PDA

View Full Version : PS3 save money get a monitor,( HDCP) High Quality, Low Budget

lmtlmt
June 28th, 2007, 13:50
This is a great guide

Okay firstly reason I'm making this thread is due to the fact many of us Game players need to experience Hd with the Ps3 and here the cheapest way for the highest quality you can get.

Being a student this worked for me brilliantly.

Lcd Hd-Tv's are expensive but you can view Tv on them aswell.

Lcd computer monitors can only view content through what is connected to the device.

So heres where the Trick comes in

Most modern devices have (HDMI) which is backwards compatible with (DVI).
So what you need is a good HDMI to DVI cable.

Okay so why use a computer monitor and what is good?

Computer monitor lets say 22" can be hundreds of dollars cheaper than a 22" Hdtv.

Computer monitors have much higher resolutions and are automatically higher in quality.
And always make sure the monitor is HDCP equivalent to HD.

So I bought myself a Asus 22" Computer monitor widescreen.
Cost me $430 Au and a Tv that size would be between $800-$1300 Au CRAZY frankly....

I use the monitor just for gaming so what Specs are good.
Panel Size: 22.0" Wide Screen
True Resolution: WSXGA+ 1680 x 1050
Brightness (Max.): 300cd/㎡
Contrast Ratio (Max.): 700:1
Display Colors: 16.7 M
Response Time: 2ms (Gray to Gray)
HDCP: Yes

Response times not more than 5ms, 2ms is instant for me.

Then basically plug in and set up the Ps3 or Xbox settings. (xbox with a Hdmi port only can be used for this.)

With my monitor Im able to view all the resolutions the Ps3 can chuck at me.

including 1080i and 1080p on a 22" Yes that equals amazing quality.

Obviously you can get larger than 22" but from 30" prices jump rather high ranging $1300 Au again. but then amazing resolutions can be reached such as 2560x1600 on a 30".

Smaller than 22" is not worth it and then you also wont reach 1080i and p maybe 720p.So 22" and up is a good start

Once completed you have this

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/6915/ps3preview3yr4.jpg
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/7131/ps3preview2ut2.jpg
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1862/ps3preview1lq3.jpg

Of course you can do more than just plug in your Ps3 but thats all I aim to do with mine and it works brilliantly.

For the people with huge 42inches etc this thread will not help you.

note these are based on australian prices, UK and USA prices will be a little bit cheaper ;)

ricki_b
July 12th, 2007, 11:42
UK prices cheaper? It sucks here.

So if your using HDMI to DVI how do you cope with sound? I thought DVI doesnt deal with sound.

spide2m4n
July 13th, 2007, 05:12
Hey! I was going through the internet looking for articles about connecting a PS3 to a Computer Monitor and I came across your forum thread. I must say, that it's amazing to see it work!

I do need some help. I am ordering the same exact monitor you have simply for the same reason that you did....Playstation 3 gaming! ALthough, i will use it for PC purposes as well. In order to do this properly, I have a few questions for you :

1- can you reply with detailed instructions on how to properly connect and configure your ps3 to work with that monitor ?

2- can you tell me how you get sound, and exactly what you use, and how you make it work ?

Thats all I need, and i'll be set!

ricki_b
July 13th, 2007, 18:15
You need a

HDMI to DVI cable

*OR*

HDMI cable AND HDMI to DVI Converter

As for sound Im not sure, but what im hearing though is that you can use HDMI for video and the original AV out for audio.

[Of course all this also applies to people with a HD TV that does not have a HDMI port, only DVI]