PDA

View Full Version : If anyone would be so kind as to help...

supermandamned
June 2nd, 2007, 13:46
I am having an odd sort of problem with Snes Station.

I am booting the usb version of the emu through ArMax off of a thumb drive.

The emu loads and I can then load any of the several roms.

The problem is that I cannot then control any of the games.

I've searched the forum. Someone's button was broken and they didn't realize. Two others asked questions similar to mine and there was never an answer given.

I've also searched tirelessly everywhere else trying to figure out what the problem is with no luck. And if one of you that is wiser than I could please take a moment to help, I'd be forever thankful.

*I have a chubby and a slim, the situation is the same with both. Using Sony and 3rd party controllers.

Again, thanks for your time!

Tesseract
June 2nd, 2007, 21:03
So... judging from the fact that you can LOAD a ROM, but not PLAY it, it sounds like the controler works up to the point that you load the game, then quits, correct?

supermandamned
June 3rd, 2007, 01:56
You are correct, sir. I really can't figure this out. And nothing I've found so far documents how to resolve this problem.

Any ideas?

Tesseract
June 3rd, 2007, 02:21
I'll fire it up next chance I get and see what happens. I have a few Ideas, but I can't test any of them at work, of course. ;)

supermandamned
June 3rd, 2007, 05:20
Thank you so much for taking the time to try and help me out! That's very cool of you.

And again, I've searched around about this a ton. It looks like a slight few have had this problem before and it seems as though it has never really been solved. Maybe an answer to this issue can finally be put out there for those who find themselves in my situation now and in the future.

To any other onlookers... I am totally a "noob" as you can see by my join. And I hope that I have not, or don't piss anyone off with my silly little question.

Thanks to all. ... Especially, Tesseract. :cool:

Tesseract
June 3rd, 2007, 05:43
Even though some may not like to admit it, we've all been noobs at SOME point or another. ;)

I just got home, so I checked to see if A) there was a controller config of any sort in the Options menu or B) if the 'Analog' light wavered at all.

No go on either...

You'd mentioned that you'd tried different controllers and different consoles, so that rules out hardware for the most part... So I guess the next question would be: which version of SNEStation are you using? I'm having no problems with 0.2.4 HDD, but if you don't have an HDD installed, this version wouldn't help much. If you're using a different version, lemme know and I can test that.

You can easily find the version number in the upper left once you start SNEStation.

Knowing which ROM you're testing would help, too.

supermandamned
June 3rd, 2007, 06:24
First I'll address one thing you mention that kind of jumped out at me. The analog light actually does fluctuate during the loading of ArMax's Media Player.

I didn't know if this mattered since I had control of the emu itself once it started.

I've tried using the 2.4 USB and the 2.4 HDD. Same situation with both. I don't have a HDD.

I've tested on several roms. Let me know if there's a specific one that might serve me better.

Also, I'm not sure what is best or recommended but I've drag and dropped all of the content to the usb. And I've tried using the Max Media Creator program to do it. Same problem both ways.

Is there something simple that I'm foolishly overlooking?

I actually thought maybe it had something to do with the memory card. Maybe the S.S. save on my memory card was screwy. So I deleted it and tried everything again to no success.

Will S.S. overwrite it's MC file or should I erase it before I try something new? Not sure if that's neccesary.

THANKS!

Tesseract
June 3rd, 2007, 07:54
First thing I'd recommend is to run the MC version from your MC, and just run the ROMs from your USB Key.

Secondly, you might be better off setting up the Independence Exploit to use with your 'chubby' PS2 and executing ELFs from something like uLoader, rather than trying to execute directly from the AR Max media player. It'll just make things MUCH easier for you in the future, and introduce less that can possibly go wrong between booting the PS2 and playing your homebrew. I REALLY don't know what effect ARMax would have on running SNEStation directly like one does with pGen.

Oh... BTW, the reason I was focusing on the Analog light is that sometimes stuff will only work if the Analog light is one way or the other. If it's on when you're in SNEStation, you should be fine ('Light on' was the case when I tested. I couldn't turn the Analog function off).

supermandamned
June 3rd, 2007, 08:27
I really appreciate your reply. I'm very eager to try something new, but since I'm not too advanced I'm looking in to how to achieve some of the things you mentioned.

I'm not too sure what I need to or how to run the MC version.

But as soon as I get some of this sorted I will post the results.

Tesseract
June 3rd, 2007, 08:33
The instructions I initially followed are on this very site. The best part about the Independence Exploit is that there's really no risk to your hardware.

It'll also make it so you can use pretty much any HDD in the PS2 with homebrew and such. It wouldn't be visible to official PS2 games, but hey... small issue overall.

Stay tuned to DCEmu... It'll become a good friend once you've unlocked your PS2!

supermandamned
June 3rd, 2007, 09:53
Tesseract,

Thank you for all of your help and support.

In the last hour or so I've done a lot of reading about my options moving forward.

It would really benefit my situation to be able to run the Snes Station on my slim ps2. I know many seem to be able to do this with only the tools and technique that I was trying to use. So I don't understand why it isn't working out for me, specifically this odd controller problem.

I'll keep messing with it and perhaps I'll get lucky. Perhaps not. I'm slowly having to come to terms with the fact that Snes Station might just never be playable to me.

You've been very generous with your time. Thanks!

Tesseract
June 3rd, 2007, 10:26
No problem at all. Again, your best bet is to stick with the 'chubby' PS2 for Homebrew on a non-modded console. It's just easier.

Glad to help where I could. I've learned a lot over the past... oh... 9 months that I've been doing this, so I'm more than happy to share what I've learned!