PDA

View Full Version : Semi-brick on XMB retheme?

flame4223
June 17th, 2007, 04:13
So I downloaded a few different 3.40 OE-A' themes and copied them one by one into the respective directories in the flash0, rebooting the psp every time.
Each and every theme caused my PSP to semi-brick.
I tried a couple of XMB theme managers... these caused the same semi-brick - the PSP turns on with a black screen, then turns itself back off.
Each time it bricks I've reflashed the entire 3.40 firmware... any ideas why it won't cooperate?

Safari Al
June 17th, 2007, 04:26
This happened to me once or twice and i figured out the problem by putting in the files one at a time and rebooting the psp each time you put in a file to see which file messed it up. for me it was the game something plugin. always have a backup of your flash0 in case it bricks though

flame4223
June 17th, 2007, 04:27
Thanks, will try that and see what happens.

flame4223
June 17th, 2007, 04:48
As I was going through the files, I took note of /kn/pspbtcnf.txt
After flashing this file, it bricked. The reason - it referenced files that were nonexistant.
I made sure it referenced existing files and the system booted with no problem into the new theme.
I question whether all PSPs running 3.40 OE-A' have the same flash0 contents, since the themes I'm using are intended for use on 3.40 OE-A', yet references files residing in a directory other than listed.

parkermauney
June 17th, 2007, 06:03
Was it the ps3 theme recently posted? I noticed it was the only theme I've ever seen that included prx's.

mikebeaver
June 17th, 2007, 12:01
try using the CXMB PRX (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=19027&d=1181146463) from Poisonhzki, it will allow you to try different themes etc WITHOUT having to put them in flash 0, thay work from memory stick.
That way you can see what they look like, and have game boots that are a lot larger in size than you could normally fit into Flash 0 aswell.

You can also use another one by brethren that when used in cojunction with CXMB will give you a new theme each time you turn on randomly, download it HERE. (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=19123&d=1181591988)

Safari Al
June 17th, 2007, 14:17
If it bricks the psp or if it doesn't ask you to overite it then don't put it in there

acn010
June 17th, 2007, 14:37
reformat using the OE update if your tired using xmb themes...