PDA

View Full Version : emulation question

hawkeye_07
June 6th, 2007, 13:26
Hi i just found out about snes station and anyway i heard there was other ones like
mega drive, n64, nes, etc. Is this true and how do i get them

Tesseract
June 6th, 2007, 20:03
Mega Drive (Genesis) - PGen
N64 - None exists
NES - ImbNES

They're all in a list on the main PS2 News page on DCEmu ;)

hawkeye_07
June 6th, 2007, 22:31
so there aint one for the n64 - what a shame, do u think there ever will be one

Tesseract
June 6th, 2007, 23:55
Nope. Too much raw power required, from what I gather. Given that there's one for the PSP and not the PS2, though, I wonder what the core differences are that make it possible on the PSP and not the PS2.

Probably comes down to the same reason that lots of coders seem to have abandoned the PS2 in favor of the PSP. PSP's just easier to code for.

hawkeye_07
June 7th, 2007, 00:09
Shame really, was looking forward to it, oh well thanks for the info anyways u been a big help

Tesseract
June 7th, 2007, 01:29
I try! There's lots of great things other than emulation you can do with a 'liberated' PS2. the SMS Media player is quite good, and I use it often to stream video over my home network to my TV.

hawkeye_07
June 7th, 2007, 09:15
what do u mean - so what else can u do other than emulation

Tesseract
June 7th, 2007, 09:29
Well, there's SMS Media Player which can stream MP3s and AVIs. You can back up your gamesaves on a non-SONY hard Drive if you plop one in.

HD loader is also handy if you're like me and travel alot with your PS2. Cuts down on the number of discs I have to haul around, saves precious life on the optical drive, and saves wear and tear on my discs. Again, you have to have an HDD installed.

Really, the Media player's the biggest non-emulation thing on my list. I suppose if I ever get a PS3, that will take over, but God only knows when THAT'LL be. :P

hawkeye_07
June 7th, 2007, 17:26
i cant get that imbnes to work i dunno wot im doing wrong

Tesseract
June 7th, 2007, 20:00
If I remember correctly, you have to compile your ROMs into a single file that imbNES reads. I believe there's a tool to do this in with the archive you download.

If your problem's getting the thing started in the first place, you'll need to describe what happens a little better. ;)

hawkeye_07
June 7th, 2007, 20:18
well i do what it says all roms are in one folder, but when i put it in disc it says not a valid ps2 disc - i hear it dont work sometimes with some methods cos its made for psx - does it work with swap magic

Tesseract
June 7th, 2007, 22:21
Ah, there's the problem. Unless you have a Modchip or Swap Trick, your PS2 won't read the files on that disc.

imbNES works perfectly fine off of the HDD, and I would suspect it'd be fine on a USB Flash drive, though I haven't personally tried that. Worse case, you bundle in a few of your favorites and run it from your MemCard.

hawkeye_07
June 7th, 2007, 22:32
by swap trick do u mean something like swap magic - if that dont work how do i do the memory card thing u mentined

Tesseract
June 8th, 2007, 00:42
Well, if you're already running uLaunchELF via the Independence Exploit, it's as simple as copying the files into a folder on your MemCard and running the executable. You'd need the help of a USB Flash Drive or a Network connection and RadHostClient to accomplish this.

Truthfully, you'd be well off to dump $10-20 on a cheap USB Flash drive. It'll make your life MUCH easier, especially if you haven't a HDD or a Network Adaptor.

hawkeye_07
June 8th, 2007, 09:02
Right well im a bit of a dumbass so i understod bout half of that . So swap magic wont do it then, no.

How odo i create files.txt for the psms1.2 ?