PDA

View Full Version : why dont they make some original franchises on the psp

Strangler
June 5th, 2007, 07:23
the only one i can think of are exit and loco roco that havent been ported to other platforms and arent knockoffs of ps2 games or franchises. I mean metal gear and daxter and all that we have seen before better on the psp, so why not make an original franchise like crash was back in the ps1 days just for the psp?

bah
June 5th, 2007, 10:01
They think a known franchise is 'safer money' and possibly to save money by sharing assets I assume.

PSP versions are normally just scaled down home console ports, they can probably just reduce the quality of a lot of textures etc and reuse them along with a lot of the game code.

That would be my guess anyway.

Strangler
June 5th, 2007, 10:03
but most of those apperently arent selling well anyway.

bah
June 5th, 2007, 10:08
Very few if any games on the PSP have really sold that well.

I didnt say it was safer money, just that publishers think is it :)

jamotto
June 5th, 2007, 10:24
Because handhelds almost never get an exclusive franchise, call it tradition.

Strangler
June 5th, 2007, 21:55
warioland, trauma center, pokemon, tamagotchi, nintendogs, etc.

Man
June 5th, 2007, 22:59
Thise are definitaly not handheld exclusive titles ^^^ but i think that the PSP needs a software revival, like a new GT, or some hard hitting titles, Final Fantasy: Crisis Core ?

Strangler
June 6th, 2007, 06:06
well pokemon and nintendogs definetly are. I mean the only pokemon onc onsoles they amde were spinoffs and in 3d and pretty much all failed.

Tesseract
June 7th, 2007, 01:04
Untold Legends was actually similar in that it was an original IP for the PSP that was later ported to the PS3 in a full-on sequel.

I have to say, though, that MGS:PO deserves some credit for how a port SHOULD be. New story with some perks that cater to the hardware itself. The niftiness of the WiFi hotspot interaction isn't something that can be easily duplicated on a console.

The Best portable games are going to be ones that you can play for a few minutes at a time, use some specific quirks of the console, and most importantly, aren't complete crap otherwise.

Pokemon is a good example of this. You can save anywhere, making a short session possible. EVERY portable Pokemon game has taken advantage of (or in some cases introduced) new hardware. The Link Cable, the GB Printer, the GBA WiFi adaptor, and of course Diamond/Pearl has full-fledged VoIP capability.

A PSP game needs to play to strengths. The new camera, the WiFi capability built in, the ability to uplink to the PS2/PS3, Music, Photos and Videos stored on the memory stick.... There's a LOT of untapped gold in that there beastie, and once it's unleashed, the DS will find it hard to keep up with its one-trick pony.

Cloud_35
June 7th, 2007, 01:57
What about Crush, Dead Head Fred, Rengoku, PQ, Jeanne D' Arc, Coded Arms, Exit.........................

Tesseract
June 7th, 2007, 02:27
PQ is TECHNICALLY a sequel to IQ for the PSX.

Either way... I knew I'd left some out. I didn't wanna list ALL of them, just examples for the sake of keeping the point short ;)

weirdelf
June 7th, 2007, 02:38
Untold Legends was actually similar in that it was an original IP for the PSP that was later ported to the PS3 in a full-on sequel.

I have to say, though, that MGS:PO deserves some credit for how a port SHOULD be. New story with some perks that cater to the hardware itself. The niftiness of the WiFi hotspot interaction isn't something that can be easily duplicated on a console.

The Best portable games are going to be ones that you can play for a few minutes at a time, use some specific quirks of the console, and most importantly, aren't complete crap otherwise.

Pokemon is a good example of this. You can save anywhere, making a short session possible. EVERY portable Pokemon game has taken advantage of (or in some cases introduced) new hardware. The Link Cable, the GB Printer, the GBA WiFi adaptor, and of course Diamond/Pearl has full-fledged VoIP capability.

A PSP game needs to play to strengths. The new camera, the WiFi capability built in, the ability to uplink to the PS2/PS3, Music, Photos and Videos stored on the memory stick.... There's a LOT of untapped gold in that there beastie, and once it's unleashed, the DS will find it hard to keep up with its one-trick pony.
I don't know, I find it pisses me off when to play a highly anticipated game to it's full extent I have to keep spending. It's just a gimmick for sony, nintendo, microsoft etc. to make money.

Tesseract
June 7th, 2007, 02:54
MGS has always done it well. I remember playing the original on the PSX. I didn't even know there were quirks that took advantage of a Dual Shock controller until I played it again years later.

The main point is that there are LOTS of things built right in to the PSP that could be used to much more effectiveness than they are now. No extra things to buy or anything.

Though I'm SURE I would have done better with LocoRoco if there was a motion sensor. ;)

jamotto
June 7th, 2007, 10:08
well pokemon and nintendogs definetly are. I mean the only pokemon onc onsoles they amde were spinoffs and in 3d and pretty much all failed.

Well you can then cross off pokemon has it has several games on the N64, Gamecube and Wii. As for nintendogs, that's more of a ripoff than a orignal game.

Tesseract
June 7th, 2007, 10:25
Right, but the Pokemon series STARTED on a handheld. The N64, GameCube and Wii incarnations (with the exception of Colosseum and XD) are pretty much just.... well... Colosseums.

jamotto
June 7th, 2007, 10:53
You would be correct, it did start with the gameboy.

There is one more game Hey You, Pikachu! that took advantage of the voice recognition feature of the N64. The game I think is mostly forgotten, though many of it's key ideas ended up in nintendogs.

Strangler
June 7th, 2007, 10:56
the psp is exactly whats wrong with video games today, game companies including sony jsut care about making money and not about the quality of the product, they arent willing to put the time and effort into making a good and original game, and port it to as many systems as possible. Nintendo is the last real video game company out there. Here is an article explaining how unqiue each zelda game they make is and how the ds zelda game will draw on the strwenghs on the ds and wont be able to be proted to anything else (unlike virtually every psp game is in danegr of being ported including god fo war):
http://www.thewiire.com/features/198/1/A_Link_to_the_Past_A_Link_for_the_Future

heck and even if they could port it to the wii or to the virtual console unlike sony they still wouldnt do it cause its a better company. Just look at what sony is doing with syphon filter, its own product. Only the new one wil be psp exclusive and probably only for awhile, now compare how many ps2 games are exclusive compared to psp ones. I mean they even ported loco roco to a freaking cell phone.