PDA

View Full Version : R4 Emulation

Malumvolo
June 3rd, 2007, 22:13
I just ordered an R4 DS a few days ago, it should be here any day now...

I read in a review that certain emulators and applications wont run on the R4 for some reason. Though it did say that it has almost perfect launches of .nds roms.

Do you know if this is true?

DanTheManMS
June 4th, 2007, 02:05
SnezziDS, an SNES emulator for the DS, will not run on any device that doesn't have GBA compatibility, so only a few slot-2 cards can run it. However, as SNEmulDS is based on the SnezziDS CPU core and runs on all devices with DLDI support, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The best GBC emulator for the GBA or DS at the moment is Goomba Color, which runs on the GBA only, so you won't be able to launch it on your R4. The emulator Lameboy will run however, but it doesn't have sound.

For SMS emulation, you can use DSMasterPlus, though I've heard that the SMS emulators for the GBA are a bit better. I'm not sure about this point however.

That's all I can think of.

Malumvolo
June 6th, 2007, 05:08
Oops, I misread.

I didnt mean just emulators, I ment most homebrew apps.

The Review I read says that Homebrew Apps with more files than just the .nds file cant be used with the R4. Is this true, and is there a way around it if so?

DanTheManMS
June 6th, 2007, 05:14
Nah, the R4 has had a DLDI file available for a long time now, so most homebrew that accesses the filesystem will work as long as it's been compiled fairly recently. Older homebrew that accesses the filesystem but doesn't have DLDI support probably won't work though.

Malumvolo
June 6th, 2007, 17:47
Thanks, this helps a lot since my R4 is supposed to arrive here today.