PDA

View Full Version : PSP heat issues

Man
June 13th, 2007, 11:06
ok so im loading things onto my PSP yesterday morining, and the memory stick stopped working after i disconnected. I thought it was the usual cheap fake memorystick problems, but last night i popped it back into my psp, and everything was fine. I then proceeded to go onto the internet browser. This is when i statred to notice the massive amount of heat comming from the left side where my memorystick goes. Im not talking a little warm either, im talking full out heat wave, its ****ed up, does anybody know what this could be, its never happened before. I think it may be a dust collection near the places on the PSP where heat is supposed to escape, does anybody know where that is Either ?

jonezybaby
June 13th, 2007, 11:19
i really have no idea but 1 of my psp's the wifi and the memory sticks dont work and i think this is the reason!

The King
June 13th, 2007, 12:24
wow man bummer

Tesseract
June 13th, 2007, 19:53
I've noticed a little additional heat coming from the left when using WiFi consistently for long periods of time (Like streaming video or audio).

It tends to help if I prop the PSP up so the backside isn't resting on anything (table, hand, etc...). Keeps the heat from building up too much.

jonezybaby
June 13th, 2007, 20:26
^^ :D yea ive dun that cus ive learned from my mistakes lol, but as they say, how can ya learn from ur mistakes if ya dont make any? hehe

parkermauney
June 13th, 2007, 21:41
If the heat is VERY strong you could always, *gulp* ask sony.

Man
June 14th, 2007, 03:01
Ya, well im never asking sony, screw that, its too old for them to care. Btw, the heat may have bee comming from hving it rested on a blanket. And i also found out that the little gold coulored metal receptors on the memory stick were accually corroding, it looks like the tarnish that brass gets. i think my memory card is ****ed !

bah
June 14th, 2007, 15:30
You say you noticed the heat when you went into the web browser, I'm assuming you had wifi enabled then.

There were issues with the WIFI hardware in earlier PSPs overheating, I would be more concerned with that rather than the mstick.
Im pretty sure I remember reading sony changed the wifi hardware in more recent models.

If it gets too hot it could fry something internally and brick the thing, try to minimise WIFI usage for long periods would be your best bet I would say.

A PSP should not get hot just from sitting on, or even under a blanket, unless it's a switched on electric blanket of course.

Man
June 14th, 2007, 23:10
Ya, thats a problem i suppose, but he corroding memory stick could be just as bad.

Gene
June 15th, 2007, 04:10
you could try and get one of those attachable fans that go on the top of your psp. I heard they weren't needed because the psp rerely overheats, but i guess it might help your situation a little.

bah
June 15th, 2007, 07:04
I could see a badly corroded memory stick contact causing the card to not read but I don't think it would cause a large amount of heat.

Its really strange that has happened, I havn't heard of contacts in memory sticks/carts corroding badly since the NES and the crappy metal they used.

It must be a fake card, surely no reputable company would sell memory sticks with poor quality metal contacts that would corrode that quick. Heat obviously accelerates corrosion but theres no way it should be corroding at all.

Have you tried another memory stick and see if it still gets hot? If you have the WIFI off does it still get hot?

I dont think those fans do anything at all for the PSP, the air needs a cpl good sized holes for in and out flow, the PSP has neither. It might cool your hands a little :)

Man
June 15th, 2007, 10:28
Ya its definitly a fake, iv known that since day one. Lol no oone sells a 4 gig stick for 30$ with out a reason. I think i have got my moneys worth out of it. Iv had it for aleast 2 years. and now that the 4gigs are comminf down in price, i might aswell buy a not fake one, i might take my psp apart to look at the memorystcik slot, just to make sure there is no corrosoin.

bah
June 15th, 2007, 14:29
There probably is a bit in there so it would be a good idea if your used to opening PSPs.

I definitely agree with you on the 4gig cards, I got one a fair while back and paid quite a premium for my impatience :)

Great for packing the thing with TV/movies for a long trip.

Man
June 16th, 2007, 07:42
Oh ja, the memory card is ****ed. I went to put back the PSP together, and i over tightined a screw, and ****ed up the LCD, if i take the face plate off its good, and if i was able to take the screw out i would, but i kind stripped the head, so i think im just going to cut it with a dremel tool later, for not im off to bed, its nearly 3 in the morning, and i am ****ING TIERD !!

Tesseract
June 16th, 2007, 19:56
One trick I learned in college that's worked well with PC Memory and Expansion cards:

Take a regular pink eraser to the contacts. They might not be corroded, just dirty. That might help with the MemStick activity.

Man
June 17th, 2007, 18:23
cool, ill try that right now.

acn010
June 17th, 2007, 18:33
whats the problem again. up-to-date info. maybe i could help

Man
June 17th, 2007, 19:07
Doesnt matter anymore, memory stick in peices on my floor, give up, its ****ed up, i threw it at a wall, now i need to buy a new one :) yay ! im not going to buy another cheap one again, i may but one of those 8 GIG sicks, there like 269$ though.

acn010
June 17th, 2007, 19:21
oh damn... you could use that cheap mem for something else...

Man
June 18th, 2007, 01:15
Nah, there was no hope anyways, it had served its purpose, and now it is even more useless. Lol its no big deal, i think i got my moneys worth out of it.