PDA

View Full Version : IR Port

Git-R-Done
June 7th, 2005, 01:33
Is there any use for the IR port on the psp?

shadowprophet
June 7th, 2005, 02:08
hi :) uhh im not 100 % sure .. ohh the heck with it , im 100 % sure its for multiplayer games really hard to play a multiplayer game , or log into a hotspot w/out it, what i really want is for some of theses state of the art homebrew developers to make more use of it, i would really like to see file shareing between two psp,s i know i have a lot of things of mine, that my friends want and to get those things on theres i have to invite them over and copy it manualy ,, it woould just be the bombdigity of fileshareing where more possible,

Cap'n 1time
June 7th, 2005, 02:34
hi :) uhh im not 100 % sure .. ohh the heck with it , im 100 % sure its for multiplayer games really hard to play a multiplayer game , or log into a hotspot w/out it, what i really want is for some of theses state of the art homebrew developers to make more use of it, i would really like to see file shareing between two psp,s i know i have a lot of things of mine, that my friends want and to get those things on theres i have to invite them over and copy it manualy ,, it woould just be the bombdigity of fileshareing where more possible,

this is a rare moment when I can use this, and im savoring it.

phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hht.

the IR port is certainly not for multiplayer gaming. the wireless card that supports 802.11b is. The IR port is for one thing, and thats TV remotes.

as for sharing files over it... do you have any idea how long it would take to transfer anything over meg in file size through IR?!

Git-R-Done
June 7th, 2005, 02:40
That is what I thought.
Just like Pda's

shadowprophet
June 7th, 2005, 04:54
hmm well that is a bummer 802.11 b .. p/s yeah that would take a while i suppose ,, however , fileshareing is still necessary ,, even with that slow speed shareing pics would still be possible. . and might i add to that that 802.11 b isnt as slow as you would think , 802.11 b isnt at all like 802.11 kb. thats almost a meg per seconed dude, *bows

shadowprophet knows his shitake mushrooms :P

shadowprophet
June 7th, 2005, 05:18
wouldnt it be nice if somone made a homebrew progie that let you control devices around the home with your psp,, yeah that would be the shiznit too,, but i am still inclined to believe there is another reason for the ir, however you are right about the ir not being for multiplay gameing, i checked in the manual.. but i still want file shareing . and possible custom networ setups for lan networks .. in ultra short i want somone in the homebrew scene to be focusing on makeing the psp a fully functional palmtop pc, . :D

btw has anybody ever seen chrono crusade, i just seen ep one, it reminds me of wild arms tv a lot, its pretty kewl

Cap'n 1time
June 7th, 2005, 06:00
hmm well that is a bummer 802.11 b .. p/s yeah that would take a while i suppose ,, however , fileshareing is still necessary ,, even with that slow speed shareing pics would still be possible. . and might i add to that that 802.11 b isnt as slow as you would think , 802.11 b isnt at all like 802.11 kb. thats almost a meg per seconed dude, *bows

shadowprophet knows his shitake mushrooms :P

forgive me for saying.. that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard. do your homework boy....

IR or infered is as old as time. it has NOTHING to do with internet connectivity. While data can be transmitted through IR, but it isnt resonable. now than a WIFI 802.11B card does not travel at 802.11 kb.. thats insane... 802.11 is a standard - blah blah blah look it up on the internet.

anyways, the 802.11 hardware WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE IR PORT. generally can get a connection of 11 megs a second, while 802.11 G gets somthing like 33 megs a second. i dont know the numbers, i hate wifi as I have a 2.4 ghz phone- which any school boy would know, conflicts with any of the current WIFI standards.

Now back to the IR port... every time you click a button on your tv remot your sending a small signal that triggers a command on yout TV. and thoes signals arent to be measured in anything as vast as a simple kb.

I supose you could say the IR port is completely useless... perhapes some homebrewer could learn to manupulate it and turn it into a remote controll for a tv?

nexis2600
June 7th, 2005, 06:06
my god. Does this guy even have a brain or know what the hell wifi is? Jesus christ shadowprophet, Go google search stuff before you reply.

* head about to explode over the ignorance *

Cap'n 1time
June 7th, 2005, 06:11
well.. actually IR could travel at up to like 200 kb - thats the fastest I've heard of on a laptop at least... but it would still have to be in the line of sight.. so its still 100% useless.

shadowprophet
June 7th, 2005, 06:19
now look we determined, that the ir port and the wireless connectivity where seperate, i had a momentary brain fart, lets just all take a chill pill and meditate on this, im guilty of assumiing that the ir port and yes im awear of what it is , was a shared device that the window in which the ir port sends data through was also shared by the wifi seeing as it seems logical , now i admit, thats a conclusion i drew upon myself , still seemd logical at the time :p but seriously guys . does somone, have to be mr correct and proper all the time :p ,, if im wrong, then educate me im a quick learner :D , , i was just trying to help somone out , i mean why does somone have to know everything about everything just to post a reply, *bows in repentence, cut the prophet some slack :rolleyes:

shadowprophet
June 7th, 2005, 06:59
i was wondering, if that was the maximum that the wifi can distrubute , or if its supressed for some reason , i dont see why it would be supressed , but lets just say in an as if sutuation, that when developers get better at cracking the blasted thing, that theres options, that they might be able to alter, like over clocking, quad liner ,, you know, system tweeks,. i know those things can be overclocked, but is the wifi at its max , , if it could be overclocked/ pushed faster i dont even, know if it can , but if it could, would it cause data corution ? there is endless potential in the psp, and with every day homebrew developers are makeing that potential grow even more, .. just wondering , , :)

Cap'n 1time
June 7th, 2005, 15:24
uh.. read what i said the first time. 802.11 B receieves data at about 11 megs a second and 802.11 G revieves at somthing like 33 megs a second.. thats plenty fast.

the 802.11 numbers you see have nothing to do with the download and upload abilities, 802.11 is just a standard and B and G are like more specific standards that refer to the wave length frequency they travel on... I think.

Cap'n 1time
June 7th, 2005, 15:28
this link explains in detail.

http://www.answers.com/802.11

and here is some stuff that says IR travels at like 120 kbs.. but still requires a line of sight

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=1512&dekey=IrDA&gwp=8&curtab=1512_1

Zeno
June 7th, 2005, 19:07
It was announced that the PSP could be used as a controller for the coming soon PS3 at E3.

Vimes220
June 8th, 2005, 00:58
It was announced that the PSP could be used as a controller for the coming soon PS3 at E3.

can't believe it took till page 2 to get that out!!!!:eek:

That is the main reason that i think the PSP has an IR port although it means that a standard controller would have fewer buttons (or just that the PSP would have fewer buttons when used as a controller

Wownicesn
June 8th, 2005, 02:26
The author of the following gives you the plans to attach an IR reciever/transmitter onto supporting motherboards
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article.php?id=86

The author mentions that through IR you can connect to cellphones and notebooks, but what about PSP's? Since the PSP already has 802.11b i really dont see the use of the ir except this :P

michael_dack_2005
April 19th, 2006, 17:24
Before i say anything, i would like to say that i am a noob

Fanjita said that IR is now available, but i can not find a program that works, is it just me being dense or is there a unknown program out there?

Cap'n 1time
April 19th, 2006, 19:10
wow. this topic is almost a year old. Man i was kind of rude to shadow prophet XD. as for your question. dunno. just thought i would type somthing :)

Shaunhoare
April 19th, 2006, 19:33
damn you spam fool!

anywho is there any use for the IR yet... im sure I saw something about controling a tv with it...

blocka
April 26th, 2006, 08:29
they need to come up witha program that will "learn" IR signals then reproduce them. This would be very fun for auto car lock beeper things sence i think they use IR. (Think there was a 2600 article about it "How to unlcok a BMW with a universal remote.

Alemix
April 26th, 2006, 09:31
Use IR Shell. You can download remote codes and change the "remote's" button config too. I haven't seen one that learns yet though. Also, it only works on 1.5 (To my knowledge)

michael_dack_2005
April 29th, 2006, 18:04
I think this works for the psp but not sure as i have never tried it :)