PDA

View Full Version : Please help...I'm begging

pbeadle
July 7th, 2007, 12:57
I've posted this is in a few other forums around the net and I can't get any help. I've looked all over and I can't find any sort of faq or tutorial that's easy enough for someone like me (who's a complete amateur) to use. Here's my problem:

I'm a total, total, newbie. I can't stress this enough. I really have no idea what I'm doing so let me start at the beginning.

I had a buddy a few years back who helped me with a dream snes and a nester emulator for my dreamcast (they should all be legal because I own all the original carts). Well, I recently pulled my dreamcast out of storage and have been enjoying my old games but I thought it would be nice to have a genesis emulator as well (Again, I own the carts but I don't have a working Genesis).

The problem is I have no idea what to do. I've been at all sorts of websites and I can't find a basic enough tutorial that can relate to fools like me. I can't figure out SBI files RAR files, discjuggler, alcohol 120...etc.

I got as far as using a program called Bootdreams which at least gives me the dreamcast startup screen, instead of going directly into the audio cd menu, but it just loops over and over. I don't know what to do now. I have zipped files of the DC Generator emulator and zipped files of all the roms I will be using but now what? I have SB inducer on my computer but I have no idea what to do with it? Is it even necessary because of the other Bootdream program? AAAARGGHH, this is frustrating. I've also managed (I think) to burn an image with disc juggler but I have no idea what that's for or what to do with it. I hope I'm clear enough in what my problem is and I will greatly appreciate any help I get.

As a secondary question...I'm also trying to create a VMU tool CD from blue swirl and am having no luck here as well. Anyone familiar with this or can offer any advice? Thanks!

Christuserloeser
July 7th, 2007, 13:32
Try Speud's website: http://bswirl.kitsunet.org/

- You can also find this and many other images at www.dcevolution.net ;)

Regarding DCGenerator: I can't recommend this one. It's very old and doesn't support sound.

Try GenesisPlusDC instead:
http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.php/Main/GenesisPlusDC
http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.php/Main/GenesisPlusDC-How-to-burn

pbeadle
July 7th, 2007, 15:13
Thank you so much! Within minutes I had Genesis Plus up and running on my Dreamcast. It's great!

I do have one small snafu though...there's no sound. I haven't tried all the games but out of the 15 or so that I have tried there hasn't been sound. I put the rom files into the directory zipped. I tried to burn a second copy with unzipping the files but there aren't any recognized roms in the unzipped format. Do you have any suggestions?

And thanks again!

nate9999
July 7th, 2007, 16:57
I have this emu (its the one without a gui, just a list of roms, right?). The only thing i can think of is maybe a button gets pressed on accident. This emu has many options at the top of the screen that all correspond to buttons on the controller. I was used to hitting "A" to pick my roms, but if you do in this emu, it switches video modes and you dont even notice until some games don't work the same. Make sure you are pressing start to play your roms and not hitting any other buttons. If that doesnt work, there is a switch between processor types at the top between FAME (or something like that) and another one with a few numbers. Try alternating those for your games. Make sure the sound is on too, i have also accidentally turned this off and not even noticed it as well (but then again, i can be quite retarded sometimes). Hope this all helps.

By the way, i always keep my roms unzipped too, even if emus support being zipped. They are so small that it doesnt matter, unless FOR REAL trying to fit 1024 roms to a disc, but nobody can say without lying that they own THAT many games. Being zipped just seems like one more thing for the DC to deal with to me (but then again, like i said im retarded :) )