PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: PSP SLIM details revealed!!

ayhoung
June 8th, 2007, 17:51
Back in March, we brought word of a new and improved PlayStation Portable. But what good are the rumblings of new hardware without some of the details? Today, thanks to several sources close to Sony, we bring you that nitty gritty as the redesigned Playstation Portable nears completion.

Keep in mind this isn't Playstation Portable 2, but rather a redesign of the original, so it will be sporting the same internal hardware. But that's about the only thing that hasn't changed. The new Playstation Portable will have a much slimmer design, thanks mostly to a new LED screen that will deliver an ultra-crisp image but take up far less space. That LED also helps pump up the battery life of this sexy new model, which can last as much as four times longer than the original PSP. While the new PSP still makes use of the UMD drive, it will be a faster version and to help speed up loadtimes and gameplay, the portable will come packed with 8GBs of internal flash memory. Finally, the PSP's much maligned buttons have been revamped and the D-Pad has gotten a major overhaul, giving portable gamers something more like a Playstation 3 D-pad to play with.

The company is still trying to decide whether or not they want to include a built-in camera, as they weigh whether the cost of adding the device will be worth the benefit to gamers. Our money is on no camera because of the competitive price issues. Those of you holding out for a touchscreen are, unfortunately, going to have to wait, though word has it that it will most like make an appearance in Sony's next portable gaming device. While the new PSP will remain black, Sony is still trying to decide whether it will have a glossy or matte finish.

The final price for this new PSP hasn't been set, but Sony is hoping to sell it for under $170 or so. Manufacturing should commence in the upcoming weeks, and the product is going to be officially unveiled at this year's E3. The sale date being tossed around is August, but don't be surprised if it's pushed back to September. What's this reworked PSP called? It doesn't have a name as of yet, but may we suggest "PSP Slim"?

Sony Computer Entertainment of America declined to comment on "rumor or speculation."

link (http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/psp-slim-details-revealed-267108.php)

steve520
June 8th, 2007, 18:08
Good im gonna need a new one since my brother stole my 3.40 OE-A PSP and my Nintendo DS with all my games. the slim one sounds really cool

Nikolaos
June 8th, 2007, 18:26
sweet, 8GB internal flash memory? holy shizat.... :D
i cant wait to see this... and to have homebrew on this

smiles
June 8th, 2007, 18:27
If this turns out to be true, I bet the internal flash memory will mean they get rid of the Memory Stick slot.

iceman100
June 8th, 2007, 18:34
There is no new psp, and their never will be.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
June 8th, 2007, 18:38
***YAWN*** not again.......

Airdevil
June 8th, 2007, 18:43
Sony would never put 8gbs of flash memory in it if this is true... they will stick with memory sticks cause thats the only way they are going to get extra revenue.

Aryn
June 8th, 2007, 18:51
Seems like SONY was actually listening to gamers' complaints when deciding how to redesign the PSP, I will be lookingf orward to eventually trying it when it is available. I will actually get one of these slimmer PSPs when I can run custom firmware and at least most homebrew programs on them. (I do not want to give up PSP Radio or the ability to play my LEGALLY purchased PSX games while on the go)

dylandangles
June 8th, 2007, 19:01
I have a feeling if this is true it will be in the price range of $400 - 500.

O_O...
I would have to sell both my current Psp's and my Ipod Nano to be able to afford this.

dweem2006
June 8th, 2007, 19:05
Next psp will have touchscreen? Blantant attempt to copy the DS if it is true. I hate sony stealing Nintendo's ideas. Why cant they think of something by themselves for a change.

mavsman4457
June 8th, 2007, 19:20
Although this sounds ridiculous I still can't help but get my hopes up. If this comes out and it is downgradable/suitable with a modchip then I will definitely get it.

jmendes
June 8th, 2007, 19:21
sounds like bs to me... 8giga internal? $170? neh... no way

Shrygue
June 8th, 2007, 19:31
Interesting...but of couse it could be yet another one of those rumours that appeared eariler on in the year. It would be good if all this did come true.

F9zDark
June 8th, 2007, 19:43
IF THIS IS TRUE:

I hope to god that Sony decided to put the analog nub on the right side of the PSP... Really, it is a BITCH using the face buttons to move in game or aim. Either way it sucks balls. Sony should have given us dual or right analog nub from the beginning. I cannot believe they thought for an instant that it would work on the left side...

Then again, this may not be true at all. These rumors have cropped up time and time again. If it is, thats cool, I might get one, if not whatever, its not like we haven't heard these rumors before.

Since this PSP will use internal storage space, I wonder if we can also use memory sticks? I hope so, since having 12 or 16gbs at our disposal would be damn nice.

Accordion
June 8th, 2007, 19:55
while this rumor is probably nothing more than that, at least in regards to price and internal memory, i do forsee a slimmer model with better buttons, and while a second analog nub seems unlikely a more reasonably placed and sensitve version is possible.

i was thinking using a small trackpad as an analog input could be a good alternative to any contol scheme, with the added bonus it would add no extra depth to the unit... of course the tactility would suffer with no direct feedback when you press...

felonyr301
June 8th, 2007, 20:05
If this is true don't get your hopes up thinking it's going to be cracked as easily as the first psp. I think this psp is designed to not be able to do anything unless you get a modchip.

dylandangles
June 8th, 2007, 20:13
Wow. I just looked at the "source" of this and I't doesn't seem like a very trustworthy news source. I'm going to go out on a limb here and call BS.

Tesseract
June 8th, 2007, 20:52
Uhm... Though I'm having trouble finding the interview, I recall seeing a recent one with a SONY rep DIRECTLY who said flat out that "The PSP is still top technology, and there are no plans for a redesign."

I call BS, too.

porchemasi
June 8th, 2007, 20:53
The firmware onthe new PSP is going to be slightly different! I seriously hope the HDD can be dumped to a PC and we can execute code for a new custom firmware.

DARK ALEX PLEASE SAVE UP YOUR MONEY!! FOR THE NEW PSP ! :)

uneekracer
June 8th, 2007, 21:18
well if it does happen i will be buying one but my hopes are not even up for this news

Nicko01
June 8th, 2007, 21:34
8gb flash memory would still be too expensive to use...
Depending on what changes, i might buy one if it comes out.
slimmer means it's harder to fit a modchip in.....

porchemasi
June 8th, 2007, 21:56
same here, i think this is fake + the price is unreasonable $180 there is no profit in it for sony

btw LED? Im sure they ment LCD ... how creditable

Accordion
June 8th, 2007, 22:48
same here, i think this is fake + the price is unreasonable $180 there is no profit in it for sony

btw LED? Im sure they ment LCD ... how creditable

no.

led backlights are safer and less power hungry

thefanaticgamer
June 8th, 2007, 23:00
Even if this were true, which by the way anyone who actually read reads it could tell, don't forget Sony really doesn't care about the customer, nor does nintendo or any other corporation. They simply care about making money. and although this may occasionally lead to some false "we love our customers" sense its still about the money. So before you think that theyre updating think about it.... will they make more money if they dont sell memory cards? is it profitable to sell a new system for less than an old one? is it likely to make an new system when the old system isw still selling.... all i am saying is try to use some common sense.....and also actually read the post....

Buddy4point0
June 8th, 2007, 23:19
i cant wait for this, hopefully it will be cracked soon after it comes out. it will be amazing for homebrew. and i would love the built in camera, but a buiilt in gps would be 500 times cooler

yoshinatsu
June 8th, 2007, 23:47
Wow!!!:thumbup:
Bravo Sony, once in a lifetime!!:p :p

mfz64
June 9th, 2007, 00:03
if this comes out, ill be pissed; i just got my psp a year ago......and now they're making a totally improved one?!

JosephStalin
June 9th, 2007, 01:55
The DS lite came out soon after the DS, and this presumably new PSP would obviously take memory sticks. It is possible, I suppose, but unlikely, after looking at every other hoax.

parkermauney
June 9th, 2007, 02:02
Homebrew support, or it's none for me.

dylandangles
June 9th, 2007, 02:11
If this is real (which i doubt it is) I can almost guarantee you it will not support any firmware below the one it comes with. Think of like a super TA-082. One that we cannot downgrade without some kind of hardware modification.

mike_jmg
June 9th, 2007, 02:35
Nah! this can´t be true, is too much effort

If it is about getting what I want, I would rather have like a psp2 with a mini HDD of 60 GB, no stupid UMD door, already Homebrew enabled, more processor power, slim LCD screen (like the one that is on a video somewhere), right analog stick, TV output and battery life of 40 Hours

What!!! ???.... I can dream too

Jpdeathblade
June 9th, 2007, 03:12
Next psp will have touchscreen? Blantant attempt to copy the DS if it is true. I hate sony stealing Nintendo's ideas. Why cant they think of something by themselves for a change.

Sony didnt steal the motion detection from nintendo....mostly bc there was a game on psx that used it (Warhawk, their bringing it back for ps3)...There was a motion controler for that...

Anyway i cant wait. If the fw is a easy to crack as 3.0X have been then im sure there will be hombrew on psp slim (lets hope sony forgets the unsigned code like 1.0:p ....stop looking at me, i can dream)

starogre
June 9th, 2007, 04:17
sweet, 8GB internal flash memory? holy shizat.... :D
i cant wait to see this... and to have homebrew on this

the thing is, it will be awhile till this is released, and an even longer while till there is homebrew on it

psp411
June 9th, 2007, 07:24
If its true...
then I want one...but i doubt most of the new add-ons for cost issues...(think about it... sony would have to sell this new psp for as much as they did when the 1st one came out...)
oh well... as long as i got my less power efficent, bigger, thicker, heavier, HACKED psp then im happy :D :cool:

Veskgar
June 9th, 2007, 07:48
This does sound a little too good to be true. I must admit that after reading this, it makes me want one. But like many, I doubt that this many cool improvements will be there while still keeping the same internal hardware.

But lets say its true. If its the same internal hardware, we should in theory be able to at the very least hook a mod-chip up perhaps.

I guess the best thing to do if you have the extra cash is to buy the new PSP at launch and just never upgrade it. Hoping that someday, the homebrew scene will expand to use the new model PSP as well.

Basil Zero
June 9th, 2007, 08:15
Sony's too busy with PS3, and there's no source from kotaku..i agree that its fake as well.

masamune
June 9th, 2007, 08:17
Yay more rumors, I hate facts :P... Wasn't there a rumor about "unflashable firmware" if this BS is true, I wonder if a new psp is what the rumor was referring to? Indeed "How would sony continue their firmware updates if you cant flash them?" Are they developing a fw that they feel dosent need future improvements in features/security... Do I even know what I'm talking about? No, but that dosent stop me anyway :P

also...

Why would you even say that dude... A touchscreen is only convenient (and cool) and its not like Nintendo invented them... Anyway I doubt sony plans to ever utilize it with umd games. if for whatever reason they do decide to use one. So enjoy your ds and don't dis sony or my favorite little precious portable gaming device...

3elevenX
June 9th, 2007, 09:12
Pretty sure this is fake, if not I'll be surprised. I mean 8GB built in!? :D :eek: :D so nice.

Your also living in a closet if you think Sony has ever had an original thought in their company mind. Sony likes to follow and borrow from others. They don't like to be the first out of the gates with "new" video game advancements.

They wait, see what Nintendo and at times Microsoft is doing, then once they see people are taking a liking to the new thing, Sony incorporates it into their product.

nomi
June 9th, 2007, 09:17
People who r saying that if the new psp has a touch screen it is a rip of from nintendo.... well if u wanna put it that way then...... the Ds copied it from every mobile that has a frickin touch screen... its not copying.. its making the system better!

hd_
June 9th, 2007, 09:55
The 8gb internal flash sounds pointless when you can just use mem sticks? But lets pretend that is true- I wonder if they will take things out like usb? Lol :S

I agree with Veskgar. It's like he read my mind in the future :P It does sound too good to be true- my initial reaction was "Wow, sony must be reading my posts or something, this is like exactly what I have been asking for".

On one hand you might think the camera (mic included?) idea would be complete bs- but if you think about it, it adds to the possibility of this being true because it means it's possible for the game developers to make games, expecting the user to have cam/mic capabilities- and that makes the camera add on actually worth it and not some silly side thing.

The improved controls and faster UMD would be the best part (especially the dpad, the current one stinks).

LED screen? Wtf is that? That is what makes it sound like bs to me, wouldn't that downgrade the quality? be chunkier? I don't know much about leds so maybe someone can add to my fantasy of this being true and explain how this might be possible.

Anyone expecting it to be easily downgraded is silly. Anyone thinking they should wait it out until it is downgraded is even sillier- I bought my PSP right away, it is an easily downgraded model- I think that if you want any real chance of a downgraded version you should get the very first ones out (import if you have to, the jap ones are bound to be errored :P).

jamotto
June 9th, 2007, 10:39
Well LED screens exist, but would be impractical on the psp. The smallest pixel size of a LED screen is 4mm so a 480x272 pixel sized screen would be 1,920mm x 1,088mm or about 6.3ft x 3.6ft. The size aside LED screens draw too much power anyways.

MillenioX
June 9th, 2007, 17:12
i thought i heard about someone asking for the next psp to be clam shell like GBA SP and DS... that opens up and closes for the safety of the screen??

Accordion
June 9th, 2007, 17:43
Well LED screens exist, but would be impractical on the psp. The smallest pixel size of a LED screen is 4mm so a 480x272 pixel sized screen would be 1,920mm x 1,088mm or about 6.3ft x 3.6ft. The size aside LED screens draw too much power anyways.

im pretty sure the post means LED backlighting, which i have already said uses much less power and is safer and more enviromentally friendly...of course there ar emuch more inconvincing parts of the claim, the 8gb internal memory for the low price.

dylandangles
June 9th, 2007, 18:42
You guys know they posted 0 sources for this right? For all we know kotaku.com could have just pulled this out of their asses.

hd_
June 10th, 2007, 03:35
Or they could be refering to the ultra thin OLED screens sony released not too long ago.

@dylandangles: We know, but let us fantasize about this possibly awesome thing :P

Gold Line
June 10th, 2007, 04:27
the next psp will have touch screen?
its been done! sony think of something new, stop copying nintendo and microsoft

mike_jmg
June 10th, 2007, 16:23
hd_
I agree with that too if this is true then we have to get the first one that comes out and never upgrade, hoping for a downgrader

Maybe using psp devolution, then flash to OE, then detach

also the D-pad is not that bad when you get used to it
Kind of gets more responsive the most you wear it out (LOL), mine feels like floating in jello
This also has improved my "habilities" with the ps2 D-pad, since it´works better than the one on the psp

shaney2k
June 10th, 2007, 20:26
doubt this is true, you know how long it takes for anything to get released for psp (ie grand turismo!) it be another year before a new psp would probably be released and it woulld be to late by then, they struggling to market the current psp compared to the DS as it is. There best of working at what theyve got since really it has got alot to offer as it is, the size isnt that important neither is any internal memory or screen sharpness.

Classic80s
June 11th, 2007, 02:55
Homebrew support, or it's none for me.

You better get this message to Sony so they can remember to enable homebrew the firetrucking gateway to pirating.

Mrpandaface
June 11th, 2007, 09:13

I think the second analog stick was one of the most revolutionary things to happen to gaming, done by no less but sony...

J sims
June 12th, 2007, 07:44
Honda mass producing cars? Blantant attempt to copy ford if it is true. I hate Honda stealing Ford's ideas. Why can't they think of something by themselves for a change.

Seriously what ever happened to the concept of increasing standard features.If this so called copying of features didn't exist the wii would still use carts but be the only console with standard wireless controllers,xbox would be the only console with online gaming,the ds would have two black and green screens and playstation 3 would be the only system that uses 3d graphics.

Johnny Rash
June 12th, 2007, 08:05
Our thick, heavy, power consuming PSPs aren't going anywhere. They're still the beacon of portable gaming!