PDA

View Full Version : M3 vs. R4

parkermauney
June 6th, 2007, 23:49
I've been on the psp scene for quite a while, but am looking at a homebrew/b**kup solution for my ds. (Got it yesterday). I've decided on either the R4 or M3, which look exactly the same. Are there any differences between the two? And on the FAQ, it said I would still need a passcard, but it's pretty outdated. Do I?

DanTheManMS
June 7th, 2007, 00:11
There are several different products that carry the name "M3". There are the slot-2 M3 Perfect and M3 Pro products, but I believe what you are looking at is the slot-1 M3 Simply.

The R4 and M3 Simply are indeed identical. In fact, with the first batches of each, you could convert between R4 and M3 Simply by simply soldering or desoldering a few pads on the PCB. That has been fixed with later batches, but the point remains that they are the same.

The R4 is the original product, which the M3 Team buys and rebrands as the M3 Simply. This means that R4 updates come out sooner than M3 Simply ones. Also, the R4 is usually cheaper than the M3 Simply, but not always.

If you're looking for a good seller, I'd recommend RealHotStuff. Their prices are fairly competitive, and they have cheap shipping within the US, and you usually receive your package in about 3 days even with the standard USPS shipping.

Nearly all slot-1 devices have built-in passcard capability, so you don't need to worry about that. The only one that doesn't is the DSLINK (not to be confused with the DSLinker).

parkermauney
June 7th, 2007, 00:56
Alright, thanks man! I'm kind of a n00b at this stuff. :p Just got to find 70$ and I'm getting a M3 Simply.

XioN980
June 7th, 2007, 01:20
$70!!!!

for just the simply!!

How bout mine for $48 with postage!!

Price could be higher depending on postage but pm me for details, 70 bucks indeed

spik3yb0i
June 7th, 2007, 19:24
get the M3

Quay Cur
June 8th, 2007, 04:55
take a look over here:

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.604

DealExtreme has some of the best prices I've seen anywhere. I just picked up the R4/1GB Kingston combo for $47 including postage. I've read that they can take a week or two to get it to you, though, as it comes from China.

Oh, microSD cards made in Japan seem to have the best compatibility so far. DealExtreme has Japanese Kingston cards.

GBAtemp has some great reviews of the R4 and M3DSS among many others:

http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?dynamic=8

bandit
June 8th, 2007, 05:41
I have reviews for M3 Simply, R4DS and a bunch of other SLOT-1 devices. Along with the reviews are links to sites to purchase.

Malumvolo
June 8th, 2007, 08:17
I believe the R4 has the most updated firmware.

gamemasterjd
June 27th, 2007, 20:05
r4 39.99 + free AIR MAIL. 1-2 day shipping.
Vulcanzone.com

Falseblue
June 28th, 2007, 03:50
I would get which ever is cheaper. I am recieving an R4 in the mail soon.

linkenski
June 28th, 2007, 15:29
Just recieved my r4 from dealextreme! it's good. i like R4 best because of the most updated firmware. well, m3 simply gets a new FW version the day right after R4 gets a new one, but though i like M3 lite and all these things, i still think that R4 is best, cause' it's the original one, of these two.

::Xraxa, plz:.
June 30th, 2007, 22:57
I have an r4, and it works great. I higly recommend it. I have nothing against the M3, but my r4 works great.

Drego
July 3rd, 2007, 03:04
I have the M3 Simply. I think the reason he said $70 was for getting the SD card.....I hope. I spent $70 once I bought the M3S and a card from newegg. I like the R4 also, friend of mine has it. Both work great...