PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial - Installing Custom XMB Plugins on OE Firmware

Triv1um
June 13th, 2007, 22:01
Hey there, this is a tutorial to install custom XMB menus.

For this tutorial you will need Open Edition (OE) firmware. 3.03 OE-c, 3.40 OE-a, etc.

***BEFORE YOU DO THIS, BACK UP YOUR FLASH0, I WILL TELL YOU HOW TO ACCESS THE FLASH0 IN THE TUTORIAL, I WILL WARN YOU, THAT USING SOMEONE ELSE'S FLASH0 WILL FULLY BRICK YOUR PSP, BACKUP YOUR OWN Thanks for reminding me of that last one pt9807 :)***

First you need your "topmenu_plugin.rco" like shown here -
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u213/triv1um/01.png

You need to put this straight into your Flash0, you can using flashing program, but i like to do it manually. You know what is happening then.

To access your flash0 you need to do this -
Enter recovery mode (make sure your PSP is turned FULL off (hold the off switch till it goes off) then turn the PSP on with the "R" Trigger button)

Then go to advanced

Then press Toggle USB Flash0 (with your USB cord into your Computer obviously)

Now go into your Flash0 on your computer, you should get these folders -
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u213/triv1um/02.png

Now you need to go through these folders -

VSH ---> Resource

Then you should be inside this folder -
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u213/triv1um/03.png

You need to drop your "topmenu_plugin.rco" into this folder. ***MAKES SURE THE TOPMENU-PLUGIN.RCO IS FOR YOUR FIRMWARE, 3.03OE AND 3.40OE PLUGINS ARE DIFFERENT***

Overwrite the current topmenu_plugin.rco, and your done. (you may need to make some room in your flash0, but that is another story) If you dont have enough room, you should have your backup i told you to make.

Now your done, eject the drive. Then boot up your PSP and if all is good. Your custom XMB should be there.

Waves etc. are also done via this same method.

If this fails to work, it is the plugins fault. You either need to get one compatible with your firmware or get one that isnt corrupt. :P

Good luck and tell me your results :)

parkermauney
June 13th, 2007, 22:39
Great tutorial, Ubuntu rocks! :p

Triv1um
June 13th, 2007, 22:41
Great tutorial, Ubuntu rocks! :p

Yes indeed it does, i only just re-installed it, thats why its all stock :)

Stigmatized
June 14th, 2007, 12:55
Thanks for making this. When you say to back up, does that mean when I'm in recovery mode I need to find my original topmenu_plugin.rco and copy and paste it to my desktop?

Then the custom topmenu_plugin.rco which I have obtained, I drag that into the folder and overwrite the original one?

bandit
June 14th, 2007, 14:08
Nice tut but maybe resize the images or put thumbnail pics.

Triv1um
June 14th, 2007, 17:34
Thanks for making this. When you say to back up, does that mean when I'm in recovery mode I need to find my original topmenu_plugin.rco and copy and paste it to my desktop?

Then the custom topmenu_plugin.rco which I have obtained, I drag that into the folder and overwrite the original one?

I recommend backing up ALL of your flash0.

just copy and paste it into a folder.

pt9087
June 16th, 2007, 01:11
Hmm nice tut Triv!

You should add that using someone elses full backup will definatly brick the psp! And also a dummie of random 1mb font file to save space! :thumbup: nice work!

Triv1um
June 16th, 2007, 10:35
Ah yes indeed.

Thanks for that pt9087 :)