PDA

View Full Version : Questions about psp custom fw

BC Bwoy
June 30th, 2007, 00:28
First off, if anyone has posted a thread about this before, I'm sorry for the repeat, I just didn't feel like looking through all the pages of topics and checking out the ones with nondescript titles. Sue me. ;) Anyways, I have some questions for anyone who knows the answers about psp custom fws. I am currently running on 3.40.

1. Is it possible to switch to custom fw from 3.40? I am a noob when it comes to coding, so if this can be done, please use layman's terms. :confused:
2. What does the custom fw (the ones designed by dark_alex, as those seem to be the ones everyone says are the best.) have that the sony fw doesn't?
3. Can it run any homebrews or just certain ones?
4. Can the custom fw be switched back to the sony fw if necessary?
5. Does the custom fw run all psp games normally?
6. Do I run a risk of bricking my psp if I want to install custom fw?
7. If I need to downgrade to get custom fw, can I do so without bricking?

That's it for now, I know, noob questions, but I'd really appreciate it if anyone can answer them. :)

Nicko01
June 30th, 2007, 02:49
1. Yes, if you have Lumines.
2. It can run homebrew, be customized, play your own PSX games...
3. All homebrew that I know of works on them.
4. Yes, but it isn't necessary.
5. Yes, it can even use special cheat devices or speed up the game, and you can download official games for free (this is illegal, so you cant talk about that here)
6. You do, but it is very small, and highly unlikely if you do it right.
7. Again, the chances of bricking are small.

If you would brick your PSP, all you need to do is get a modchip like Undiluted Platinum or Devolution installed which will unbrick it. These are pretty cheap to get now.

PM me if you have more questions.

Safari Al
June 30th, 2007, 05:03
Yes you should go to the oe if you downgrade because of all the things Nicko01 said and because of recovery mode ( recovers psp to 1.50 if semi bricked) and it lets you customize your xmb. Glad i did it:thumbup:

YAy 100th post!!

konto
June 30th, 2007, 06:05
I want to help my friend with the lumines exploit but i was wondering, if i was to downgrade his psp, and then update it to a custom firmware, would that lock him out of sony's official firmwares, or can he still update to them if needed?

also: he doesn't have a Ta-082 or anything like that.

Wight
June 30th, 2007, 10:33
I want to help my friend with the lumines exploit but i was wondering, if i was to downgrade his psp, and then update it to a custom firmware, would that lock him out of sony's official firmwares, or can he still update to them if needed?

also: he doesn't have a Ta-082 or anything like that.

He could indeed if he doesn't have TA-082. Why he would want to is a different story, I can't imagine going back.

holla2k
June 30th, 2007, 18:04
Yea if he don't have ta-082 i think he can update to official sony fw from custom fw. Why he would want to is beyond me. I can't even think about going back to my normal psp after i upgraded to 3.40 oe. I fully customized my XMB and i have tons of roms for all different systems psp and psx games on my 4gb! Before i got custom fw i only used my psp as a ipod. But now i love my psp!

Tesseract
June 30th, 2007, 19:58
Running: 3.50 Official Firmware and actively seeking Lumines!

Wight, if you can't find Lumines, I'm shocked. ;) I got my copy at Wal-Mart back in January. If you limit your search to Games Stores, you probably WILL have a tougher time.

BC Bwoy
July 10th, 2007, 05:42
Thanks for the assist guys. Just one more quick question (yes, I know it's going to sound like I've been under a rock, but I just found out about the psp homebrew scene a little while ago.) How does the Luminfs exploit work? I'm gonna download the custom fw now so when I get Lumines, I'll be ready to get it installed. Oh, is it Lumines 1,2 or either? And thanks again for helping me out!

parkermauney
July 10th, 2007, 05:54
It's lumines 1, and the exploit works when the game loads the save, you can redirect it to load hen, witch temporarily patches your motherboard, allowing you to run unsigned code, the downgrader in your case.

BC Bwoy
July 12th, 2007, 06:32
Okay, Dark Alex is gone and he's taken his website down. Where can I get 3.40 oe now? Is there another place I can download it or can someone send me the file?

l33t_haxz0r
July 12th, 2007, 06:44
Get 3.40 OE-A Here http://dl.qj.net/3.40-OE-A-PSP/pg/12/fid/13553/catid/163

BC Bwoy
July 13th, 2007, 05:05
Thanks! Now I need to just go and get Lumines and to a PC to download the fw.

andersonoscar5
July 13th, 2007, 13:50
There's no denying that the Apple iPod is the most popular MP3 player in the world. It's so popular, in fact, that it has bordered on becoming the generic term for MP3 player

www.ipodconverter.com

parkermauney
July 13th, 2007, 14:38
Spam.

Not even doom music justifies spambots.

gu3
July 13th, 2007, 14:41
First off, if anyone has posted a thread about this before, I'm sorry for the repeat, I just didn't feel like looking through all the pages of topics and checking out the ones with nondescript titles. Sue me. ;) Anyways, I have some questions for anyone who knows the answers about psp custom fws. I am currently running on 3.40.

1. Is it possible to switch to custom fw from 3.40? I am a noob when it comes to coding, so if this can be done, please use layman's terms. :confused:
2. What does the custom fw (the ones designed by dark_alex, as those seem to be the ones everyone says are the best.) have that the sony fw doesn't?
3. Can it run any homebrews or just certain ones?
4. Can the custom fw be switched back to the sony fw if necessary?
5. Does the custom fw run all psp games normally?
6. Do I run a risk of bricking my psp if I want to install custom fw?
7. If I need to downgrade to get custom fw, can I do so without bricking?

That's it for now, I know, noob questions, but I'd really appreciate it if anyone can answer them. :)

basically if you have the lumines game you can downgrade to sony fw 1.5 and then on top of that you can run a custom firmware 3.40 which alows you to have all the features of the lastest sony fw but also lets you play homebrew etc as well.

BC Bwoy
August 15th, 2007, 21:34
Thanks for taking the time to reply. If and when I can get a copy of lumines, I'll probably need some more help, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.