whole time. =/ How strange...

Glad you got it working at least. Be sure to grab the updated snesadvance.dat file from the PocketHeaven boards before you continue compiling games, just to make sure you have the latest one.

Cybeat
June 8th, 2007, 03:58
You'll get that screen if you don't use the SuperDAT settings, I believe. Alternatively, you could run it through uCON64 in order to remove the copyright protection.

And I have just discovered that the latest version can indeed have SuperDAT settings applied. I was always told that the 11-27 version was the best one to use because the ones after that didn't have support for the SuperDAT, but apparently I've been wrong this whole time. =/ How strange...

Glad you got it working at least. Be sure to grab the updated snesadvance.dat file from the PocketHeaven boards before you continue compiling games, just to make sure you have the latest one.

Alright. But, before you leave, can you tell me how to use or where to get uCON64?

DanTheManMS
June 8th, 2007, 05:17
Googling for uCON64 will get you the download location.

For using it, open up a command shell and navigate to the directory that has both your Kirby game and the uCON64.exe file. Type
ucon64.exe -k "Kirby's Dream Course.smc"
and hit Enter and it should patch the game.

If -k doesn't work, try -f or -l (lowercase L, not a number 1)

Cybeat
June 8th, 2007, 19:11
Googling for uCON64 will get you the download location.

For using it, open up a command shell and navigate to the directory that has both your Kirby game and the uCON64.exe file. Type
and hit Enter and it should patch the game.

If -k doesn't work, try -f or -l (lowercase L, not a number 1)

I'm sorry, but you're making this sound real complicated. I'm still new with whole thing. I don't know what a command shell is.

DanTheManMS
June 8th, 2007, 20:49
Alright, then I'll try to make it simple. Put uCON64.exe and a copy of "Kirby's Dream Course.smc" on your desktop (be sure to use a copy so you still have an original version somewhere in case it fails). Go to Start - Run - type "CMD" and hit Enter. Type "cd desktop" and hit Enter to change directory to the desktop.

Then type
and hit Enter. Note that you can probably just type "kir" and then hit Tab to have it automatically complete the filename for you, to speed things up.

Then try the game again. If it doesn't work, then make another copy of the clean game onto your desktop and type
ucon64.exe -f "Kirby's Dream Course.smc"
and if that doesn't work use
ucon64.exe -l "Kirby's Dream Course.smc"

Heck, if you want to be really safe, you can try the following command, though I'm not sure if it will work correctly:
ucon64.exe -k -f -l "Kirby's Dream Course.smc"

Also note that it would probably be best to use the US version instead of the PAL one.

Hope you get it working.

Cybeat
June 9th, 2007, 05:25
Alright, then I'll try to make it simple. Put uCON64.exe and a copy of "Kirby's Dream Course.smc" on your desktop (be sure to use a copy so you still have an original version somewhere in case it fails). Go to Start - Run - type "CMD" and hit Enter. Type "cd desktop" and hit Enter to change directory to the desktop.

Then type
and hit Enter. Note that you can probably just type "kir" and then hit Tab to have it automatically complete the filename for you, to speed things up.

Then try the game again. If it doesn't work, then make another copy of the clean game onto your desktop and type
ucon64.exe -f "Kirby's Dream Course.smc"
and if that doesn't work use
ucon64.exe -l "Kirby's Dream Course.smc"

Heck, if you want to be really safe, you can try the following command, though I'm not sure if it will work correctly:
ucon64.exe -k -f -l "Kirby's Dream Course.smc"

Also note that it would probably be best to use the US version instead of the PAL one.

Hope you get it working.

Almost. When I get Kirby's Dream Course.bak, how do I convert it to .nds? SnesDS.exe can't do it.

DanTheManMS
June 9th, 2007, 05:55
The *.bak file is just a backup copy that remains unchanged. The *.smc file itself is the one that gets patched.

Cybeat
June 9th, 2007, 08:08
The *.bak file is just a backup copy that remains unchanged. The *.smc file itself is the one that gets patched.

I did it. Man, it's not worth it. Kirby's Dream Course had all sorts of glitches. I just saw clouds!

DanTheManMS
June 9th, 2007, 08:43
Then the SuperDAT settings were not applied correctly. With the proper SuperDAT settings, the actual gameplay (the most crucial part of the game) is correct.

Again, make sure you've placed http://mog123123.googlepages.com/snesadvance.dat in your SNES DS directory and try doing the game again. Actually wait, since you patched the game, it's not going to have the same CRC...

Alright, here's how you can fix that. Open up the patched game in ZSNES and quickly find the value where it says CRC32. This will disappear in a few seconds, so you may need to open it several times. Write it down somewhere. Open up the snesadvance.dat file from above in Notepad. Scroll down to the Kirby's Dream Course (U) entry. Highlight the first field (should currently be "DF8153D9") and replace it with the CRC of your patched game. Try running make_nds.bat again, making sure that there is an asterisk (*) next to the name of the game, as this indicates that it found an entry in the SuperDAT for the game.

I'm not sure why SNES DS isn't working with your clean game though, as it works fine for me with my (U) version. Perhaps you have the PAL version or something, which is causing it to screw up.

Cybeat
June 9th, 2007, 20:04
I'm guessing ZSNES is an emulator or something. Is it?

voteforpedro36
June 10th, 2007, 00:30
Yeah. http://www.zsnes.com

PC too.

Cybeat
June 10th, 2007, 20:44
I don't understand how to use ZSNES.

voteforpedro36
June 10th, 2007, 21:09
I dunno either, man.

Cybeat
June 11th, 2007, 04:12
I dunno either, man.

It's been a long time already. I should quit.

DanTheManMS
June 17th, 2007, 23:07
Really, you just need something that tells you the CRC32 checksum of the file. I merely suggested ZSNES as I thought you would already have it. If you have a hex editor, it might tell you. Otherwise just use Google to find a tool that will tell you the checksum of the file.