PDA

View Full Version : why doesnt squareenix

Strangler
June 6th, 2007, 06:08
port games as good as ff 10 or make new ones that good for the psp instead of the crap no one cares about anymore or beat already like star ocean or ff1/ff2? I mean the only people that can enjoy ff10 are people with a ps2 unlike the others they keep making for the psp based on ps1 tech.

JKKDARK
June 6th, 2007, 14:55
because they will not get enough money working these games on psp

Tesseract
June 6th, 2007, 21:13
First off, FF 10 barely fit onto a DVD, much less compressing it to a UMD. That's not too likely to happen. Even redoing FF 7-9 would require 2 UMD's or so.

My main problems with the re-releases of FF1 and 2 for the PSP are...

a) They fit both onto a single CD for the PSX, why separate UMDs for the PSP version?

b) They've got a 3-d graphics engine in place for the FF III DS remake, why not just apply it to FF 1 and 2?

JKKDARK
June 7th, 2007, 00:27
a) They fit both onto a single CD for the PSX, why separate UMDs for the PSP version?
Was the PlayStation version a remake or a port?

weirdelf
June 7th, 2007, 00:36
Port

Tesseract
June 7th, 2007, 00:53
The PSX version was a remake. It had the higher-quality sprites and music that were later in Dawn of Souls.

Hell, come to think of it, Dawn of Souls was 1&2 on a single GBA cart!

weirdelf
June 7th, 2007, 02:34
The psp versio has vastly updated graphics though.

Cloud_35
June 7th, 2007, 02:46
Final Fantasy X sucks. The name sounds cool though (Final Fantasy EKS:D). Want a real FF? Play FF6 now that's something that has to be ported :)

Balthasar00
June 7th, 2007, 06:06
Ps1 version of FF 1 & 2 were obviously remakes.

They agreed to release FF 1, 2 and 3 on the Wonderswan Color even if that handled future was incertain.. Also, sony helped so much SE in the past.. that quite cheap of them to release only thoses re-remake on psp.

They've got a 3-d graphics engine in place for the FF III DS remake, why not just apply it to FF 1 and 2?

Ya, and PSP hardware could give so much more out of it. There is certainly a exclusivity issue with nintendo for the Matrix Engine.

Tesseract
June 7th, 2007, 08:34
Final Fantasy X sucks. The name sounds cool though (Final Fantasy EKS:D). Want a real FF? Play FF6 now that's something that has to be ported :)

They did. It was re-released on the GBA not too long ago.

Here's my Squeenix dream:

They get done with the White Engine and FFXIII. They say to themselves: "We have this wonderful graphics engine now that we've designed to be the basis for a bunch of our new games. Why don't we re-release all of the previous Final Fantasy games on one or two Blu-Ray discs using the new White engine?"

.... well.... A man can DREAM, can't he?

Strangler
June 7th, 2007, 11:02
First off, FF 10 barely fit onto a DVD, much less compressing it to a UMD. That's not too likely to happen. Even redoing FF 7-9 would require 2 UMD's or so.

My main problems with the re-releases of FF1 and 2 for the PSP are...

b) They've got a 3-d graphics engine in place for the FF III DS remake, why not just apply it to FF 1 and 2?

thats not true, they are even doing ff7 on the ds or at least it was a rumor so im pretty sure if they cna fit it on a ds cart they cna fit any of them on the psp umd. Infact they have compression and can take away the cut scenes and replace them with text.

Strangler
June 7th, 2007, 11:06

why do u think psp games sell so badly depsite the good hardware sales?

Tesseract
June 7th, 2007, 11:58
thats not true, they are even doing ff7 on the ds or at least it was a rumor so im pretty sure if they cna fit it on a ds cart they cna fit any of them on the psp umd. Infact they have compression and can take away the cut scenes and replace them with text.

First off, the FF7 remake rumor has been debunked by Squeenix themselves a number of times.

Secondly, while you COULD take that stuff out, it would seriously damage the sales of the game. Who'd buy a crippled remake? FF7-9 would be fairly easy to improve on graphically with the PSP, cutscenes and all. 10 and 12 would not. (I have dreams of taking FFXI with me on my PSP, but that'll NEVER happen.)

The GBA and DS remakes have all been VAST improvements on the originals. Squeenix may think with their wallets sometimes, but they're not stupid.

Heh... Likely because of folks like us who see more potential in a console than simply commercial releases. Homebrew aside, though, I use my PSP for music almost constantly (At work... In my car...) and I think a lot of folks use it for its media capabilities as well. Keep in mind that there are a LOT of titles for the PSP. It's just that none of them have been phenomenal blockbusters.

All that aside, though... 10 second-rate titles selling 200,000 units will put up the same numbers as a single 2-million selling game.

Strangler
June 7th, 2007, 13:48
but alot of psp games are just watered down ps2 games anyway like prince of persia, so why dont they just water down ff10 for it?

JKKDARK
June 7th, 2007, 14:55

As Tesseract said, people don't use the PSP only for games. And all the good software is on the DS.

Tesseract
June 7th, 2007, 20:58
but alot of psp games are just watered down ps2 games anyway like prince of persia, so why dont they just water down ff10 for it?

Heh. I don't think I'm realy gonna convince you on this one. Suffice to say that it's probably not in any sort of short-term or long term plan.

Remaking 1-6 was a good Idea because the gaming industry then wasn't NEARLY as popular as it is now. Most people who own PSPs have played FF10... Lots of people who own PSPs weren't even ALIVE when FF1 was initially released 20 years ago. They're re-telling classic stories to a new generation that hadn't heard them before.

Besides... I'd rather hear some new tales from Squeenix. They're excellent storytellers. That's why they're so popular today! :)