July 5th, 2007, 02:23
http://www.youtube.com/v/V-6-l5TlwYE

=========
QDS.Arena - Final
by x999x
=========

3 - 2 - 1

F I G H T ! ! !

Rocket Arena comes to the DS! Fast Fragging action in a last-man-standing, or free for all environment.

============
REQUIREMENTS
============

A full version of Quake is required to play All Mods

============
INSTALLATION
============

Place: qdsopts.txt
In to the Root of your Flashcard

Place the folder: omicron
In to the Root of your Flashcard

Example:

/
/omicron
/id1
quakeDS.nds

===============
STARTING A GAME
===============

When Quake DS is launched, you will be brought to a Que station to select your game type using the A and B buttons.

GAME TYPES
---------------
B: Rocket Arena
A: Death Match
---------------

RocketArena:
Prepare for fast and furios 1v1 fragging in tight quarters. Players start off with full armor, full health, full ammo and weapons in a fight to the finish!

Death Match:
How long can you survive? Welcome to XP Load Zone, a unique fight to the finish on a map filled with corridors, wide open areas, and no health or items. Players recieve backpacks upon spawning, each with their own weapon or bonus, forcing players have to kill eachother for control over the weapons in their backpacks!

Once Started:
Once you have selected a game type, you will need to add a bot to begin playing. Each bot has it's own playstyle, and therefore it's encouraged that you add/remove the bot until one spawns with a playstyle that provides enjoyment.

BOT BUTTONS
-------------
x: Add Bot
A: Remove Bot
-------------

============
ROCKET ARENA
============

BUTTONS
--------------
Y: Weapon Up
B: Weapon Down
--------------

MAPS
--------------
Deathbox RA
Devise RA
Frag Limit 10
--------------

===========
DEATH MATCH
===========

BUTTONS
--------------
Y: Weapon Up
B: Weapon Down
--------------

MAP
----------------
XP Load Zone
Frag Limit 10
----------------

Credits:
Quake DS - SimonjHall - http://quake.drunkencoders.com/
Omicron Bots - Mr.Elusive
RA Maps & PAK - x999x
DM Map (XPloadzone) - Randal (Blindtypist)

Sir_Voe
July 7th, 2007, 02:04
I'm not able to get this version running. I have followed the instructons, placing the folder and the txt file on the root, and I get the regular Necropolis intro when I boot it. Then when I begin the game, I get as far as

"replacing existing lower sky
replacing existing upper sky
server loading models...
cache_tryalloc: 137680 is greater than free hunk, 1392 free"

then it freezes. I noticed there was no "id1" folder in the "Omicron" folder, so I tried creating one and placing the included "pak0.pak" inside, but that didn't work either. Thanks for your hard work, I look forward to a solution.

Mr_Biggs
July 7th, 2007, 02:07
i'd love to play this man, but i cant get quake pre2 to load on my DS anymore! it freezes at "freeing precaches". i've DILI patched it for my M3 Perfect SD, double checked my folders and directories, and I have them all in order. i have the config.cfg file in ID1, and quakeds.nds in the root. WTF is up?

x999x
July 7th, 2007, 03:43
I'm not able to get this version running. I have followed the instructons, placing the folder and the txt file on the root, and I get the regular Necropolis intro when I boot it. Then when I begin the game, I get as far as

"replacing existing lower sky
replacing existing upper sky
server loading models...
cache_tryalloc: 137680 is greater than free hunk, 1392 free"

then it freezes. I noticed there was no "id1" folder in the "Omicron" folder, so I tried creating one and placing the included "pak0.pak" inside, but that didn't work either. Thanks for your hard work, I look forward to a solution.

Hi,

There shouldn't be an ID1 folder inside of Omicron.

First make sure you're using the correct files from this final version.

Next, make sure to copy over the new files, including qdsopts.txt, this is very important. In fact, please open the qdsopts.txt file and make sure it looks like this:

-game
omicron
+maxplayers
+map
dbra

Just like that, including a blank line underneath omicron. I just checked the distro pak and it's all correct here, so maybe you're still using the old file which was actually incorrect.

If you still have problems, post here and we'll figure this out. I'm fairly certain it's the qdsopt.txt file, that's what initiates the game, and before I figured this out I was manually overiding the default pak files with mine to force the mod to start.

Please use these new files, it's a much cleaner way to play, and it keeps your original game intact.

x999x
July 7th, 2007, 04:09
i'd love to play this man, but i cant get quake pre2 to load on my DS anymore! it freezes at "freeing precaches". i've DILI patched it for my M3 Perfect SD, double checked my folders and directories, and I have them all in order. i have the config.cfg file in ID1, and quakeds.nds in the root. WTF is up?

Hi,

Please delete your quake .sav file, and try a freshly patched Quake pre2 again. I've noticed that old .sav files can actually affect some games. In example my nesDS wouldn't save even though dldi was added. Deleting my older .sav file fixed it, maybe you'll have similar luck.

Sir_Voe
July 7th, 2007, 23:07
Alright, I deleted the old txt file and folder from my card and re-downloaded. I made sure I used the appropriate txt file and still no luck. It froze right where it did last time. I'm using an R4, and I have had no problems with previous versions of your mod. The vid looks awesome BTW, can't wait to try it.

x999x
July 8th, 2007, 00:21
Alright, I deleted the old txt file and folder from my card and re-downloaded. I made sure I used the appropriate txt file and still no luck. It froze right where it did last time. I'm using an R4, and I have had no problems with previous versions of your mod. The vid looks awesome BTW, can't wait to try it.

I see what I did, I had dqdsopts.txt in the installer, and not qdsopts.txt. I was testing commandlines and accidentally put the wrong one into the zip you downloaded :eek:

SORRY

Please download this LAST one, I GUARANTEE it will work or I'll eat my hat!

The correct Qdsopts.txt reads:

-game
omicron
+maxplayers
+map
dbra

Which is much different than what was previously packaged.

GoGo!

Mr_Biggs
July 8th, 2007, 01:22
Hi,

Please delete your quake .sav file, and try a freshly patched Quake pre2 again. I've noticed that old .sav files can actually affect some games. In example my nesDS wouldn't save even though dldi was added. Deleting my older .sav file fixed it, maybe you'll have similar luck.

I don't have any saves in my ID1 directory. The only thing that i know has changed is that im using a different SD card. all i have is the DILI patched quake pre2 in the root, the ID1 folder (which contains the pak files, and the config.cfg file from simon) in the root. I still get the freeze on "freeing precaches". this is really starting to piss me off, cause that youtube vid has me wanting to play this mod real bad. :D

Thanks for your help!

simonjhall
July 8th, 2007, 01:25
Do you get the freeing precaches message when you're playing regular single player quake? If so, PM me and we'll sort something out (there seems to be a lingering bug which I'm working through with someone else)

@x999x, so what's next? Any more mod plans? (please)

Mr_Biggs
July 8th, 2007, 02:26
sent a PM just before your message, mate. yeah, i cant even get the single player version of quake to run. and if i try to run the mod, i get a screen with the words "omicron bots" on two lines at the top of the screen.

@x999x: if you really want to wow the mod community, make a clone of the Black Mesa reception area. ;D i know that involves new textures and soldier models, but that would really make your place in the mod community. not that Rocket Arena didnt.

x999x
July 8th, 2007, 04:00
Do you get the freeing precaches message when you're playing regular single player quake? If so, PM me and we'll sort something out (there seems to be a lingering bug which I'm working through with someone else)

@x999x, so what's next? Any more mod plans? (please)

Mr.Hall,

I have RailArena ready to release, but I'm hesitant until people can get this one working correctly :P As for the precache error, I honestly don't play single player so I can only say I haven't experienced it the times I dabbled with it. With regards to the mods, I ran into errors loading the sky on XPLoadzone when the frag limit was hit. The error messoage would say the it needed XXX more ram to fill but only had YYY available and would halt arm7. I found that I would not run in to this bug if I changed game modes before loading the new map. I don't know what that does, maybe clears the cache or something, but I've never run into the problem since. If you'd like to try and reproduce some of those cache errors, try loading the omicron bots from my modpak into a regular e1m2 map. I forgot which one it was, but you'll get a crash every time it gets to that blasted sky texture or model.

@Mr.Biggs

When I say save state, I am referring to the actual quakeds.sav file that your R4 or what-have-you would make upon running Quake the first time.

Now, make sure you have the last and final installer files of this modpak found above. There should be one folder named omicron, and a qdsopts.txt file which you place in the root of your flashcard. You will also need your standard ID1 folder in the root of your flashcard with pak0.pak and pak1.pak (registered version).

Now, make sure your qdsopts.txt reads as follows:

-game
omicron
+maxplayers
+map
dbra

Also make sure there is a blank line under "dbra", you can tell if there's a blank line there if you can see a cursor when you click there.

Now, again, make sure you have no quakeds.sav file, and fire up quakeds. You *should* be taken to the que area of the mod.

/crosses fingers

guttertalk
July 8th, 2007, 04:42
This final release worked like a charm for me: I copied the qdsopts.txt, the new omnicron/pak0.pak, and deleted the quakeds.sav.

This release appeared to fix the problem of resetting the attack binding.

Bring on RailArena! :)

FWIW, I'm running this on M3 Simply DS with the latest firmware. I don't even have to patch the DLDI thanks to the autopatching.

Sir_Voe
July 8th, 2007, 07:41
Great! I just edited the txt file (gotta love DSOrganize) to what it was supposed to be and it's running now. I guess your hat is safe this time.
The AI really shines on the new levels. I think an arcade mode would suit the 1 on 1 play style well, with a new, more skilled bot being swapped in at the end of each round. Thanks again for putting this together, I look forward to your next release.

simonjhall
July 8th, 2007, 11:30
Ok, I'll test in a bit to see why the sky doesn't load on regular maps. Although tbh I doubt it's a problem with the sky, as that shouldn't take any memory! (or does it...?)
Anyway, these omicron bots do take a lot of memory, so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't fit well with the regular levels.

To any other people who are getting crashes which don't have desciptive messages (for instance that weird precaches message), please get in touch.

Also, I posted this on gbadev - if anyone has an old copy of the first Quake mission pack, care to send it my way? I can't seem to get hold of it for decent money.

EDIT: I've found out why the sky wasn't loading - basically you've run out of memory by this point. It's not a problem with the sky, but the loading of the lightmaps for the world...

Hyrule_boy
July 8th, 2007, 13:27
Ok, I'll test in a bit to
Also, I posted this on gbadev - if anyone has an old copy of the first Quake mission pack, care to send it my way? I can't seem to get hold of it for decent money.

Do you mean you need Quake's .pak files?

simonjhall
July 8th, 2007, 14:07
I want to add support for the first official Quake mission pack, Scourge of Armagon, made by Hipnotic.
I've got the second mission pack, so don't need that...

Mr_Biggs
July 10th, 2007, 00:44
@Mr.Biggs

When I say save state, I am referring to the actual quakeds.sav file that your R4 or what-have-you would make upon running Quake the first time.

My M3 Perfect SD only needs save files if a game or homebrew file uses SRAM. and that file isnt created unless i make it. but i got hold of simon, and we've established that... something... is buggy. but i managed to play QDSRA, and i am really impressed. now we just need to wait for simon to get us some blood up in this thing!

x999x
July 10th, 2007, 01:01
My M3 Perfect SD only needs save files if a game or homebrew file uses SRAM. and that file isnt created unless i make it. but i got hold of simon, and we've established that... something... is buggy. but i managed to play QDSRA, and i am really impressed. now we just need to wait for simon to get us some blood up in this thing!

Or the sound bytes at the begining of each RA matchup:

3-2-1-FIGHT!!!

Simon got it working, just waiting on a new QDS release :) :) I reckon we'll see it once he sorts out the Xpansion pack project.

/crosses fingers

simonjhall
July 10th, 2007, 08:00
i got hold of simon...!Nice.
Btw, an M3 will be fine for the big RAM build. It's EZ-flash you want to worry about, as I'm thinking of dropping support for that.

Simon got it working, just waiting on a new QDS release I reckon we'll see it once he sorts out the Xpansion pack project.I can't remember, did I send you that sound-playing build in the end?
And yeah I'll release it in conjunction with some kind of major feature, eg the RAM build.

EDIT: and blood? How does that work? Are there shit-loads of red particles on the PC version or something?

x999x
July 11th, 2007, 01:09
I can't remember, did I send you that sound-playing build in the end?
And yeah I'll release it in conjunction with some kind of major feature, eg the RAM build.

EDIT: and blood? How does that work? Are there shit-loads of red particles on the PC version or something?

I didn't get that, it's probably because we post here and at gbadev, which is where I PM'd ya my email addy. No rush, I put audio over the game sounds in my video so noone would notice them missing, which is what I was going to use that special build for basically.

I'll take a look in my archives for that expansion pack, I remember having all of them at one point in time.

Mr_Biggs
July 11th, 2007, 03:11
Nice.
Btw, an M3 will be fine for the big RAM build. It's EZ-flash you want to worry about, as I'm thinking of dropping support for that.

Awesome. every man always needs a little more RAM power. ;)

Yeah, the blood is just red particles that pop up when an enemy is shot and they stream after flying chunks of gibs. makes for a good effect.

iso jussi
July 14th, 2007, 16:35
I won't bother to find that official QuakeDS topic, so I will ask here.

Is it possible to switch the touch-screen aiming to be controlled by ABXY -buttons?

chemical
July 14th, 2007, 17:45
^ yes it is.

Hey I wanted to ask, is there anyway to have this cool MOD but seperate from the regular QuakeDS, when I added it, it ****ed up my regular single player, and I have to delete all traces of it to get the QuakeDS back to normal, via hex editor or something can I have it seek out other files and then copy my id1 folder and rename everything?

Thanks

iso jussi
July 14th, 2007, 18:01
Then would you bother to tell me how?

chemical
July 15th, 2007, 04:26
.......ok. The reason I didn't is because I assumed you hadn't used it yet, if you had, and have used any other games in the past, you'd simply see you go to options > controls...

simonjhall
July 15th, 2007, 11:13
Then would you bother to tell me how?Hiya, it's pretty easy. If you go to the key configuration page of QDS there should be options for look up/down. To look left and right just bind the buttons for turn left/right...

I can't remember if I took out the look up/down button mappings though...

<snip>What exactly is your question? Both the mod and the proper game should be in separate directories - if you want to get rid of the mod, just delete the directory. There should be no need at all to use a hex editor ;-)

iso jussi
July 15th, 2007, 11:57
Thanks, Simon.

And is there any hypotetical date for that big RAM -build?

I hope that didn't sound too pushy.

chemical
July 15th, 2007, 15:45
Hiya, it's pretty easy. If you go to the key configuration page of QDS there should be options for look up/down. To look left and right just bind the buttons for turn left/right...

I can't remember if I took out the look up/down button mappings though...

What exactly is your question? Both the mod and the proper game should be in separate directories - if you want to get rid of the mod, just delete the directory. There should be no need at all to use a hex editor ;-)

Hey thanks for the help but that isn't exactly what I meant, they're seperate physical files alright, but when I start QuakeDS. I can no longer use the regular Quake single player, I can only use the deathmatch. And after fiddling the only way to get back the original quake is to totally remove this mod, so I was asking if there's a way to make it seperate? so I have QuakeDS.nds and QuakeDeathmatchDS.nds for example.

With Doom it was thought you could only use 1 WAD with it, but I copied the .nds and renamed them, then used a hex editor to make them search for a different name to "doom.wad" allowing me to have multiple on my DS all at once, so I was asking if maybe I could do something similar? I'm not sure exactly how this mod works, but if it searches for "id1" perhaps I could hex edit to search for "id2" and just copy a new folder so I have 1 unmodded and one modded, or perhaps it searches for another file?

Hopefully I've made my question clear now, thanks for any help :thumbup:

p.s If this is possible I'll be happy to do it and upload it like I did for the Doom IWAD thread.

simonjhall
July 15th, 2007, 17:16
<snip>So at the moment you've got two different executables? How are they different? And are they in the same place in the drive's directory structure? What happens exactly when you start QDS?

If the game is defaulting to something that's not the stock Quake game, have you tried deleting your qdsopts.txt file? This file tells the game that you want to start the mod.

And is there any hypotetical date for that big RAM -build?No date I'm afraid. I restarted working on it about a week ago but tbh it's not going as well as I hoped. I was also planning on working on it this weekend, but I've got such a bad hangover today that I don't think I could stomach a big coding sesh!
As a rough date, I'd like to get something out within six weeks which supports slot-2 RAM expansions, adds music, fixes texture bugs etc etc. Cool?

iso jussi
July 15th, 2007, 17:55
Cool?

Correctamundo :cool:

x999x
July 16th, 2007, 07:23
Hey thanks for the help but that isn't exactly what I meant, they're seperate physical files alright, but when I start QuakeDS. I can no longer use the regular Quake single player, I can only use the deathmatch. And after fiddling the only way to get back the original quake is to totally remove this mod, so I was asking if there's a way to make it seperate? so I have QuakeDS.nds and QuakeDeathmatchDS.nds for example.

With Doom it was thought you could only use 1 WAD with it, but I copied the .nds and renamed them, then used a hex editor to make them search for a different name to "doom.wad" allowing me to have multiple on my DS all at once, so I was asking if maybe I could do something similar? I'm not sure exactly how this mod works, but if it searches for "id1" perhaps I could hex edit to search for "id2" and just copy a new folder so I have 1 unmodded and one modded, or perhaps it searches for another file?

Hopefully I've made my question clear now, thanks for any help :thumbup:

p.s If this is possible I'll be happy to do it and upload it like I did for the Doom IWAD thread.

1- It really shouldn't mess your QuakeDS up by using this mod. It's just a folder and qdsopts.txt file. That txt file is a command line, and tells QuakeDS what to do next, and in my case, it tells Rocket Arena to start.

2- Starting QuakeDS with or without a commandline is on my wishlist :) I'd like to see something like a preloader that just lets you select which qdsopts.txt file to boot, or holding down the "A" button when you launch QDS reads or bypasses the qdsopts.txt :)

PS- I think the Rail Arena Mod should be released this week, I've sat on it long enough ;) Ready for another Simon?

simonjhall
July 16th, 2007, 07:50
PS- I think the Rail Arena Mod should be released this week, I've sat on it long enough ;) Ready for another Simon?Knock 'em dead, mate.
I think this one should run a whole lot smoothly, now that you know the magic of <newline> ;-)

simonjhall
July 22nd, 2007, 17:45
So, how's rail arena coming on then?

YamiEX8117
September 6th, 2007, 18:54
Help! I need a bit of help with QuakeDS because I do everything right,put the folders where's they're supposed to be,but then I get an error where it says something has too many vertices.Any pointers on how I could get this working right?Oh yeah,it was Progs/V_shot.mdl has too many vertices.What is that?

The King is Dead
September 8th, 2007, 12:10
Dude excellent addition to QuakeDS!
Just thought i'd mention that on my version, it plays great, but the sound cuts in and out kinda randomly, not sure if this is a prob for everyone, also on rocket arena i cant fire the rocket launcher on ocassion lol.... im using the latest Supercard slot 1.

Dude plz make more maps!! BUT THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU'VE DONE SO FAR!!!!

skroooagh
September 13th, 2007, 07:49
x999x, awesome work! And of course, simonjhall for the port!

I have a couple of questions that someone might be able to answer.

Firstly, is it possible to run more than one bot at a time? I changed the +maxplayers bit in the qdsopts file to 4 but it didn't make a difference.

Secondly, is it possible to use a bot as a co-op partner in regular Quake?

Lastly, I've added a whole bunch of DM maps to the PAK and edited the dmstart.cfg file accordingly, but rather than randomly or even sequentially moving through the levels, it plays through a few and then eventually keeps going back to the same map. Is there any way I could fix this?

Thanks again!

SkippyShwarz
October 14th, 2007, 23:44
Unfortunately, it seems QuakeDS currently has a 2 player maximum hard coded into the engine. I've removed it, but am unable to get it to compile.

Also, I have frikbot running on this. How many it can support, I won't know until I can get the hard coded limit removed, but I'm hoping for at least 3 so I can get some CTF action going on.

skroooagh
October 15th, 2007, 04:44
Apparently performance suffers dramatically with more than two players so the cap was implimented to keep things playable. The next update or EXRAM build should hopefully help matters in that regard.

I MUCH prefer Frikbot to Omicron, so if you have any files/wlkthroughs/etc that you could post up that would helps others to get this working, please do!

justwannadl
November 7th, 2007, 19:37
Ran out of texture handles!
Trying to make a texture for progs/eyes.mdl

Freezes at that in console at boot. works w/out bot pack

nintendofreak103
November 10th, 2007, 20:19
im having the same problem

noobish123
November 30th, 2007, 10:38
sorry but im having a problem running this version aswell...

im sure i got all the right files in the right place and when i run it...it freezes at
"ran out of texture handles!"
"trying to make a texture for progs/eyes.mdl"

123Waffle101
December 27th, 2007, 23:09
i cant get the pak file to extract...the zip file is corrupt

DSmanic!
April 8th, 2008, 11:42
I don't know if anyone has worked this out yet but you can play the deathmatch arena maps!!!

You start up XP Load Zone like normal (Deathmatch:button A) then open up the console and type:

map dm#

(#) is a single-digit number 1 to 6

and you warp to 6 death match arena maps and play against the single bot like normal!!!

The maps run as slow as the single player game but with 8MB RAM expansion (Ez Flash 3-in-1 please!) it's certainly playable and lots of fun.

Using the console you can also enter cheat codes which only work for the single player game:

Crosshair 1: Crosshair
fly: Toggle immunity to gravity on/off (when on, D key=up, C key=down)
give 3: Acquire double-barrelled shotgun
give 4: Acquire nailgun
give 5: Acquire super nailgun ("Perforator" weapon)
give 6: Acquire grenade launcher
give 7: Acquire rocket launcher
give 8: Acquire Thunderbolt (lightning-bolt weapon)
give c #: Have # energy cells (# is any number from 0 to 16777215)
give n #: Have # nails (# is any number from 0 to 16777215)
give r #: Have # rockets/grenades (# is any number from 0 to 16777215)
give s #: Have # shotgun shells (# is any number from 0 to 16777215)
give h #: Have # percent health until next map (# is any number, 1 to 32767)
god: Toggle player's invincibility on/off (toggled off upon map exit or Warp)
impulse 9: Acquire all weapons, maximum ammo plus 100 cells, and both keys
impulse 11: Add a Rune to player's inventory (to a maximum of 4 Runes)
impulse 255 (or impulse -1): Acquire Quad-Damage Artifact (30-second limit)
kill: Begin again on current map (with original health, weapons, ammo, etc.)
map e#m#: Warp to new map (first # is Episode number, second # is map number)
map dm#: Warp to Deathmatch Arena map # (# is a single-digit number, 1 to 6)
map end: Warp to the final regular-play map "SHUB-NIGGURATH'S PIT"
map start: Warp to the "INTRODUCTION" map, where player chooses Skill/Episode
noclip: Toggle walk-through-walls mode on/off (when on, D key=up, C key=down)
notarget: Toggle ability of unprovoked monsters to detect player off/on
r_fullbright 1: All solid surfaces are bright (cancelled by r_fullbright 0)
skill #: Set skill to # (# is 0 to 3: 0=Easy, 1=Normal, 2=Hard, 3=Nightmare)

Much thanks to x999x for this wonderful mod. :thumbup:

BTW this is my first post. Got into NDS homebrew for a month and it's already an addiction! :)

DSmanic!
April 25th, 2008, 12:41
Sorry for double post but its only way to get ppls attention. I juz got the EZ flash V which rocks btw, so i can finally play Quake 2 which runs faster than i thought.

However, when it came to plaing Quakeds it didnt run any faster when it came to spawing the bot in wpc. Sure i tried overclockn but dunno if it was my imagination but it appeared to run slower than my previous 8mb RAM that comes with the Opera browser (if you buy it that is)

Sure single player game runs quicker when over clocked with rocket arena and XP Load Zone runs fast without overclocking so why does wpc maps run slower with added bots if you got the xtra RAM? Can this be fixed?

Also is it possible to change the crosshair to the red dot laser? I tried myself using a hex prog with a patch that works on the pc game but all i managed to change was the little cursor on the console which shows up when something is loading, lol.

updowners
October 1st, 2008, 07:02
Where's rail arena?

hurrdurr
April 18th, 2012, 19:22
Hi! I know the thread is quite old, but where can I download this mod?