PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast Keyboard Help

nate9999
July 3rd, 2007, 08:51
I inquired about this some time ago and the only suggestions i recieved were to buy an adaptor or similar devices. I have no credit card and no money at the moment, plus I just feel like being crafty.

I wish to convert a regular PC keyboad to a DC keyboard by chopping the end of a controller and a keyboard and splicing the wires together. I have a controller and keyboard i don't mind sparing. Can this be done this way? If not, what more would it take to get the job done for free.

Thanks for any help

Cast128dreams
July 14th, 2007, 19:02
No way man.One of friends cut the end of the Dreamcast controller and he tried to conect it with a mouse.
Finally he managed to destroy the Dreamcast controller port.Lucky he had a broken Dreamcast and he replaced it

Xiaopang
July 14th, 2007, 19:16
Yes way...if that wasn't possible, then there wouldn't be any adaptors for this kind of connection. Sorry, but your friend was just dumb. You can establish a connection like nate9999 and your friend wanted to do, but there's more necessary than just connecting the right wires. When you connect peripherals to the DC it realizes that and not opnly that, it also knows what kind of hardware you plugged in. A normal PC-Keyboard doesn't send that information, or at least not in a DC-compatible way and there's where the problem is. You have to translate the format of the keyboard's bus into the one the Maple bus uses. Can't be that hard. Someone with such an adaptor and some technical knowledge could easily disassemble it and create a wiring diagram, so others could build their own adaptors.

Cast128dreams
August 1st, 2007, 00:48
wow!!!!!!!!