PDA

View Full Version : Downloadable homebrew boot disc?

Mr.Denny
June 16th, 2007, 22:14
Hi guys,

Recently I've been interested in getting homebrew running on my ps2. However, I don't want too much hassle so chipping it is out of the question. Also, I don't want it enough to buy a whole host of things in order to play games that I have on my PC.

Anyway, is there a free boot disc that I can download that boots homebrew?. Or, is that a super easy way of playing homebrew on my ps2?.

I know it's being very picky but thank you. :)

iniquitous_beast
June 16th, 2007, 22:36
The most non-invasive means of running homebrew on a ps2 is the SwapMagic / Slide Card combo. There are also no-solder modchips which allow you to swap disks without a slide card. Just google the terms I've mentioned and you should find everything pretty easily.
Also, be aware that I am writing this with the older ps2 models in mind. I am not sure what is necessary to perform a swap in a newer ps2. I'm pretty sure that Dcemu has a ps2 homebrew section. You should search for a guide in that section's forums.

Tesseract
June 16th, 2007, 23:39
T'be honest, if you've got a 'chubby' PS2, the least dangerous way to play homebrew is to buy an Action Replay Max (or Max EVO) and use the Independence Exploit.

There's plenty of info on this site about how to get that set up. No Modding, no swapping. Once you're set up, you're golden.

It ONLY works on the older 'chubby' PS2's, though. SONY fixed the exploit in the slimline PS2's.

Mr.Denny
June 17th, 2007, 00:13
Thanks for the info iniquitous_beast, Tesseract :)

Cool

Well, I have an old ps2 so I might just look into this.

But is it worth doing?. What kind of emulators run on the ps2 and at what speed?.

Tesseract
June 17th, 2007, 09:38
The simpler SNES games run fairly well on SNES Station, PGEN offers some of the best emulation on the console, oddly enough. InfoNES is good for NES emulation.

Keep in mind that you can fit most HDD's into the drive bay, as long as the ATA and Power plugs fit right. It may not show up in the PS2 Browser, but programs like uLaunchELF will be able to see it. That way, you don't have to store all of your homebrew on a USB Flash Drive or MemCard.

The thing I tend to use most, though, is SMS Media Player. Lets me stream video and audio over my home Network to my TV. THAT'S nice. ;)

There's a bit more in the PS2 section of this very site. Unfortunately, the PS2 homebrew scene never gained the popularity of Dreamcast or PSP, despite the ease of executing homebrew... So there's not a lot. :(

pibs
June 17th, 2007, 09:43
as tesseract said the ps2s hdd works great for homebrew i myself a noob ;D found this to be easy with the tutorials online

Zin0099
June 20th, 2007, 18:25
I use flip top and swap magic 3.6 and AR MAX for homebrew

use swap magic 3.6 or 3.8 coder because you don't always have to use cds and dvds for playing homebrew just use a usb device on fat not fat32 format

Tesseract
June 20th, 2007, 19:57
Once you get the Independence exploit, you can use a copy of the file 'USBD.IRX' (can't link or upload here 'cause it's supposedly not nice to do so.) and uLaunchELF will read directly from a USB Flash drive. No need for swap stuff. The flip-top would then be an unnecessary mod as well.

The only thing I can think of that one would need SwapMagic for after you've 'liberated' your PS2 would be playing burned PSX games.

Sonicboy 101
June 20th, 2007, 20:23
T'be honest, if you've got a 'chubby' PS2, the least dangerous way to play homebrew is to buy an Action Replay Max (or Max EVO) and use the Independence Exploit.

There's plenty of info on this site about how to get that set up. No Modding, no swapping. Once you're set up, you're golden.

It ONLY works on the older 'chubby' PS2's, though. SONY fixed the exploit in the slimline PS2's.

Hey, really? I have a chubby ps2, and have wanted to play homebrew on it for ages. :thumbup:
Is there a guide on it somewhere?

Tesseract
June 20th, 2007, 23:27
Yup! Right on the PS2 network page on this very site! I learned everything almost I know about this from DCEmu :)

qwertyqaz69
June 25th, 2007, 06:49
could one of you guys that know wut ur doing email me or add me too aim and help me out cuz i jus got in to this and i was useing hdl dump and the hd advance to get the iso files with the emulators n roms on my ps2 but they dont work n im stuckk soo if someone could be soo kind and help me my aim is [email protected] email or IM me please

thank you

yeggaass
June 26th, 2007, 19:30
I read the instructions on where to go but i'm still getting stuck :( i need help plzz

Spencer Porter
July 4th, 2007, 00:51
could som1 explain to me or point in the direction ( ive gooogled for hours ) on getting my backup ps2 games running. ive got the elf thing to where it boots when i run my ps1 game. now is there a way i could put in a dvd of a backup ps2 game and it run? how so plz help!

preetyforu
December 27th, 2007, 17:11
To create an MS-DOS startup disk
The MS-DOS startup disk you create will allow you to boot into MS-DOS.

Insert a floppy disk into your computer's floppy drive.
Open My Computer, and then click the floppy disk drive to select it.
On the File menu, point to the name of the floppy drive, and then click Format.
Under Format options, click Create an MS-DOS startup disk.
Click Start.
Important

Creating an MS-DOS startup disk erases all information on the floppy disk.
Notes

To open My Computer, double-click the My Computer icon on the desktop.
The MS-DOS startup disk only allows the system to boot into an MS-DOS prompt. The disk contains no additional tools.

preety
webmaster
http://www.entertainmentvenues.org