PDA

View Full Version : Unreleased Game: Sonic X-treme (NiGHTS Version) Video

Mark30001
June 3rd, 2007, 21:26
http://www.youtube.com/v/VW_Pd-PTAtM

Via ASSEMblergames (http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13909)

ASSEMbler of ASSEMblergames (http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13909) has released video footage of the unreleased Sega Saturn game: Sonic X-treme. This version is running off the NiGHTS game engine, which was used by Sega of America (http://www.sega.com/home.php?hsid=235711).

This is a video of the concept "nights" version of Sonic Xtreme for Sega
Saturn. Looking to produce a concept for a 3D sonic, a Sega USA team
used the nights engine to produce a concept for demonstration. Upon
hearing about the use of their engine, the Japanese team had a fit and
forced the adoption of a different engine, the so called "fish eye" version
that was later canceled as unworkable.

This bickering lead to the cancellation of the only "Killer App" for Sega Saturn.

This video is from the only copy of the game in existence, which sold for
nearly $3000 in 2006.

JKKDARK
June 3rd, 2007, 21:47
the cancellation of the only "Killer App" for Sega Saturn

He forgot Grandia, Panzer Dragoon, Daytona USA, Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, NiGHTS, Shining Force, Sakura Taisen, Virtua fighter and other great series on Saturn

Elven6
June 3rd, 2007, 21:51
The Saturn had a lot of great games out on it, if some countrys don't like it that dosen't mean their not great.

VampDude
June 3rd, 2007, 21:56
The game looks cool, but doesn't look upto much considering it looks almost identical to Sonic Into Dreams (a bonus game on Christmas NiGHTS Into Dreams) and not too far off.

mat_dizzy
June 3rd, 2007, 22:22
This game would have changed how sega ended up i think. Just think Super Mario 64 batteling it out with Sonic Xtreme! And only 3000 dollars, oh my god thats cheap for a only copy of a SONIC game, cmon ladies and gents but we're not talking about dinnerdash here are we :P

Alexios I Komnenos
June 3rd, 2007, 22:59
He forgot Grandia, Panzer Dragoon, Daytona USA, Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, NiGHTS, Shining Force, Sakura Taisen, Virtua fighter and other great series on Saturn

Those are great games in their own right but I wouldn't consider them "killer apps."

They just didn't have the brand power of Sonic. Just try and remember how popular Sonic was in the 90s.

Sonicboy 101
June 3rd, 2007, 23:01
Those are great games in their own right but I wouldn't consider them "killer apps."

They just didn't have the brand power of Sonic. Just try and remember how popular Sonic was in the 90s.

It was very popular.
Sonic will never die. :)

Shadowblind
June 3rd, 2007, 23:40
Aye, I own comics 26-136, and a misc. amount after that. I was a fan since '93 :D

Elven6
June 4th, 2007, 00:06
Shenmue could have aswell, since it showed off the Saturns power.

Graxer0419
June 4th, 2007, 00:42
Shenmue could have aswell, since it showed off the Saturns power.

Shenmue was for the Dreamcast not Saturn!

JKKDARK
June 4th, 2007, 00:52
Shenmue was for the Dreamcast not Saturn!

Shenmue was developed for Saturn, but later moved to Dreamcast.

There's a tech demo uploaded on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE2smkBf5kg

VampDude
June 5th, 2007, 02:26

The Dreamcast version was re-textured, I would love to add the unfinished Saturn Shenmue to my collection thou that would never be possible! :(

JKKDARK
June 5th, 2007, 02:43
Yes, also you can see in the end of the video a scene that wasn't released for Dreamcast

VampDude
June 5th, 2007, 04:00
Yes, also you can see in the end of the video a scene that wasn't released for Dreamcast

I think because Shenmue is a Trilogy and all 3 were possibly made for the Saturn, but only 2 have ever surfaced (on the Dreamcast, and the 2nd re-released on Xbox)...

...Shenmue3 is going to be on Xbox360! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/uEZ3Ksk2428

JKKDARK
June 5th, 2007, 04:26
I think because Shenmue is a Trilogy and all 3 were possibly made for the Saturn, but only 2 have ever surfaced (on the Dreamcast, and the 2nd re-released on Xbox)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/uEZ3Ksk2428

The video you posted is fake

I don't remember the link, but Suzuki said he wanted to make 15+ chapters on Dreamcast, sadly it got few chapters.

Shadowblind
June 5th, 2007, 04:58
Now I want a dreamcast. Thanks alot guys, ya jerks.

Dull Blade
June 5th, 2007, 05:05

I would consider Virtua Fighter a killer app, that game was wwwaaayyyy more popular in japan than in America. It was the first 3d fighter (minuse some boxing game, but thats more of a different genre). The game in arcades was already rediculosly popular and to think you could own your own copy.

Shinebi
June 5th, 2007, 10:11

Please be it so!... This'll make me buy a 360!!!!
That trailer vagely reminded me of Shenmue online (the rooftop fights).

VampDude
June 5th, 2007, 14:25
The video you posted is fake

I don't remember the link, but Suzuki said he wanted to make 15+ chapters on Dreamcast, sadly it got few chapters.

15 Chapters? Each game a chapter of it's own is a bit much, thou the first 2 were good. I thought Ryo's journey would've been shorter, but if Sega can keep Shenmue going with another 13 or so more to make the 15 then they should because it would compete with other on going games like Final Fantasy...

...Also I want that video to be real, cause when I get an Xbox360 that would be the one game I would be sure to buy. Without Shenmue there are no "real" good games! :(

Now I want a dreamcast. Thanks alot guys, ya jerks.

Well get a Dreamcast then! :rofl:

Game_Collector
June 18th, 2007, 05:21
I would consider Virtua Fighter a killer app, that game was wwwaaayyyy more popular in japan than in America. It was the first 3d fighter (minuse some boxing game, but thats more of a different genre). The game in arcades was already rediculosly popular and to think you could own your own copy.

You are exactly right. Virtua Fighter is what made the Saturn's release in Japan leave the Playstation in the dust and helped it sell over a million systems in just 2 months. On release it sold 500,000 and VF sold 1:1 with the system. VF2 was even bigger though, shops all over Japan opened up at midnight on 1 December 1995 when that game was released and there were thousands of people lining up to buy it. It was as big as a release of a Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest game at the time. It is quite sad tyo see in contrast that VF5 only sold a lousy 35,000 copies on the PS3 :(

But back to topic, I will never forgive Sonic Team for not making a Sonic game on the Saturn, THEY could have used their Nights engine themselves and made a good game. The bonus part of Sonic Jam makes me think of what might have been.... Stupid Sonic Team! Now they have killed Sonic off for good with that pathetic excuse for a game on the 360 and PS3. It was supposed to be Sonic's rebirth after years of subpar US made games and instead it was like a final nail in the coffin. R.I.P dear Sonic, you will be sorely missed but I will never forget that day back in July 1991 when I fell in love with your game for the first time.

As for Shenmue's fate, we can only hope that with the success of Ryu ga Gotoku in Japan (which showed Shenmue like games can be a success) that Sega will finally allow Suzuki Yu to finish his masterpiece up once and for all. Now that systems as powerful as the 360 and PS3 exist, his vision can surely be fullfilled!

Garca
June 19th, 2007, 16:21

"This video has been removed due to terms of use violation."

.....So what was it about? and why was it takin down? goddamn Gootube.

JKKDARK
June 19th, 2007, 16:59
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiSgX5lDKqU

This one, Garca ;)

sonic cd
January 14th, 2008, 05:38
can you someone make the beta in two the full game or release the game on xbox 360

JKKDARK
January 14th, 2008, 05:41
We need the source code for porting the game.

Sonicboy 101
January 14th, 2008, 16:03
This prototype has since been released. You can play it if you can find it.

Christuserloeser
January 14th, 2008, 17:55
This game would have changed how sega ended up i think. Just think Super Mario 64 batteling it out with Sonic Xtreme!

You can't be serious. For a Sonic game this looks horrible. I wouldn't want to play that. A 2D Sonic for Saturn by Sonic Team would have been nice; but something like that in 3D... without approval by Naka ? - Imagine Nintendo would have done that with Miyamoto's brands...

Sega was doomed by releasing SOA's 32x. That's where they started to loose their money and their reputation. Not releasing the big Japanese Saturn games in the west and dozens of below average Sonic games didn't help either.

F2bnp
January 20th, 2008, 17:01
You're wrong.This looks nice considering it to be just a PRE alpha build.You can't judge a game before it's even released!I believe that if this was completed and released it MIGHT have changed the Saturn's life cycle and that's why it's sad :(

JKKDARK
January 20th, 2008, 18:06
You're wrong.This looks nice considering it to be just a PRE alpha build.You can't judge a game before it's even released!I believe that if this was completed and released it MIGHT have changed the Saturn's life cycle and that's why it's sad :(

I don't agree. Nights is considered a masterpiece and it failed commercially.

F2bnp
January 21st, 2008, 06:44
Well anyway we are arguing about a console that died 10 years ago :P Oh and well,I never really liked NiGHTS actually and I don't know why... :S

Triv1um
January 21st, 2008, 13:41
Well anyway we are arguing about a console that died 10 years ago :P Oh and well,I never really liked NiGHTS actually and I don't know why... :S

Im a saturn fan, and actually wasnt a big fan of NiGHTS.

F2bnp
January 21st, 2008, 15:09
I sold my Saturn some years ago sadly enough :(
Yeah with all my games!Not that I had many,but know I want to have one.I was looking for a Saturn when I came across one on a store for about 15 euro with 2 controllers and the store also sold games for about 2 euro each.I think I'm going for it ;)

Eviltaco64
January 21st, 2008, 19:41
I have that Sonic Xtreme Alpha game. It works in SSF. I can point anyone in the direction of the download link.

VampDude
January 23rd, 2008, 01:43
I have that Sonic Xtreme Alpha game. It works in SSF. I can point anyone in the direction of the download link.

On this site that will be against the sites rules.

THE#1SonicFan
February 20th, 2008, 05:02
Well technically since it was never for sale. It's not illegal to provide a link for the download. I have it as well. For just a demo that has nothing to do, I was quite pleased with it over all anyways. It felt like it was running 60 fps. And if it was, that was quite impressive. With Saturn Graphics like that with that super smooth framerate. It would have kicked ass if it had launched. Would have been better if it was rendering all of that plus rendering it at the Saturn's max resolution. Now that would have been the shit. I prefer to run it on my saturn because SSF's resolution is shotty. I won't play saturn games on my pc till SSF comes out with a version that renders saturn games in HD. Till then, I will only play them on my tv.

Sonicdude1995
November 14th, 2008, 01:08
cool! i think i wanna go & try my sonic into dreams on hearing u all!