PDA

View Full Version : PSP SMS emulator V0.4

yoshihiro
June 14th, 2005, 04:21
...::::SMS PSP V0.4 ::::...

Released 14/06/05

Sega Master system & Gamegear emulator 0.4

Boutton :

L && R : For quit the emulator and return under the PSP OS .
TRIANGLE : used in game for returned under the browser and loaded a another game :)
CIRCLE : it's the boutton 2 of SMS paddle & GG
CROSS : it's the boutton 1 of SMS paddle & GG
START : Pause
SELECT : Sound on or Sound Off

New :
Sound Master system added
Sound GameGear added
2 background added an Gamegear and an master system .
and some Fixe .

..:::: For soon ::::..
Fixed the sound in 44100.
add The sega sg1000 support .
add the coleco support (it's a clone of the sg1000);

Background in game on Master system ;)
http://www.yoshihiro-dev.com/psp_dev/Screen_sms_emu_sms.jpg

Background in game on GameGear ;)
http://www.yoshihiro-dev.com/psp_dev/Screen_sms_emu_gg.jpg

download here : Sega master system and gamegear for psp V0.4 (http://www.yoshihiro-dev.com/psp_dev/PSP_sms_v0.4.rar)

..::Yoshihiro::..

wraggster
June 14th, 2005, 07:16
awesome release :) :)

plays excellent

ive also updated my mirror page here http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/smspsp.shtml

Thanks for realeasing a great emulator :)

wraggster
June 14th, 2005, 07:24
Posted to the PSP Wiki as well. :)

yoshihiro
June 14th, 2005, 11:11
hi wraggster & thank's for your news ;) .

..:: Yoshihiro ::..

leggy
June 14th, 2005, 11:58
Looks great to me!!

melvin
June 14th, 2005, 18:03
there is some homebrew or emulator runnig on 1.5 version?

wraggster
June 14th, 2005, 20:04
colecovision is clone of the sg1000 ?

never knew that

kaneco
June 14th, 2005, 21:51
how do i make that work on the psp?

isn't there instructions some of the ones that have instructions are in japanese?

lol:P

like this one

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/megadriveforpsp.shtml

wraggster
June 14th, 2005, 22:01
basically like all emulators

make a folder in the mem card where games folder is

call it psms for ease of remembering and stick roms in folder ;)

kaneco
June 14th, 2005, 22:20
i did it with version 0.4 inside PSMS folder which is inside games folder but it says corrupted data

wraggster
June 14th, 2005, 22:27
ill do a test now

shizzle
June 14th, 2005, 22:27
why does everyone have to pretende to be japanese like this guy, even if you were trying to you got it wrong because there is no c in japanese, sorry if you're not.

Thanks for the release anyway, i was just waitng for some sound on this one.

wraggster
June 14th, 2005, 22:28
actuallythe folder needs to be sms and its already that inthe zipfile so just copy acrosss

wraggster
June 14th, 2005, 22:32
just tried and it works perfect so just copy the sms folder from the zip into the games folder

kaneco
June 14th, 2005, 22:41
what zip file? when i download v. 04 it downloads the file and that's it

the link is this one

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/smspsp.shtml

the format of the file is .RAR

wraggster
June 14th, 2005, 23:24
well even if its a rar file its still zipped up, use a program called Winrar to Unzip the file.

kaneco
June 15th, 2005, 00:06
how do i make the games work i put the games in the roms folder but every time i start the emulator it gives me this message "the game could not be started. (80020001)"

shizzle
June 15th, 2005, 22:41
maybe mister "i think im japanese with my japanese style name" has version 1.50 or higher in which case i ll think youll find you will have to take a different course of action.

Shapermc
June 18th, 2005, 11:31
I am getting some really strange errors with the menu. I am running 1.50 on my PSP. But I get some really strange overlapping on the text of the menu. Also after I have switched games about 4 times or so I can no longer switch the games, they all will lock up then.

Anyways, the emulator works great when it is working and I have not heard anyone else complain about these things, so perhaps I did something wrong.

Anyways, thanks for the hard work.

-Regards

Zeno
June 19th, 2005, 03:40
Your page says "Works on v1.0 psp only" but it does work with 1.50, just tested it.

wraggster
June 21st, 2005, 01:24
yeah i need to change all pages that say that.

this emu rocks because when you highlight the icon on the psp u get the mega col back ground

zektor
June 21st, 2005, 06:14
This emulator is fantastic. I have been such a huge fan of the SMS for years, and it is very nice to see that emulation on the PSP has gotten this good, this early on. The sound obviously needs some work, as do screen size adjustments and zip support. Ohh, and that very annoying menu bug :) But, great start!

ace3093
June 22nd, 2005, 19:38
Great emu! I had the same problem with the menu. When I tried to scroll down the page the screen overlaps on roms names.

Simon82
June 23rd, 2005, 11:35
First of all I'd like to thank the author of this emulator. The speed is perfect! But I hope that soon we will see improvement for sound that is not so perfect in terms of quality from the original.
I'd like to see centered image and the possibility to enlarge it from 100% to Full screen, maybe filtered? :o :o
I don't think that we'll need an overclock option for this emulator.

Bye. :)

Youdsie
June 25th, 2005, 00:51
yoshihiro, i was wondering how far you are in bringing game state saves out for your fabulous emulator? id love to be able to save some of the games that i loved playing when i was younger?

Cheers :)

parabolee
June 25th, 2005, 08:14
Incredible work! Really! Fantastic!

Two requests

1. Ability to make screen size at least twice as big (all the PSP EMU's need this)

2. Ability to Save states.

Once they are done this thing will be perfect!

Smiths
June 25th, 2005, 08:16
Yoshihiro- great EMU thanks!
However, there seems to be a bug with its file browser that effects other emulators.

The path used for the SMS emulator somehow becomes the "default" directory of several other emulators that use the Mirakichi browser (nester, rin, etc.)

this made me nervous when I loaded up RIN and it couldn't find my save games (it kept looking and writing into the SMS emulator folder)
Removing the SMS/GG emulator from my memory stick fixed the problem.

I don't know how these other emulators are relying on yours' directory.. but they are.

Weird.

shizzle
June 26th, 2005, 18:07
yea the file browser is fcked up/ It sort of blurs all the names once you scroll down a page. There could be potential in this emu if it was optimised, it already plays well.

bkdevart
June 26th, 2005, 18:24
Great emu. The only complaint I have is the fact that you HAVE to put the emu in the /game/sms folder (doom has a similiar requirement). Makes it hard to hide the corrupted data icon on my 1.50 :). Other than that, pretty damn sweet.

self0
June 27th, 2005, 17:45
yoshiro release another version of this emu :/
one with save states hehe

MarnieR
June 27th, 2005, 22:38
I love this emulator but much like many others... would love game saves and the menu bug fixed and then I believe it may be flawless unless you add the ability to assign the buttons for controller #2. Congrats to Yoshiro for holding the SMS'ers down!

djrobx
June 28th, 2005, 00:10
There's an easy fix for getting this SMS emulator to work with the "hide corrupted folder" exploit format and firmware 1.5. Open up the SMS emulator's eboot.php in a hex editor, and search for /psp/game. Replace with /psp/data. There are two of them, one for the backgrounds and another for the roms.

Apply the eboot with the exploiter normally. Then, on the stick, move the sms roms into /psp/data/sms/roms and the backgrounds into /psp/data/sms/backgrounds.

Thanks for the great emu. My biggest feature request (like others) is full screen scaling. The SMS should look particularly good since it's already somewhat widescreen (the SMS had huge borders on the top and bottom). The sound support seems to have some sort of buffering problem, although it's much better than no sound at all. I think the SMS might also benefit from a processor speed adjustment. Afterburner runs pretty slow, for example.

Ziim
June 28th, 2005, 03:38
This emu is pretty nice, anyway to stop the menu glitch!!! Cant find the games i want to play cause the names get all jacked up when i scroll down.

zektor
June 28th, 2005, 05:32
This emu is pretty nice, anyway to stop the menu glitch!!! Cant find the games i want to play cause the names get all jacked up when i scroll down.

This is actually a FEATURE! Since all SMS games are great, you don't need to see what you are selecting...just go for pot luck! :p

Ziim
June 28th, 2005, 06:07
[QUOTE]This is actually a FEATURE! Since all SMS games are great, you don't need to see what you are selecting...just go for pot luck!

OK. Any work around this FEATURE? There may be alot of good sms games, but when ya want to play somthin, and ya load 20 other games to find it, its a bit FRUSTRATING!

zektor
June 28th, 2005, 06:29
Just wait for an update. It's an obvious glitch, and I'm sure the author is aware of it. In the meantime, enjoy the best SMS/GG emulation we have on the PSP to date.

yoshihiro
June 28th, 2005, 12:24
Hi guy's thank for all your's message :) . i work on an update of sms emu & Gamegear with the megadrive support too :) . it's finish soon all work fine but i fixe some bug the sound is fixed too for the sms & GG . see you soon guy's :cool:

ganon
June 28th, 2005, 12:49
oh yeah cant wait for this
can u add in gui settings like uosnes so we can change buttons frameskip clock speed etc?

Simon82
June 28th, 2005, 14:58
Hi guy's thank for all your's message :) . i work on an update of sms emu & Gamegear with the megadrive support too :) . it's finish soon all work fine but i fixe some bug the sound is fixed too for the sms & GG . see you soon guy's :cool:

Please please.. will we have a scaling option to fit image to the screen? Maybe filtered? :p
I'd like to see it and like I've said I don't think we will need an overclock option.

Ziim
June 28th, 2005, 20:16
There is some slow down in games i have played. I think and overclock option would be nice. :) And for those who dont like to overclock, ya dont have to.

djrobx
June 28th, 2005, 20:51
Looking forward to the update, yoshihiro! :)

zektor
June 29th, 2005, 06:15
YES! I am extremely glad to hear you are actively working on the emulator. When I first heard of PSP emulation (that is emulators working on the PSP) I was so eager to see SMS emulation...more than anything. I'm very glad that the emulator does not exhibit certain glitches quite a few others do, such as the "shooting bases" glitch in Astro Warrior. It seems quite a few SMS emulators I have tested (between PC and Palm) exhibit that problem, which leads me to believe that the bad code had just been copied through various emulators. This emulator does not do that, and the compatibility rate is excellent! Surely Revive Zanoni!

Simon82
June 29th, 2005, 07:36
There is some slow down in games i have played. I think and overclock option would be nice. :) And for those who dont like to overclock, ya dont have to.
Well.. I think that the PSP hardware can handle easily an emulator of a 3,5mhz Z80 8bit cpu. If there's some slowdown we have to wait that the emulators will be optimized to a lower level. There're so many emulators for less powerful hardwares like the GBA that with a 16mhz cpu can run all the games for this platform with Drsms.
Overclock is not the way I'd like to see emulators for this wonderful and powerful machine.

djrobx
June 29th, 2005, 07:59
Yes, but clocking to 333mhz is an easy fix that can be implemented quickly. Optimizing the SMS emulator down to the point where it runs *everything* at 222mhz may take a long time. NesterJ doesn't even run all NES games at 222mhz with full speed. The GBA emulator seems to be using tile based emulation, which is much faster but with major compatibility consequeces.

I'd enable a 333mhz option now, optimize later. I usually play plugged in anyway.

Ziim
June 29th, 2005, 08:41
3 Cheers for 333mhz! :)

Simon82
June 29th, 2005, 20:35
It's an easy way to discharge easily our battery with the possibility that you can "damage" in some way your psp. I don't think that battery was the only problem to convince sony to lock cpu frequency at 222 mhz.
I've seen fast video emulation with this emulator and already now we don't need overclocking.

Ziim
June 30th, 2005, 03:26
The postings on sony's forums state that the only reason the clock was lowered to 222mhz was battery life! Grand Theft Auto has been rumored at running 333mhz. And the soon to be released new battery from Sony, also rumered to last about 3 times longer than the current battery. :) I love my PSP.

Simon82
June 30th, 2005, 07:42
The postings on sony's forums state that the only reason the clock was lowered to 222mhz was battery life! Grand Theft Auto has been rumored at running 333mhz. And the soon to be released new battery from Sony, also rumered to last about 3 times longer than the current battery. :) I love my PSP.
Every console that has lower cpu frequency can run easily emulators of 8bit cpu. From the GBA to Saturn to GP32 to Ngage.
I love the work done from Yoshiiro but I think that for all programmers, overclock is not the way to solve speed problems. I think they should take 222mhz like a standard.

expression
June 30th, 2005, 09:01
i wonder how much that battery is going to cost.....damn sony!

Ziim
July 1st, 2005, 07:53
Any news on the release date yet? :) For the new SMS Emu...

HitmanAD
July 1st, 2005, 15:09
Hey all!! I have the SMS 0.4 emu but my problem is that i'm unable to load any roms! I don't even see them in the roms folder!! I'm not sure what format the roms should be when putting them in there. Should they be ZIPs or .rom maybe .smd...i don't know. any suggestions??

Thanks!

djrobx
July 1st, 2005, 17:01
The roms should be in .SMS format. It expects the games to be in the /PSP/GAME/SMS folder, so when installing the eboot, do not use the hide option and specify SMS as the name.

I love the work done from Yoshiiro but I think that for all programmers, overclock is not the way to solve speed problems. If you think it's that easy to overcome speed issues, you can always try porting your own emulator. Mhz ratings aren't everything. In time coders will figure out the best ways to acheive common tasks like screen refreshing and outputting sound. Perhaps we'll get some snippets of MIPS code to assist. Again, the 333mhz is a good, quick *stop gap* measure until more is known about the hardware. You don't have to use it if you don't like it.

-- Rob

HitmanAD
July 1st, 2005, 18:06
Is this the same if I have v1.50??

MarnieR
July 3rd, 2005, 04:46
All I want is the menu not to blur then I'll be good!

Ziim
July 3rd, 2005, 06:03
That would be nice! No blur in the menu, 333mhz option, FULLSCREEN = practically perfect in every way :)

Ziim
July 6th, 2005, 08:10
This thread still alive?
Anyone know the release date on the next sms? It was announced over a week ago comming soon... I cant wait to see how its comming. :)

Youdsie
July 8th, 2005, 16:26
come on Yoshihiro, we are waiting in anticipation for this new emu release, can you give us some more insight into the specs for the new release at least, people are really itching for this man, prove you are the the genius that provided us with the best damn SMS emulation the psp could hold!

Cheers :)

ganon
July 8th, 2005, 20:16
I think he is busy working on the WAB Loader

Youdsie
July 15th, 2005, 18:12
Hey Yoshihiro, hows about an update on the progress of the V0.5, its bin nearly 3 weeks since we heard anything since this? dying to be able to save me games, the only thing stopping me from playing on it, COME ON YOSHIIIIII my HEEERO :)

MarnieR
July 16th, 2005, 03:51
This is my favorite system too I miss my old games... I want to take them with me everywhere!

Youdsie
July 20th, 2005, 16:01
Anyone, got any more info on this? its becoming depressing! :(

ataribob
July 20th, 2005, 23:46
How can anyone enjoy this tiny little screen.
All the other emulators let you change the size.

But to play this just a little bit bigger than 25 cent piece.

I don't believe it :mad:

ganon
July 25th, 2005, 16:01
There will be an update of this emu along with a new genesis after wab v3 is finished

Ziim
July 27th, 2005, 07:00
:( Is this emu alive? No news for weeks? :confused:

Youdsie
August 1st, 2005, 16:23
any more news on this??? is the WAB loader finished yet? really dying to play on this, or even a genesis emulator that supports SMS games? really hope Yoshihiro can pull this one out of the hat for all us grateful peeps, CMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ganon
August 1st, 2005, 18:08
nope

aseddon130
August 4th, 2005, 01:21
ive given up on this ... but saying that the emulator was in good form as it was anyways, full screen support would have been nice though!!! :D

ataribob
August 4th, 2005, 14:20
whats good about a screen no bigger than a US 50cent piece.
It sux's.

Ziim
August 4th, 2005, 18:56
Yea and the menu is bugged real bad. Wheres the update? Fullscreen, Menu Fixed and Overclock then its perfect. Please SMS/GG Emu dont die on me...

storum
August 11th, 2005, 23:49
please, i love master system... dont die this thread and lets go release yoshiro. :)

MarnieR
August 13th, 2005, 06:50
I'm still here uppin' for an updated version! Patiently!! :D

Youdsie
August 21st, 2005, 18:45
Anyone, gonna be updated a SMS emulator? or know of a Genesis emulator that will run SMS roms? please post here or pm me?

WrathOfSnoopy
August 21st, 2005, 22:43
I cant get the game gear em on my psp i dont know what to do with a .rar file hellllllpppp please

PSP_Newbie
August 22nd, 2005, 04:43
well, never tried the game gear emu, but it should be like all other emus, so read up a guide on Homebrew on a 1.5 PSP, if u have a higher version, ie: 1.51, 1.52, or 2.00, then no homebrew application will work. As for a .rar file, its the extension of compression used with Winrar, sorta like Winzip and .zip, of which u can get a fully working trial version here (http://www.win-rar.com/)

WrathOfSnoopy
August 23rd, 2005, 08:30
awesome i will tryh that

ataribob
August 24th, 2005, 04:46
Why can't he at least let us change the SCREEN SIZE.

It's no fun playing the newest translation of "Shining Force Final Conflict" on a tiny tiny screen.

Stuck with playing it on my Pocket PC.

asterothjames
October 27th, 2005, 23:20
dude calm down i wanna see this completed as much as the next guy but programming takes time and programmers have lives outside this aswell ya know

ataribob
October 28th, 2005, 01:10
The so called programmer just took the source and recomplied it.
Prob used PSPide C++ 1.0.8.30.

That's not programming.

And it's been 3 months since I offered him $$ to do it

ArchAngel
October 28th, 2005, 05:04
The only reason that emulators should have to use 333mhz is because of the emulation. Writing code that is dealing with different hardware takes up 10x more power to get at normal speed. Now if games were designed to use the PSPs hardware profile, then definately there would be no problem with using 222mhz. Look at the SNES... It was released what... like 12 years ago with crude efforts and shitty hardware and the PSP cant play games full speed yet at 222mhz. If programmers find a way to utilize what is in the PSP, such as the graphical interface (Which would be like making an entirely new game like Dual Tetris) then we would see results like no other.

Sabe002
November 6th, 2005, 18:18
There's an easy fix for getting this SMS emulator to work with the "hide corrupted folder" exploit format and firmware 1.5. Open up the SMS emulator's eboot.php in a hex editor, and search for /psp/game. Replace with /psp/data. There are two of them, one for the backgrounds and another for the roms.

Apply the eboot with the exploiter normally. Then, on the stick, move the sms roms into /psp/data/sms/roms and the backgrounds into /psp/data/sms/backgrounds.

Thanks for the great emu. My biggest feature request (like others) is full screen scaling. The SMS should look particularly good since it's already somewhat widescreen (the SMS had huge borders on the top and bottom). The sound support seems to have some sort of buffering problem, although it's much better than no sound at all. I think the SMS might also benefit from a processor speed adjustment. Afterburner runs pretty slow, for example.

What is a hex editor? IS that where you replace the Game folder with Data? Can you dumb down your directions? ;)

ganon
November 6th, 2005, 20:11
Knowing yoshi rep I doubt well see a update

H3NCH
November 6th, 2005, 21:20
this emulator does only 1 thing for me that is that is nice to be able to hear the Alex Kidd soundtrack but the only other things this person has done is move the sms screen to the bottom of the psp's screen and add a background, which in my view makes the emulator worse.. well at least you get to remove the background

What this guy should really do is make you able to save the game (Alex Kidd is really hard) and enlarge the screen

ganon
November 7th, 2005, 18:15
I dont believe it. I eat my words. Its been updated
http://www.sonyxteam.com/

iball
November 7th, 2005, 18:20
I dont believe it. I eat my words. Its been updated
http://www.sonyxteam.com/
Yes, but there's something fishy about it. He says he's using "closed source" from another program but the port is listed no where on the program's list of "official" ports and the author even stated he isn't releasing the source code. And Yoshi doesn't even both to credit the original author by NAME (again...). And he's thanking all kinds of different people over on ps2dev.org yet he only has something like 15 entire posts there and nothing to do with this port. Ok, he might have just kept it on the "down low" with PMs and instant messenger, so that's possible.
Sounds to me like he somehow got a hold of the original source code without the original author's knowledge and ported it without permission.
I could be wrong, so someone feel free to show me where I'm wrong.

Freakshow!
December 10th, 2005, 14:51
This is awesome. My good old Sega Games, but without the 6 battery problem. Thank You to Yoshira.

PSP FR34K
April 4th, 2009, 12:28
Does It Work On 5.03 Ofw?!