PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth trading my new psp [ 3.50 :( ] for a downgradeable one? (New FF Tactics)

Mabus71
June 20th, 2007, 20:36
Hey guys,

So yeah I'm one of the noobs who updated my brand new psp I bought yesterday to 3.50 blah blah i don't wanna bore you with thos details I know you've all read it a million times.

I'm just wondering.. I know a couple of people who have some older psp's. Should I trade my brand new one for theirs and hope I can put some homebrew on it? I bought this psp so I can be able to play the new ff tactics comming out in october. I heard somewhere that if you don't have the new firmware some games are not going to be playable.

So what my question is lets say I got an older psp which i can put the 3.40 OE from Dark Alex on it. And October rolls around and Tactics comes out for PSP. Hypothetically speaking lets say it requires the official firmware would I even be able to upgrade to the official firmware, or.. once you go homebrew you can't go back?

I don't really think I'd want to go back just for a game.. but how is that going to work out.

Thanks in advance..

Saracchini
June 20th, 2007, 20:54
Some TA-82 PSPs will brick if you upgrade directly from a custom firmware to the newers Sony firmwares.You can use recovery from 3.40-OE to return to 1.50 then upgrade...but i dont understand why you do something like this.Once you have a custom firmware you can run homebrew and the newers PSP games ... with official firmware you will be hable to run only the PSP games.
No games requires firmwares greater than 3.40 and 3.40-OE run this games fine.

-------------------EDIT-----------------------------
If FF tactics requires a greater firmware wait a new custom firmware be made and enjoy.
Homewbrew capabilities of a PSP are awesome and you probabily dont want loose then for a one game.

Mabus71
June 20th, 2007, 21:00
ahhh good to know..

So I guess its time to look around for a compatiable psp which I can put homebrew on... I think the EB i bought it from has a deal where if you trade in 6 ps2 games they give you a re-furbished psp but I wonder if those are patched or were pre-bricked or something.. I doubt they would let me check before offering me it.. hmm. Maybe I can tell them to demonstrate if it works or not haha

parkermauney
June 20th, 2007, 21:26
They won't give you a bricked psp. lol

Mabus71
June 21st, 2007, 14:10
yeah.. I went back and made some bs about when I upgraded to firmware 3.50 the wifi stopped working.. and they returned it and gave me back a new one. But that came with 3.11 preinstalled on it.. Dammmit..

If a downgrader were to come out in the future would a 3.11 psp have a better chance then a 3.50 or if one would come out would it be for a 3.50 u guys think?

mnuhaily22
June 21st, 2007, 14:23
^^^Ouch, bad luck man. But as of now it is impossible to know, but patience is the key. I had to wait a little over a year until my ta-082 2.71 was downgradable (simple was of putting it), but it might be sooner, depends on when an exploit will be found.

iniquitous_beast
June 21st, 2007, 14:31
I simply went to my gamestop and asked to "test out" their psps before choosing one to buy. They were very accommodating, and I eventually found a nice 2.60.

SSaxdude
June 21st, 2007, 16:04
Yes, a homebrew compatible PSP adds much enjoyment to handheld gaming.

parkermauney
June 21st, 2007, 17:15
But, like you asked, there is always a chance that a 3.11 dg will come before 3.50. The certificate utuility was removed in fw's after that, and many believe there is an exploit in that.

Mabus71
June 22nd, 2007, 16:26
Yeah.. thats true. Man I can't believe they let you test out the psps? haha. I wish I had a friend who worked at EB

h4s30
June 23rd, 2007, 09:38
certificate utility was useless thats why they got rid of it when i had 2.6 not once did i ever go to "certificate utility" then i downgraded and if there is still a said "certificate utility then i don't know about it

but there is a possiblity