PDA

View Full Version : Brand new to this, need help. Loads of questions.

Falseblue
June 21st, 2007, 19:11
I am brand new to the homebrew and emulating scene on the DS. So, I am asking for some help.

1) I need to be able to get the devices for Emulating in a BEst Buy or Circuit City.

So, which would be the best value for emulating;
Max Media Dock/Launcher/Player ( I do not nknow the difference) or the Games N Music?

2) How hard is it to enable or install the programs on the devices?

3) What exactly does DLDI do?

I think that is all.

DanTheManMS
June 21st, 2007, 19:43
While the Datel products are the only ones available offline, they are also among the worst homebrew devices available. If you absolutely must go with them however, get a Max Media Dock (the one where you supply your own CF card). The GnM does not have a DLDI file made for it at the moment, making it utterly useless for a large percentage of homebrew.

Again though, I'd highly recommend looking at the devices you can buy online.

Installing programs is as simple as plugging the media card into a card reader and copying files to it.

DLDI is basically a dynamic "filesystem access code" thing. Developers reserve a 32 kb segment in the program for filesystem access code, and you patch in the code for your specific device. This allows for the same homebrew program to run on any device that has DLDI support. As the GnM has no DLDI file, only homebrew that does not access the filesystem will work with it.

Falseblue
June 21st, 2007, 22:32
SO, Most likely I will be getting the Media dock. I see several variations of this from Datel. WHich do I need? The one with the Game Card that has the NoPass feature? Or just the dock that goes into slot 2?
Since SD cards are going down in price, that will be my best bet.

Now, my question is now, is there a NES, GB, and possibly a SNES emulator that can run on it?

Thanks for your help so far :thumbup:

Ill see how I like the whole idea of homebrew and such first, then maybe later get the R4.

DanTheManMS
June 21st, 2007, 23:33
You'll want the slot-2 Dock, which should come with a slot-1 NoPass device that may be labeled either "Max Media Player" or "Max Media Launcher". Both are the same device with different stickers, and it is needed to launch the MMD in DS mode.

You can use NES DS for NES, Lameboy for GB/GBC, and SNEmulDS for SNES. All three support DLDI, so they should work with the MMD.

Falseblue
June 22nd, 2007, 01:15
You'll want the slot-2 Dock, which should come with a slot-1 NoPass device that may be labeled either "Max Media Player" or "Max Media Launcher". Both are the same device with different stickers, and it is needed to launch the MMD in DS mode.

You can use NES DS for NES, Lameboy for GB/GBC, and SNEmulDS for SNES. All three support DLDI, so they should work with the MMD.

Can I get one of them without any SD card or HDD in them, since I have already purchased a 2gig SD card. And, do I need the slot one card? Because If not, I will just get the dock for $20.

And, do the emulators support a rom select feature?

DanTheManMS
June 22nd, 2007, 02:10
The SD card is gonna be worthless, as the MMD takes CF cards. The MMD itself should come without a CF card, while the Max Media Player (I know, conflicting name with the slot-1 card) has a built-in one, but I've heard that homebrew works better on the Dock where you supply the CF card yourself.

And yes, you need the slot-1 card in order to launch it in DS mode. The MMD can do absolutely nothing in GBA mode.

All three emulators I mentioned have a rom selection menu where you can browse to the *.nes or *.gb or *.gbc or *.smc file on your card (though in the case of SNEmulDS they must all be in a certain directory).

Falseblue
June 22nd, 2007, 07:32
Meh. I will have to look into an R4 or M3.

Which is a good cheap one to get?

edit - >

Looks like the R4 is the better one, price and so. But now several questions...

1) It can run just about all the programs and emulators?

2) Can run DS backups natively?

3) Is it better to buy a flash cart for slot 2 and card, or just a microsd card? Does it matter?

DanTheManMS
June 22nd, 2007, 09:15
1. It will run most homebrew that doesn't require GBA compatibility. You should be fine with most emulators though, as most have DLDI support.

2. We can't really talk about that on DCemu, sorry.

3. I'd suggest getting a slot-1 card for ease of use. You can still get a slot-2 card if you want, though you will need a slot-1 NoPass device to boot it into DS mode.

Falseblue
June 22nd, 2007, 19:26
:thumbup: 1) Thanks.

2) I didnt say the "R" word ;)

3) Alright, I will probably be picking up the R4 on Amazon then. And Ill stick with Slot 1 stuff for awhile.

OH, and I wasted $20 on the SD. Oh well, no big deal.

Two more questions before I make my purchase.

1) I dont need to flash my DS, right?

2) Will it affect my DS in anyway?

As you can tell, I like to know everything before I throw down around $70 for something

DanTheManMS
June 22nd, 2007, 20:21
You don't need to flash, no. Flashing is a convenience for slot-2 users, as you no longer have to use the slot-1 NoPass device (except in the case of the MMD, which FlashMe cannot boot, so you must use the MML every time). With a slot-1 device, the only reasons to flash would be if you want to get rid of the health and safety warning screen and if you want protection from DS firmware brickers (which are extremely rare).

If you don't flash, it should not affect your DS in any way.

Falseblue
June 23rd, 2007, 01:25
Ok, thanks for your help :D

I ordered my R4 today on amazon, along with a 2GB MicroSD :thumbup:

Should be coming in the mail next week. So, anything that i should definitely put on it?

One more question, sorry. Can it run any *.nds file? With DLDI?

DanTheManMS
June 23rd, 2007, 05:52
Most *.nds files will run, yes, unless they require GBA compatibility. The only real program I can think of that does this is SnezziDS. Also note that older pre-DLDI homebrew that accesses the filesystem will most likely not work on an R4. Anything with DLDI support however should work fine.

The latest R4 firmware has a DLDI autopatcher, so you don't need to patch on the computer.

Falseblue
June 23rd, 2007, 21:15
IM glad I do not have to patch them, because I have no idea how to.

I just need a NES, SNES, GB, and Genesis emulators that work with it.

DanTheManMS
June 24th, 2007, 00:58
NES - use NES DS. Copy it to your card along with the *.nes games and run it. Tap the screen to open the menu (though the touchscreen code is screwed up so it doesn't hit where you want it to).

SNES - use SNEmulDS. Follow the instructions at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNEmulDS though you can skip the DLDI step as it will be autopatched when you run it.

GB - use Lameboy. Either follow the ReadMe or read the Lameboy article on the PHwiki.

Genesis - use PicoDriveDS. The latest version supports DLDI, so it should present you with a folder list you can navigate to find your games.

Falseblue
June 24th, 2007, 02:00
Thanks a lot. You have helped an enormous amount.