PDA

View Full Version : PS3 SDK Leaked!!!

mavsman4457
June 7th, 2007, 04:44
Looks like there will be a Hello World coming out soon, legal or illegal. This is according to a source that has been referred to as "VERY NiCE but anonymous" and "VERY TRUSTED but anonymous." Let's hope these two statements are true and that we will finally see some big news for the PS3 homebrew scene. If it's true then it should only be a couple of hours or days until a Hello World is released.

Video_freak
June 7th, 2007, 05:27
Wow if we can unlock all of the PS3's graphical powers for homebrew, I might get one! :P

Seriously though, this could be REALLY nice.

-Xandu-
June 7th, 2007, 13:13
Source?

Chameleon
June 7th, 2007, 13:33
ive heard this all over, its indeed true....
the SDK is like 400mb.

JKKDARK
June 7th, 2007, 13:53
Isn't it illegal? DCEmu would not support it

Chameleon
June 7th, 2007, 13:55
yes its definatley illegal... thats why no site hosts it, and aside from the size issue.

Kramer
June 7th, 2007, 14:14
lol. Doesnt this mean sony are screwed?

Chameleon
June 7th, 2007, 14:18
well, this just means that homebrew will be able to be developed... they still need to find an exploit within the firmware to run the homebrew.

But with 1.80 being debugged already the chances of finding an exploit are looking up :)

PLZKLLME0080
June 7th, 2007, 14:20
yes its definatley illegal... thats why no site hosts it, and aside from the size issue.

would it still be illegal in different countries to have on thier site? i heard other that in other countries it legal to do stuff that would be illegal in most other countries.

Chameleon
June 7th, 2007, 14:29
Its illegal in the sense that its owned by Sony Corp.
and its not to be used for unintended purposes...

Its not country bound, its sony's issue.. if they catch you with it, or you use it for purposes that are not what they want... it just means that theyll have an upperhand on legallity issues.

but itll be another one of those downloading mp3s for free type deal... kind of scetchy on weather or not persecution can be justified

-Xandu-
June 7th, 2007, 14:33
I don't think the whole PS3 SDK is leaked, otherwise this means we can do our own PS3 firmware updates.

Chameleon
June 7th, 2007, 14:44
I don't think the whole PS3 is leaked, otherwise this means we can do our own PS3 firmware updates.

Its a possibility down the road... but right now we havent even gotten a hello world, how do you expect a firmware update.

-Xandu-
June 7th, 2007, 15:55
Its a possibility down the road... but right now we havent even gotten a hello world, how do you expect a firmware update.
It's called Software Development Kit. Which Sony use to make their own software/updates.

So it's likely that part of it is leaked like what happened with the PSP UMD tools.

Kramer
June 7th, 2007, 16:05
It's called Software Development Kit. Which Sony use to make their own software/updates.

So it's likely that part of it is leaked like what happened with the PSP UMD tools.

Yeah from what I've read it seems to be useless without the PS3 dev kit because you cant sign the software to be run on a standard console.

acn010
June 7th, 2007, 16:08
????
this is revolutionary!!!!!!!!!!!!! a new age of homebrew is coming!!!!!!!!!
woot!!! ill search it no materwhat!!!!

Chameleon
June 7th, 2007, 16:09

I know what it is (hints SDK), regardless a hacked firmware is very unlikely as of soon due to the lack of knowledge of compiling the data

could be, but it looks impartial to me... but who am i to say

acn010
June 7th, 2007, 16:14
ladies and gentlemen!!! i present to you "PlayStation 3 SDK":
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/acn010/ps3sdk.jpg
PlayStation 3 dev kit has a 2.4 GHz processor and the RSX chip pictured below:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/acn010/rsx.jpg

The King
June 7th, 2007, 16:16
nicefind man so this proves that it is real

acn010
June 7th, 2007, 16:18
yes, it is real. i cant believe they took a picture of it and show it to the world

The King
June 7th, 2007, 16:20
maye they did that to scare sony or to prove that nearly anything can be hacked these days

Chameleon
June 7th, 2007, 16:23
Its a rumor, it has no underlined or defined source... it proves nothing.

acn010
June 7th, 2007, 16:45
Updated Info on the PS3 SDK Hardware
by Greg Gergen

PC Watch, a Japanese PC news site, posted some interesting news today regarding the technical specifications of the PLAYSTATION 3 SDK units. Not only that, but they gave the public insight into some issues developers are having while programming for the PS3.

Sony had announced a while back that the SDK unit to be shown at TGS would be the final version. However, instead of SDK v1.0, the model shown at TGS was v0.93. This is also the model that most developers are using to program their games on. While some may be concerned about Sony's delaying of the final SDK unit, some may also be pleased that Sony still has a chance to add to the final PS3 specifications. Either way, the PS3 is so close to its launch date that if Sony does change the PS3 specifications, it will not be anything drastic.

Developers are also dealing with certain restrictions revolving around the Cell processor. For instance, out of the 256kbs of memory allocated to each SPE on the Cell, only 128kbs can be used due to buffering. Despite this small set-back, developers are saying what most PS3 fans have been thinking all along, "It is impossible to extract the full performance of the Cell on launch titles, it will take time get familiar with it."

Until just recently, developers had been developing PS3 games on a nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX card. The RSX, however, uses nVidia's G70 which allows for very high shader performance. The downside to the current RSX specifications is that it has a 128-bit memory interface and 8 ROP (Rasterizing Operation). So there within lies a current hurdle for developers. How can they get the most out of the RSX's shading abilities without dealing with the bottleneck to the ROP memory? While that's a minor hurdle needing to be jumped, the biggest issue facing PS3 developers is HDR and FSAA. With the memory bottleneck, it becomes hard for developers to achieve PC level HDR and FSAA. Yet thanks to the flexibility of the Cell processor, developers are using Cell memory for textures and FlexIO for a texture lead. This greatly frees up GPU bandwidth.

Sony is also sticking with their plans to make PS3 not only a gaming console, but a computer entertainment system. There will be a governing OS which controls gaming, the home menu, etc. called the Cell OS. There will also be a second LinuxOS which allows for an open programmable environment. If Sony is to utilize this programming ability properly, SCE needs to create a set of tools which allow want-to-be developers to take advantage of the PS3 hardware. We must remind Sony that in order for the PS3 to succeed as a computer, it must first succeed as a gaming console.

-Xandu-
June 7th, 2007, 16:50
They will fail in making an OS. They aren't good at making it. Microsoft and Apple will wipe them out ;).

acn010
June 7th, 2007, 16:56
what about linux??

Chameleon
June 7th, 2007, 16:59
They will fail in making an OS. They aren't good at making it. Microsoft and Apple will wipe them out ;).

youre probably right... the cell proccessors are just not a good idea, a couple of them dont even work in most ps3s.

and having a linux based system, and a media center do not seem feasable, with the alloted proccessors, so the OS probably dont stand a chance

mavsman4457
June 7th, 2007, 22:21
You guys sound like you are talking as though the PS3 hasn't come out yet. Linux is OK but we just need the ability to use the RSX to make it all that it can be. Hopefully these tools will help us make that possible.

JKKDARK
June 7th, 2007, 23:32
Well luckily if it's true, DCEmu will not support discussion about homebrew relased with this SDK :)

F9zDark
June 8th, 2007, 04:49
The SDK doesn't ensure that programmers will instantly know how to program for the PS3. It will allow them to learn from it and see how things work in the PS3, but even still, custom firmwares are a long ways off.

I mean look at the PSP scene. We never had THE SDK from Sony, but we had one that was reversed engineered and the PSP uses C programming, which is far more well known than Cell programming, and it still took 1.5-2 years to get custom firmwares.

And besides even if we get programs for the PS3, they will be:

-Illegal to host
-Illegal to download

Aside from:

-Knowing absolutely nothing about getting Games onto the HDD, which is NECESSARY to run games period (unless we can burn these files to a CD or DVD and have them work that way...)

This wont really lead to anything good IMO. Why? Because what makes PSP homebrew legitimate is that it was all REVERSE ENGINEERED, which is legal to do as per US Fair Use laws.

Even if someone was to use the official SDK to find a way to reverse engineer the PS3 to discover and subsequently make an 'Unofficial SDK' it would still be illegal...

The fact that this SDK was leaked, will make it VERY hard for any site to justify any PS3 programs. Sad really, almost seems like this was the INTENTION all along; end homebrew by throwing the SDK out there, which gives Sony legal grounds to sue anyone making, hosting and releasing PS3 programs.

acn010
June 8th, 2007, 04:57
damn, that really sucks balls now... i wanted to create something on the system... as for now i officially name my ps3 as dusty- the dust collecter :(

-Xandu-
June 8th, 2007, 08:14
what about linux??

That's not going to work out because who would get a desktop set(Mouse,Keyboard) and sit in front of a TV?
How lame is that?

PS3 isn't made to be a computer, just a gaming device..

NoQuarter
June 8th, 2007, 09:27
actually the psp SDK was leaked as well but we have homebrew that is made from a legal SDK.

F9zDark
June 8th, 2007, 16:51
That's not going to work out because who would get a desktop set(Mouse,Keyboard) and sit in front of a TV?
How lame is that?

PS3 isn't made to be a computer, just a gaming device..

Its not lame at all. I have that very setup.

And the PS3 is computer. It has more processing power than a 2000$ computer from Alienware. Sony's problem is that they marketed it as a 'gaming console' which is why people have trouble with the price tag.

Had they marketed it as a computer, it'd be selling better than the Wii. Try finding a computer with half the power of the PS3 for 600$.

Mekanaizer
June 8th, 2007, 20:04
There is a legal ps3 SDK already and the 1º 'Hello world' like proggy already was released too and with source.

About the the SDK the only think we need to do is a tut or building a pre-build one. I would recommend the tut that's the way i like to work.

F9zDark
June 9th, 2007, 17:23
There is a legal ps3 SDK already and the 1º 'Hello world' like proggy already was released too and with source.

About the the SDK the only think we need to do is a tut or building a pre-build one. I would recommend the tut that's the way i like to work.

But the legal SDK, is for Linux am I correct? The Sony SDK would allow people to make games that run directly from the XMB, as we do with the PSP.

TeenDev
June 9th, 2007, 18:40
I guess this is the payback for shutting down lik-sang

-Xandu-
June 9th, 2007, 20:52
Its not lame at all. I have that very setup.

And the PS3 is computer. It has more processing power than a 2000$ computer from Alienware. Sony's problem is that they marketed it as a 'gaming console' which is why people have trouble with the price tag.

Had they marketed it as a computer, it'd be selling better than the Wii. Try finding a computer with half the power of the PS3 for 600$.
I agree but, can you change cards(Graphics/RAM) for the PS3? Can you run Windows on a PS3?:rolleyes:

F9zDark
June 10th, 2007, 04:04
I agree but, can you change cards(Graphics/RAM) for the PS3? Can you run Windows on a PS3?:rolleyes:

Most PCs from Dell, Gateway, Compaq and HP cannot change video cards either, but they are still considered computers.

Gold Line
June 10th, 2007, 04:12
we all know the risk of bricking a psp but what if you brick your ps3 thats £450 ($600) down the drain!

ChazZeromus
March 18th, 2009, 03:45
Bah, I'm sure the SDK allows you to do so much with system and wouldn't allow close coding near critical components like the firmware or other things on the hard disk. But hey, just don't fudge up!