PDA

View Full Version : My theory on the PS3

IndianCheese
July 7th, 2007, 21:07
The PS3 seems like a great system...it is a media master, it is PSP-compatible, it has an internet browser, and can play old PS1 and PS2 games. However, what really upsets me is that Sony spent too much time piling features into the PS3, and not enough time perfecting them.

Let's start with the media. The PS3 can play music, videos, and photos. But it only supports a limited amount of codecs. For videos, it only plays certain codecs, and they all have the MP4 extension. For music, it has support for MP3s, WAVs, and WMAs...but what happened to to the increasingly popular, space-saving OGG format? However, the photo section is pretty complete.

Now PSP-compatibility. You can connect your PSP to your PS3 with USB and transfer files. Sweet. But everyone was psyched when we found out about Remote Play, which lets us access our PS3 over WiFi. Imagine our disappointment when we found out that we only use it to play music, videos, or photos on the hard drive or Memory Stick. No Blu-Ray playing, no DVD playing, no game playing, etc. All the stuff that really matters.

The internet browser. Not a lot to complain about, here. Except for the fact that there is a better one on the Nintendo Wii that is faster to use.

PS2 and PS1 compatibility. Now here is where Sony really messed up. Yeah, you can play your PS2 and PS1 games on the PS3, but instead of working out all of the bugs on each game, they made a sweet little online database of every bug in every game. In addition, there seems to be little support for "odd" controllers, like dance pads or guitars. How disappointing, since DDRMAX2 and Guitar Hero II are my favorite PS2 games.

I'm sure that a lot of people weren't expecting that the video game leader for all these years wouldn't goof like this, but they did. I think it's safe to say (for me, at least) that I could have waited another 6 months to perfect the system before releasing it with half-ass features.

Comments?

mavsman4457
July 8th, 2007, 00:50
Its a business, and waiting 6 months would have put them out of it. It's getting better and better every day. It is gaining codecs with each new firmware update and Guitar Hero 1 does work with the guitar. I bet DDR might even work and if it doesn't then it will soon. If you wanted them to wait to release the system and "perfect it", then just pretend it isn't out yet and once they get more codecs and there is support for Guitar Hero 2 and DDR then I will break the news that Sony has released their brand new Playstation 3 and you won't even have to wait in line to buy it. OK sorry to be annoying about it but seriously, I do think that it sucks that they don't have what you want but firmware updates will fix most of those things and as I said before it is a business and if they waited much longer they would have been out of the market.

BrokenHaiku
July 11th, 2007, 00:12
You have lot of opinions, but not one single theory : ).

JKKDARK
July 11th, 2007, 00:22
My theory on the PS3:

It sucks

enough said http://209.85.12.234/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Their next model (which comes with 80GB) will be a commercial failure, it doesn't include the Emotion Engine, so it will be exactly like the PAL PlayStation 3.