PDA

View Full Version : Brick Help

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 1st, 2007, 22:26
I have recently replaced some flash0 files with new ones for custom xmbs. Then i bricked it. Can anyone help me. i am very desperate for help.

V3N0M
July 1st, 2007, 22:29
What firmware do you have? I assume you have 3.40OE-A correct?

Triv1um
July 1st, 2007, 22:32
yes, read his sig.

Did you make a backup of your resource folder?

V3N0M
July 1st, 2007, 22:48
yes, read his sig.

Yea I noticed his sig after I asked that.. :rolleyes:

Anyways here’s what you can do..

A: Re-flash your PSP with fresh 3.40OE-A flash

1. Access your recovery mode by holding the "R" trigger on start up.
2. Go to option “Advanced”
3. Toggle USB Flash0 & delete the flash and replace with fresh 3.40OE-A flash0.
4. Toggle USB Flash1 & delete the flash and replace with fresh 3.40OE-A flash1.
5. This is probably the easier solution hopefully this will fix your PSP.

B: Recovering PSP back to 1.5 and then back to 3.40OE-A

1. Access your recovery mode by holding the "R" trigger on start up.
2. Get an official 1.5 eboot.
3. Rename the 1.5 eboot to "UPDATE".
4. Put it in PSP/GAME/RECOVERY folder.
5. Make sure your battery is charged and plugged into the power cord.
6. From the recovery menu go to option "Run Program at /PSP/GAME/RECOVERY/EBOOT.PBP".
7. This will downgrade you back to 1.5 and recover your PSP.
8. From 1.5 upgrade back to 3.40OE-A.
9. Your PSP should be back to normal, next time be careful when flashing your PSP. ;)

C: Recovering PSP back to 3.40OE-A from 3.40OE-A

1. There is also a way to recovery your PSP back to 3.40OE-A from the recovery menu using the DATA.DXAR you created when first upgrading to 3.40OE-A. But I wouldn’t suggest using this method. At least not from me anyway as I haven’t tried recovery a PSP this way.

Hopefully this solves your problem otherwise you can contact me via MSN if you need more help. :cool:

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 1st, 2007, 23:38
the r plus on doesnt work. and its fully charged. i have version 3.40 oe-a. or did! oi. so i cant access the recovery menu.

V3N0M
July 1st, 2007, 23:45
You’re not able to enter recovery mode? Hard power off the PSP, then hold the "R" trigger on start up to enter the recovery mode.

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 1st, 2007, 23:50
does taking the battery out help. cuz me done that.

V3N0M
July 1st, 2007, 23:56
No you don't need to take the battery out. Hard powering off is just holding up the power button for about 10 seconds until the PSP completely shuts down. Once the PSP is off, try powering it back on while holding the 'R' trigger. Your PSP should then enter recovery mode. But if you can't enter recovery mode then your PSP may be bricked beyond repair by means of the recovery. Which is nearly impossible to fully brick your PSP while running 3.40OE-A.

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 1st, 2007, 23:58
oh dang not working when i turn on the screen isnt even on. and turns off after a few seconds.

parkermauney
July 2nd, 2007, 00:08
Try leaving the battery out for a few hours, then try and get to recovery mode.

It's very unusual to get a full brick from editing resource files.

V3N0M
July 2nd, 2007, 00:13
Hey try hitting the brightness button after holding the 'R' trigger on start up. It’s possible he may have a Ta-082 or higher hardware model with that brightness issue when entering recovery or having the power cord plugged in while in recovery.

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 2nd, 2007, 00:13
not just resource but i replaced kn files and a font file

parkermauney
July 2nd, 2007, 00:14
Ahhh, kn files can do it.

Just do what I said about the battery.

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 2nd, 2007, 00:15
and i do have a ta-082 sorry for not specifing

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 2nd, 2007, 00:15
ill try the battery thing

parkermauney
July 2nd, 2007, 00:19
Afterwards, when you try and boot up, press the brightness button if the screen's black.

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 2nd, 2007, 00:22
ok thanks any other suggestions before i through this at the wall. (jk)

V3N0M
July 2nd, 2007, 00:22
and i do have a ta-082 sorry for not specifing

Well it’s possible you may be entering recovery but the screen turns off once you’re in it. This is one of the issues some TA-082 and higher models have after downgrading and upgrading to custom firmware. So hitting the brightness button a few times might turn the screen on and you could find yourself in the recovery menu. It’s worth a shot, otherwise just go with parkermauney’s idea and hope for the best.

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 2nd, 2007, 00:29
i guess that im going to have to hope for the best.:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(but i am still up to any sugg that anyone has.

mcdougall57
July 2nd, 2007, 01:21
are you definitely sure you have 3.40 oe cause it dont sond like it and if its a semi-bricked non oe psp theres not much you can do and are you sure you have a functioning r button or are holding it in the full time while it powers on instead of just pressing it. if you have fully wiped the flash0 there is nothing you can do or to be more specific what have you messed with in flash0?

parkermauney
July 2nd, 2007, 01:33
He said some resource files, font files, and kn/ files.

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 2nd, 2007, 01:51
i am 10000000000000% sure i have 3.40 oe-a.

mcdougall57
July 2nd, 2007, 01:58
oh sorry i was looking at page 2 and thought it was page one what a crappy noob mistake, well if thats all youve messed with it should only be a semi brick and then you should be able to access the recovery menu and fix it up but your also having trouble with that aswell, hmmmmm... i thought even a semi brick came up with the sony entertainment screen or at least something when it tried to boot up not just a black screen then turns off, sounds like a full brick to me but dont give up and keep trying their fixes.

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 2nd, 2007, 02:00
crap

Nicko01
July 2nd, 2007, 02:10
SOLUTIONS:
Undiluted Platinum (send to www.chicagogamewerks.com for a cheap install)
Devolution

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 2nd, 2007, 02:13
Great idea. i already thought of that and i think it is still very expensive. So i cant afford it. Does it include the chip. Then 65$ would be really good. But i think thats just to have it installed.

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 3rd, 2007, 17:40
I now think that i am doing a 15$ unbrick service.

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 4th, 2007, 00:16
ouch, guy emailed me back and said it would be $100 For a new mother board

parkermauney
July 4th, 2007, 00:30
Gah, just get a new psp.

Or try installing the chip yourself. (Not compatible with ta-082's though. :( )

The devolution chip is though.

mcdougall57
July 4th, 2007, 02:11
try installing the chip himself!! even seasoned modders hate installing this chip

h4s30
July 4th, 2007, 06:08
he full bricked???
no way just messing with the psp's look???
actually I've heard 3.40 oe is a lil unstable am I wrong???

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 4th, 2007, 15:19
yup, im the total idiot that accedentaly replaced a kn file. It was ****ed up... bad. And i was very mad. Now I am the poor kid telling my parents i broke my psp and i need $60 to fix it.(i found a new way). Just look up PSP service on ebay and someone in the uk will unbrick your psp without even opening it up. not like i havent or anything.

sukhi-2006
July 7th, 2007, 23:46
my psp is bricked i want to know how to reflash with fw 3.40 how do i delete the flash 0 and 1.

parkermauney
July 8th, 2007, 00:02
Deleting flash0 and 1 would brick it even more and not help at all.

sukhi-2006
July 8th, 2007, 13:30
what shall i do to make it work.

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 8th, 2007, 17:39
This guy is the bomb. He has fixed my ds before and he can help my psp too! All i have to do is give him the devolution chip and my psp and his installation will be free!!! Anyone want to give me a free Devolution? lol

eyeinpalm
July 9th, 2007, 07:44
ok so I know I screwed up...

i was changing around my top menus and I was running into some problems so I went to my backup folder to replace the whole resource folder and start over...

apparently i made a backup of the wrong flash0 folder?? because im seeing files in this folder that are different than the ones im used to seeing from editing the themes...

I need a copy of someone's original 3.40 OE-A flash0 and flash1 folders. If I could get those I might be ok. well maybe.. the next part has me worried.

I tried running the recovery program in the recovery menu AFTER placing the 1.5 eboot into the psp/game/recovery folder and renaming it UPDATE; the only thing that happened was the screen turned black for about 10 seconds then turned off. Now it wont boot to the sony screen anymore, I can only get into the recovery menu, but it seems to work normally, save the part I just mentioned.

so... yea. I really need that original 3.40 OE-A flash0 and flash1 folder if anyone could upload it and send me a link or pm me for my email I would worship the ground you walk on for at least a week.

please god dont be bricked...
and wtf man how lame is that? backing up the wrong flash0 folder... why are there even 2 with the same damned name anyways... ugh

falco216
July 9th, 2007, 15:07
if you put someone else's flash0 on any your psp it will brick it

eyeinpalm
July 9th, 2007, 18:21
well.. i think it might be too late for that lol. ever since I tried to run the recovery program from the recovery menu it's been bricked. what a great recovery... :rofl:

and to those of you wondering how I can laugh after bricking, it's called detatchment and buddha says its a good thing.

anyhoo.... anyone know what firmware a new retail psp has on board? i might just do the walmart swapparoo dance... buy a new one, return the old one in its box saying it doesnt work... voila new psp :)

has anyone tried this? feedback?

parkermauney
July 9th, 2007, 18:36
I've done that at bestbuy, but I had an extended warranty.

Man
July 9th, 2007, 18:58
If the old switcher-ooo doesnt work, would you consider donating your PSP to a good cause ? like my psp redistrobution center, this is where i take bricked psps and give the parts away, all shipping costs come out of my pocket, and im looking for people willing to donate psps that are bricked or broken.

eyeinpalm
July 9th, 2007, 19:09
well wamlart doesnt do the extended warranty thing i dont think... but they are plenty dumb as a corporation so idk, it might work.

i'll try it later today and post the results.
thanks for the help tho, guys.

mebbe next time I'll backup the correct folder and bypass this mess.

namaste.

eyeinpalm
July 9th, 2007, 22:00
ok so it might be a couple days before i can get around to it...

:cool:

cyclonus002
July 9th, 2007, 22:05
Ive done this before...started messing around with the psp's flash until i really screwed it up when i realized i did'nt back up my files...but using recovery menu...i reflashed 1.5 and back up to 3.40 oe... Are you sure you know how to enter the recovery menu?

eyeinpalm
July 10th, 2007, 00:23
coldboot holding the R button yea im sure.
thats the only way it'll do anything now.

can anyone tell me why it is that using someone else's flash0 folder bricks? is there unit-specific information like the mac address or serial # embedded in the folder or something?

idk... doesnt matter.
itsa paperweight.

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 10th, 2007, 02:05
or u can unbrick it for 60 dollars if walmart is no good.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PSP-Unbricking-bricked-repair-Service_W0QQitemZ280131969037QQihZ018QQcategoryZ75 556QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

on ebay and they will unbrick 4 you

parkermauney
July 10th, 2007, 03:01
The reason you can't use another flash0 is because the files are sign checked specifically for your psp. The resource files are OK, though.

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 10th, 2007, 16:15
that is pretty interesting. Isnt it

eyeinpalm
July 10th, 2007, 22:21
so does anyone have a copy of the original 3.40 OE-A flash0/vsh/resource folder?

Chameleon
July 10th, 2007, 22:38
so does anyone have a copy of the original 3.40 OE-A flash0/vsh/resource folder?

cant distrubte that here

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 11th, 2007, 03:29
ooh really? Why not? its not piracy.

eyeinpalm
July 11th, 2007, 21:18
so parkermauney sent me the resource folder, and I dropped it into the flash.

But now it shows the sony splash(which it wouldnt do before), briefly shows the XMB on default settings, then goes to a blue screen in all the languages that says "Setting information is corrupted. Press Circle button to repair and restore default settings."

When I hit circle the screen goes black and after 20-30 seconds it turns off.

Any idea what I should do?

I do still have the 1.5 eboot on the memory card as UPDATE.PBP, would running the recovery program help?

eyeinpalm
July 11th, 2007, 21:25
ok so i tried running the recovery program and got the same result as when I hit circle to repair from the blue screen as mentioned before... so... yea.

any thoughts?

thanks again, btw, to Parker for sendin me the folder.

parkermauney
July 11th, 2007, 22:00
Shh... Keep it on teh dl.

When the screen goes black, press the brightness button.

eyeinpalm
July 12th, 2007, 02:17
well... I managed the ol switcheroo at the local wally world and found out that new psp's come with 3.11 on them. luckily a friend of mine manages a game stop and he will trade me the brand new one for a used one @ his store that has an older OS so yay. looks like I'll be downgrading from 3.03 within the next day or so and will be back up in 3.4 OE in no time.

thanks to all you guys for your help, especially mr. parker who's been invaluable in my efforts here.

namaste.

btw as for the ol switcheroo at wallymart...
u hafta switch the serial#'s from the bottom of the units if u attempt this route, as that is the # that they match from the box. be careful with the stickers as they show abuse easily. i went as far as to apply a very small amount of glue to the sticker so it would stick to the returning PSP.

sorry if this post offends anyone... but walmart is evil

parkermauney
July 12th, 2007, 04:59
I did that exact same thing for my psp. It had extended warranty, but my lil sis's had 2.8, so I switched and dg'd. It bricked, so I switched the stickers, got a new 2.71.

W00T!

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 14th, 2007, 14:46
YAY for you. Im screw so i have to get a devolution. Anyone no where to get one cheap!

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 16th, 2007, 20:20
this might be a very cheap solution if i am right
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68800